Indoor/Outdoor Temperature Displays - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Indoor/Outdoor Temperature Displays

We're trying to decide on what to get for an indoor/outdoor temperature display. I want one that mounts on the wall, but doesn't take up an entire wall. Needs to be easy to read but also able to completely turn off at night so the light doesn't keep me awake. (Yeah, we're getting blackout curtains for a reason.)

Also, where the heck does everyone put the outdoor temperature gauge?

I'm hoping to get a bazillion suggestions and links so I can figure out what we want to get. I figure by asking on this forum I'll get suggestions on ones that work and are fairly accurate.

A wind sensor might be helpful, but maybe not. Dunno on that.

Thanks much folks!

www.UnderKittySupervision.com

NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA on order
Laura,

We use this setup primarily to monitor the fridge temp but keep the additional sensor stuck on the trailer under the awning. Works quite well (note: remove the batteries when in storage to prolong their life). https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...FURrfgodkuYDjw

Rich

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA Classic (Old School)
Laura, we have been very happy with this one: https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Techno...or+thermometer
We mounted the display with 3M tape and velcro in the loft on the passenger side. No backlight to bother you at night, with large easy to read numbers. We put the outside sensor in the propane compartment. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are FUN!
Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
We got a small battery-operated one, by Crosse, that we originally were going to wall-mount. But, we now just use the flip-out little tab on back, and set it on our table, or wherever. The outside sensor clips on a base that we bolted to the back side of our storage box; it's always out of the sun, and there's no holes in the trailer itself. We take it off the base and stow it when on the road.

Ours shows the time, inside and outside temps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weather station 003.jpg (173.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg weather station 004.jpg (150.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 12-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I also use a "portable one" which I leave on the table during the day and on the counter at night. (so that I can determine if I need heat before getting up in the AM) The batteries come out when not in use. I store the outside gauge on top of the propane tank figuring that I will see it when turning off the propane before leaving the campsite.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I got the Tempminder thermometer which supports three remote sensors, from Camping World. I have had great results ordering from their online store, including prompt customer service. I got two extra sensors so I can monitor inside, outside, refrigerator, and freezer. After a year and a half, it works great. I put the outside sensor in the propane case which is not too good when the sun shines on it but it stays put and I don't want to lose it. There is no light in the reading unit so no problem with night lighting. I mounted it on the end of the storage cabinet above the passenger dinette, right next to the door.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:00 PM   #7

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Lots to choose from!

Holy Cow, but does Amazon have a bazillion of these temperature thermometers and what not. I think I spent hours looking at 'em and reading the reviews. Narrowed it down to two and then read this thread and looked at the one Bill suggested. Or rather the brand name.

Decided to try this one. I wanted a wall mount, I like that it's black and doesn't show me twenty different million things I don't want or won't understand. The upcoming forecast would be worthless when you're traveling around as it needs 14 days to learn. I don't think I'll be in any one place for that long - least not for the foreseeable future. Humidity - yeah, whatever. If I sweat, I sweat. Reading what the humidity is won't really help me there.

So, we'll see. Thanks everyone for your input - greatly appreciate it.

Oh, by the way, I was reading the reviews on the LaCrosse brands and a fair amount of people said their customer service sucked big time. Oh joy.

Anyway, here's my decision:

https://www.amazon.com/Minder-MRI-20...ds=temp+minder

Now to read up on compact microwave/toaster oven/convection ovens to see what's what and what will fit and what will work and all that fun stuff. Least I can toss out any that don't have two shelves/racks, so that helps a lot there.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Most all phones have temps now at ur current location. Indoor temp is already right on the digital thermostat. Big iPhone app @thermometer very popular. Seems to be a duplication and unnecessary expense.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Most all phones have temps now at ur current location. Indoor temp is already right on the digital thermostat. Big iPhone app @thermometer very popular. Seems to be a duplication and unnecessary expense.
Using a phone app to read the outside temperature while inside with the phone would mean having a working internet connection (mobile network or WiFi) for the data (and the ads), and the location being one effectively reported by the app's service... neither part is always the situation when camping, but sure, if it works use it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Not when you don't have a smart phone nor any desire to get one. I'll spend that monthly fee on other stuff, thank you very much. Like this temperature gauge!

We have the clamshell type and will keep 'em as long as we can. I know we're not the only ones on this forum with that type and without any plans to change to a smart phone, as it's been discussed elsewhere already.