Indoor/Outdoor Temperature Displays - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2016, 10:20 PM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Using a phone app to read the outside temperature while inside with the phone would mean having a working internet connection (mobile network or WiFi) for the data (and the ads), and the location being one effectively reported by the app's service... neither part is always the situation when camping, but sure, if it works use it.
Campground I stayed at in Coos Bay last year had absolutely no cell coverage. It was kind of funny watching people walk around trying to get coverage. You had to use the pay phone if you wanted to make a phone call. Least it didn't have a rotary dial!

NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Very rarely a problem to not have coverage any more even remote at least in US, but coverage also updates as you go into town for supplies etc, so it is always pretty current on temps and forecasts. Seems like a lot of folks on here also install cell amps and antennas to always have coverage as much as possible. If you don't have a smart phone then this definitely won't be an option for you for sure. I certainly understand the resistance to smart phones, wish we could throw them all in a lake. However, I've personally found the phone has eliminated buying quite a few extra gadgets.

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:34 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Not when you don't have a smart phone nor any desire to get one. I'll spend that monthly fee on other stuff, thank you very much. Like this temperature gauge!

We have the clamshell type and will keep 'em as long as we can. I know we're not the only ones on this forum with that type and without any plans to change to a smart phone, as it's been discussed elsewhere already.
I also had a clamshell and did not want to change. But AARP which was providing my service made me get rid of it as it wouldn't work with their latest technology. Guess maybe there was some other clamshell I could have gotten from them but now have a smartphone instead. I only have phone, however, no text or data. Now I see that I can get 30 MB (and some texts --- don't use them) for only $2.50 and 200 MB (and lots of texts) for $5. So that might be worth getting.

Maybe I will see how far 30 MB gets me. I also use an iPad. I understand that even though my iPad data is AT&T and so is the phone, sometimes people may get reception for one and not the other.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:51 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L 4x4
Fun gadgets, for sure, but my wife and I still go "old school." One of us will step outside then come back in after a bit and say to the other something like, "It's really nice outside." or "You might want to put on a light jacket." Been doing that for decades going back to our tent-camping days, and it still works just fine for us - no batteries, wifi or backlighting required.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:18 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Smart phones have this feature. It's a button that allows you to turn it off, or to turn it on and use all the other features, apps for almost anything.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:30 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 19' #2
These work great for outside temp and can be placed or secured almost anywhere. Also works great for refrigerator temps. You can read the refrigerator temp in the TV and they have alerts in case something goes to high. They are Bluetooth so no data required but you need some kid of phone or tablet that has Bluetooth.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3FMIYHRLE9HNB
Old 12-18-2016, 07:48 AM   #17

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Fun gadgets, for sure, but my wife and I still go "old school." One of us will step outside then come back in after a bit and say to the other something like, "It's really nice outside." or "You might want to put on a light jacket." Been doing that for decades going back to our tent-camping days, and it still works just fine for us - no batteries, wifi or backlighting required.
Yeah, that's pretty much me as well! I never really learned to trust weather forecasts and just go by what's outside my window. There's few things Dirk requested for the trailer and this was one of 'em.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:41 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Just get a small rock and tie it to a string where you can see it from a window while inside the trailer. You can always find rocks! Be kind and leave it hanging for the next camper that takes your site
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:54 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I was all set to replace my 2-sensor Acurite wireless with that neat one with the 3 sensors because when I wake up in the morning I need to know the temperature in the trailer, in the fridge, and outside the trailer. But it only comes with 1 remote sensor, and extras cost $10 each.

Then as mentioned, noticed I already got temp info for the trailer and the fridge. Camping world sells the Kleer Temp Thermometer, a window stick-on, for $9 (--plus $10 for shipping(!)). It's old school analog, so right up my alley. Be damned if I will pay that shipping cost rip-off. Will spend the gas money and drive to Camping World instead.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #20

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2015 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Also, where the heck does everyone put the outdoor temperature gauge?
We package our outdoor unit in a couple of ziploc bags and zap strap and tape it to the underside of the trailer. That gives the unit air movement and shade. Having an indoor and outdoor unit allows us to make an informed decision whether to throw open the windows or keep it sealed up when the temperature starts rising. So far the border guards have not noticed it but we look squeaky clean enough that no one's looked under the trailer....yet. Sooner or later they'll pull it down and be sorely disappointed.

davescape is offline   Reply With Quote