Idea for a reclining seat in the dining area, 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Idea for a reclining seat in the dining area, 5.0TA

Let me prefix this with some background. I am widowed so it is just me & the dog. I rarely use the table and since I don't need a bunch of seating I really don't need the full use of the dinette area. In my Aframe I have extended the kitchen shelf over the dinette seat on that side & use the space under for storage. I expect the same in an Escape.

To give me more space in the Aframe I have made a drop leaf table/storage area that rests on the bed rails that opens up the space and I use my Lafuma lounge chair inside. In the Escape, specifically the 5.0TA, I want the U dinette arrangement for the base cabinets. The Lagun mount with a "shrinking" top looks like the thing to have to still have the table to pay bills on and other uses but get it out of the way.

The raised floor area, esp with the rear bench, does not look like it will leave enough room for the Lafuma without being tilted or rig a riser for the front. As an alternative, I was thinking that this seat ...

on the rear bench area with a footstool might satisfactorily substitute for the Lafuma.

I suspect that if it was on top of the bench cushion it would end up too high to match up with the folding footstool I already have as well as insufficient base to recline the seat. Therefore, both the seat & back cushions would need removed. The build could also specify a deeper base.

It would not look so good to have the full width, even as small as it is, bare, even with this seat in place. Covering it in carpet would help but I think there might be an alternative that would be better and there is the reason for this post. I'm not to the point yet of presenting my questions to ETI because if I do enough research, including asking here, I can give them the 99% complete list & not piecemeal.

Do you think that ETI would make the main part of the rear bench cushions in multiple pieces, similar to the current "filler" cushions?

This would allow an area to be removed for this seat. If multiple cushions are sized properly it could allow for multiple seat locations while maintaining a lot of the lounge look and even be more functional if needed with all of the cushions in place. And there would be less need to find someplace to store the unused cushions.

The Lagun mount, when the table is installed, will dictate somewhat how the cushion is divided into sections for this seat but with the right number and sizing of the cushions it could be quite versatile. More thinking, with actual measurements and even mockups, would determine the number and sizes.

Is it possible, would it work, are there alternatives to give me hours of comfy reclining to read or to fall asleep in while watching tv? Using the L seating that will be left after my kitchen counter extension does not really allow for the usual sprawl out into the corner with added cushions with feet on the unused space - which I don't find comfy long term anyway.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another member, Jon V. installed one of these in his 21 Escape. Not sure if he had the factory do anything different, but he has one now. As far as the "U" dinette, I'm under the impression the spec's shown are more less fixed, perhaps an inch or two more or less, but Escape is standardizing some of their builds inside.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Other than the plywood supports, which are their for structural reasons, you may have more flexibility with the cushions, I'm sure you could have the cushions cut into custom pieces for a fee.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:52 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Another member, Jon V. installed one of these in his 21 Escape.
Jon had such a seat in his 17. I'm not sure if he also uses it in his 21. Perhaps he'll chime in. There were no factory mods. He just removed the cushion and placed it on the bench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
Do you think that ETI would make the main part of the rear bench cushions in multiple pieces, similar to the current "filler" cushions?
As for the factory modifying the cushions, I don't see why not. You could always ask.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Hey,there! Glad to see you here!

I asked about split cushions and was told yes. It was imho very pricey. I would have to go check old emails, but I wanted one of the bench cushions cut in two pieces and I think the quote was $150-200. I used 2 alternative cushions that I got in the garden section at target. Of course they are not the density and fabric quality as the ETI ones, but they fit perfectly and suit my purpose just fine.

Edited to add this was last November.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #6

Trailer: none
Tom W mentioned the raised floor in the dinette area which I had not noticed before I went and looked again at the photos on the ETI website. What is the purpose of the raised dinette? What's under there?
Old 08-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
21 raised dinette floor

Hi Greg- when ETI first introduced the 21 and the 5.0TA they were the only trailers without a raised floor in the rear. There was an ergonomic problem with the seating being so high and some of us did a raised floor mod. Gen2 models now have it.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:59 PM   #8

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hi Greg- when ETI first introduced the 21 and the 5.0TA they were the only trailers without a raised floor in the rear. There was an ergonomic problem with the seating being so high and some of us did a raised floor mod. Gen2 models now have it.

Thanks, Ross! So there is nothing under the raised area then?
Old 08-03-2018, 10:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
The fresh tank is still underneath, yet it is another 3-4 inches lower which means if installing a Springfield pedestal there is no need to worry about penetrating the shell with screws.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
... I wanted one of the bench cushions cut in two pieces and I think the quote was $150-200.
Ouch.

I wonder if that was for the mod itself or essentially per cut. I guess I’ll find out since I’d expect it to be 3 cushions.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
The West Marine Highback Chair was recently on sale in early July for $99.00 with free shipping. I got one for my 5.0TA. I have the U shape dinette with a filler board and cushion but without a table. I do have a fold up "stooge" table on the passenger side dinette. On a recent 8 day camping trip in the mountains I used it in the back passenger side corner and really enjoyed it. I just put it on top of the existing cushions. Great for reading and drinking coffee. Much more comfortable than the existing cushions. Very confusing to unfold and recline until you get the hang of it. There are two hinges, the top hinge easily unfolds and lets the go to a 90 degree angle. To get it to recline I fold it up, push the front of the chair against something and push on the back hinges. The lower hinge will then unlock and allow the seat to recline almost flat. Then lift up and let it go to whatever recline position you want. Took me a while to figure it out but now it is easy.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 E19
One possible solution: take the standard cushion, and ask for an extra section of fabric. When you get the trailer, open the cover and cut the foam in the desired places, then have a local shop sew proper-fitting covers for all 3 pieces. The extra fabric should take care of it. It's probably less expensive to have it done this way, but you'll want to sound out the idea locally and get a rough estimate first.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:54 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We have a much simpler solution for improving the comfort in the dinettes. We have two of those pillows with arms https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...arms+target&hl. The bench seats are too deep anyway so this works great. We also will toss them into the corners of the bed on the 17b to turn the bed into a comfortable lounge area.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:52 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Jon had such a seat in his 17. I'm not sure if he also uses it in his 21. Perhaps he'll chime in. There were no factory mods. He just removed the cushion and placed it on the bench.
As for the factory modifying the cushions, I don't see why not. You could always ask.
As Steve (SFDavis50) mentioned, the sale price on the West marine High Backed chair convinced me that I needed one in the new 21. They were great in the 17, and just fit as replacements for the front cushions. I added some fake leather to the plywood doors to the front storage areas and set the chairs on the plywood.

For the 21, I pulled the passenger side cushions (bottom & back) to add the High Backed chair, but have not covered the plywood seat (yet). I originally thought I'd need to make some small, filler cushions to fill in around the chair, but it is wide enough that it pretty much fills the space left when the 21's cushions are removed.

It is a bit more difficult with the 21 since I never expected to make up the front bed in the 17, but want to keep the ability in the 21. I felt the chair was too high when placed on the cushions (although with the Lagun table mount, I could just raise the table to a comfortable height). Of course that would make it uncomfortable for guests sitting on the standard cushions.

In any case, storing the cushions so you will have them to make the bed is a bit of a pain. Right now one is at the foot of the bed, and the other in the back of the truck. Other than that, I love the chair. Very comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0941.jpg  
Old 08-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
It sure fits nice in the space you have it. In the 5.0TA I intend to have it across the back on either side of the Lagun mount so there would be more base lid exposed.

Tags
dinette, recliner, seating