In process of the build quote! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2018, 07:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Rpod 182G
In process of the build quote!

You folks have been great and Linda at ETI as well! The build quote for the 5.0TA is close to being finalized with a couple more decisions to be made.

1) I put my inverter in my current trailer. I plan on having ETI do it this time around. I do like it being integrated. Thoughts?

2) We are awning window fans.. I don't like the sliders and am opting for them. You folks are making me nervous about the issues they have had with theirs..

3) We also are opting for the rear dinette window to be operable. Dis-appointed I have to go with the insulation upgrade to do this.. Really don't understand why.. Anyone here have that opening dinette window? Could you shoot me a picture of it?

4) I am a dual 6v battery fan. Forgot to ask what brand they use to check them out.

5) When it comes to television/radio I have never been a fan of on-board systems. We have always used our own with bluetooth speakers. How good is the on-board system really? Please be honest. I'm opting out so far on their system and debating that decision..

Those are the biggies so far..
olddawgsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddawgsrule View Post
You folks have been great and Linda at ETI as well! The build quote for the 5.0TA is close to being finalized with a couple more decisions to be made.

2) We are awning window fans.. I don't like the sliders and am opting for them. You folks are making me nervous about the issues they have had with theirs..
We are also in the ordering process. We go hiking a lot and are often away from the trailer all day. We travel with our cats and need to be able to leave some windows open for ventilation (and just hearing and smelling what's going on outside) for them, and couldn't go away and leave sliders open in case it rained while we were gone. So for us the awning windows were essential, and we placed our order a little sooner that we had planned since they were being discontinued.

Certainly there has been some small percentage of the frameless windows with problems, but there are also many people who have had them and found them to be trouble-free. We are willing to accept the possibility that we could have a problem because we really need that feature. You couldn't find any RV component that hasn't had some small failure rate so that can happen with anything, it just goes with the territory. The furnace and AC both failed on our previous rig. Even a small failure rate is a problem for ETI, so I can understand them discontinuing the frameless windows, but likely the majority of them will be just fine. And if a window needs replacing, I'll learn how to remove and replace a window since we're all the way down in Texas.

One thing I am confident of is that if you have a problem with any component of the trailer, you will get far better service and support from ETI than from any other manufacturer.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
1) If you are ever planning to use a larger 1500W inverter, definitely get Escape to do it. I did my own and saved a whole $100 and put in 5 hours of work. Not worth it.

2) Love my awning windows, both the look and function. Fingers crossed, but I never had an issue.

3) With frameless awning windows, the rear window is operating. I believe with sliders it is not. IMO the insulation upgrade, along with thermal windows, is the number one option to get. Keeps heat out in the hot weather, and in when cold. Much quieter too.

4) Interstate. Though I provided my own AGMs.

5) I too just use a bluetooth speaker connected to the laptop when playing movies on the TV. I use the UE Boom2, a fantastic yet compact waterproof speaker.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:29 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 towing with a 2019 Honda Ridgeline
While I am new to the Escape world, I have had trailers and other RVs for many years and can add my 2c to your questions...

1) I put my inverter in my current trailer. I plan on having ETI do it this time around. I do like it being integrated. Thoughts? I used to be a fan of integrated inverters, but not any more. I found them to be big energy hogs when boondocking. I switched to a 12v TV, and boil water for a drip coffee maker. I do have a small inverter that I can run from a 12v outlet if needed. Aside from those items, not sure what an inverter would be used for aside from a microwave? I did have them install a couple extra 12v/USB outlets for convenience and charging devices.

2) We are awning window fans.. I don't like the sliders and am opting for them. You folks are making me nervous about the issues they have had with theirs..In my order for a 19, I switched from awning to sliders due to repeated reliability reports. I don't mind sliders.

3) We also are opting for the rear dinette window to be operable. Dis-appointed I have to go with the insulation upgrade to do this.. Really don't understand why.. Anyone here have that opening dinette window? Could you shoot me a picture of it? can't comment here. my rear window is above the bed, so I don't need it operable.

4) I am a dual 6v battery fan. Forgot to ask what brand they use to check them out. I too am a big fan of dual 6v. I had them just put the single 12v in, and I will install my 6v batteries (from Costco) myself at home.

5) When it comes to television/radio I have never been a fan of on-board systems. We have always used our own with bluetooth speakers. How good is the on-board system really? Please be honest. I'm opting out so far on their system and debating that decision..I have a fancy integrated CD/DVD/bluetooth in my current trailer and never use it. It's a pain to use, and as you said, portable bluetooth speakers are easier/more flexible in my opinion.
the5reeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Pretty much the same as Jim above.

1. Cost me about the same for my DIY inverter and xfer switch install and took all day. The only + is that I got to select my own components. I only rigged in 1/2 the trailer.

2&3 NA in 2014

4. Given a choice I;d do the same as Jim and bring my own AGM's. The indoor flooded cause propane alarms, and contrary to what folks say, I can smell the off gassing, both at a high rate of charge.

5. Used to use my Ipod, now my phone is my source, with a blue tooth set of speakers. What I don't have is a radio, well actually I have one in the cabinet but rarely put it out. On my last trailer I used the built in car radio often. Think I'd like a built in radio with weather band, but I'll probably never do it. If it was mounted right over the back of the U dinette I'd use it. I did get the optional stereo prewire.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
One observation, if you are going for the factory solar option (which is a slam dunk as far as I am concerned), you have to take the dual 6V battery option. You don't have the option of accepting their 12V battery and putting in your own twin 6V batteries as was suggested.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Used to use my Ipod, now my phone is my source, with a blue tooth set of speakers. What I don't have is a radio,

Go to App Store and get Radioplayer for your iPhone.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:02 PM   #8

I take it it would be picking up internet based radio stations? I like being able to get local weather, news, and so forth as well as public radio stations.

I have a android as opposed to an Iphone but I'll look into what they have available.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Mine is the Canadian version. I use it for local radio. Could probably listen to WLS Chicago if I searched. Only downside is you need wifi or you will be using data ( not much data I suspect ).
I also have a CBC radio app that I use to listen to specific shows that I missed.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
One observation, if you are going for the factory solar option (which is a slam dunk as far as I am concerned), you have to take the dual 6V battery option. You don't have the option of accepting their 12V battery and putting in your own twin 6V batteries as was suggested.
Can't say I looked into it as it's long past, but I was thinking more of bringing your own 6v'ers to ETI at pickup. I know they won't sell a trailer without batteries so they'd need them before you took control of the trailer. Of course if you asked and they said no, then that's that.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:38 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Can't say I looked into it as it's long past, but I was thinking more of bringing your own 6v'ers to ETI at pickup. I know they won't sell a trailer without batteries so they'd need them before you took control of the trailer. Of course if you asked and they said no, then that's that.
Do not see them doing this as it prevents hook up and testing solar and batteries during pre delivery systems check. When you arrive the trailer's systems have been checked, probably days before and then it sits until pick up.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Do not see them doing this as it prevents hook up and testing solar and batteries during pre delivery systems check. When you arrive the trailer's systems have been checked, probably days before and then it sits until pick up.
They have done this for a bunch of folks, myself included. Just plug the trailer in without batteries and the 12V works via the converter.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddawgsrule View Post

1) I put my inverter in my current trailer. I plan on having ETI do it this time around. I do like it being integrated. Thoughts?

3) We also are opting for the rear dinette window to be operable. Dis-appointed I have to go with the insulation upgrade to do this.. Really don't understand why.. Anyone here have that opening dinette window? Could you shoot me a picture of it?

4) I am a dual 6v battery fan. Forgot to ask what brand they use to check them out.

5) When it comes to television/radio I have never been a fan of on-board systems. We have always used our own with bluetooth speakers. How good is the on-board system really? Please be honest. I'm opting out so far on their system and debating that decision..

Those are the biggies so far..
I completed a build for my upcoming 19 about 6 weeks ago. I nixed the inverter because I did not get the microwave, and we're fine using a drip filter for making coffee, so no coffee maker needed. We have no desire for TV and camp to unplug. Can't think of anything else I might want to plug in when boondocked, but I guess we'll see on that one. I too stayed with the frameless thermal windows, largely because I wanted the option to open the rear window, but also I love the streamlined look and believe we can manage ours so they don't end up with the problems others have reported. But yeah, I'm a bit nervous too. Extra insulation is a very desirable option because we're planning on camping in early spring and late fall, and boondocking in the summer without a/c. I think you'll be glad you have it. As someone else pointed out, if you have the solar panel, the dual 6v batteries are a must. And finally, against the advice of almost everyone, I opted for the stereo and speaker system. The reason is nearly all the places I want to camp do not have cell service or wi fi, so streaming music is not an option. But you can get radio. Also I will be able to home the multitude of CDs I've collected over the past three decades in the trailer, and listen to them when the mood strikes without having to deal with additional devices to keep track of and charged. It's always in the trailer, and all one has to do is turn it on. But yep, who knows if I'll ever actually use the thing!! I wanted the option, however. We're picking our 19 up at the beginning of Sept, so after that I'll know better how many mistakes I made with the build We just started receiving our build photos, so it's pretty much a done deal!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote