Indoor/Outdoor Temperature Displays - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2016, 11:32 AM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Indoor/Outdoor Temperature Displays

We're trying to decide on what to get for an indoor/outdoor temperature display. I want one that mounts on the wall, but doesn't take up an entire wall. Needs to be easy to read but also able to completely turn off at night so the light doesn't keep me awake. (Yeah, we're getting blackout curtains for a reason.)

Also, where the heck does everyone put the outdoor temperature gauge?

I'm hoping to get a bazillion suggestions and links so I can figure out what we want to get. I figure by asking on this forum I'll get suggestions on ones that work and are fairly accurate.

A wind sensor might be helpful, but maybe not. Dunno on that.

Thanks much folks!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Laura,

We use this setup primarily to monitor the fridge temp but keep the additional sensor stuck on the trailer under the awning. Works quite well (note: remove the batteries when in storage to prolong their life). https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...FURrfgodkuYDjw

Rich
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Laura, we have been very happy with this one: https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Techno...or+thermometer
We mounted the display with 3M tape and velcro in the loft on the passenger side. No backlight to bother you at night, with large easy to read numbers. We put the outside sensor in the propane compartment. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are FUN!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
We got a small battery-operated one, by Crosse, that we originally were going to wall-mount. But, we now just use the flip-out little tab on back, and set it on our table, or wherever. The outside sensor clips on a base that we bolted to the back side of our storage box; it's always out of the sun, and there's no holes in the trailer itself. We take it off the base and stow it when on the road.

Ours shows the time, inside and outside temps.
Attached Thumbnails
weather station 003.jpg   weather station 004.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I also use a "portable one" which I leave on the table during the day and on the counter at night. (so that I can determine if I need heat before getting up in the AM) The batteries come out when not in use. I store the outside gauge on top of the propane tank figuring that I will see it when turning off the propane before leaving the campsite.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I got the Tempminder thermometer which supports three remote sensors, from Camping World. I have had great results ordering from their online store, including prompt customer service. I got two extra sensors so I can monitor inside, outside, refrigerator, and freezer. After a year and a half, it works great. I put the outside sensor in the propane case which is not too good when the sun shines on it but it stays put and I don't want to lose it. There is no light in the reading unit so no problem with night lighting. I mounted it on the end of the storage cabinet above the passenger dinette, right next to the door.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #7

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Lots to choose from!

Holy Cow, but does Amazon have a bazillion of these temperature thermometers and what not. I think I spent hours looking at 'em and reading the reviews. Narrowed it down to two and then read this thread and looked at the one Bill suggested. Or rather the brand name.

Decided to try this one. I wanted a wall mount, I like that it's black and doesn't show me twenty different million things I don't want or won't understand. The upcoming forecast would be worthless when you're traveling around as it needs 14 days to learn. I don't think I'll be in any one place for that long - least not for the foreseeable future. Humidity - yeah, whatever. If I sweat, I sweat. Reading what the humidity is won't really help me there.

So, we'll see. Thanks everyone for your input - greatly appreciate it.

Oh, by the way, I was reading the reviews on the LaCrosse brands and a fair amount of people said their customer service sucked big time. Oh joy.

Anyway, here's my decision:

https://www.amazon.com/Minder-MRI-20...ds=temp+minder

Now to read up on compact microwave/toaster oven/convection ovens to see what's what and what will fit and what will work and all that fun stuff. Least I can toss out any that don't have two shelves/racks, so that helps a lot there.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Most all phones have temps now at ur current location. Indoor temp is already right on the digital thermostat. Big iPhone app @thermometer very popular. Seems to be a duplication and unnecessary expense.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Most all phones have temps now at ur current location. Indoor temp is already right on the digital thermostat. Big iPhone app @thermometer very popular. Seems to be a duplication and unnecessary expense.
Using a phone app to read the outside temperature while inside with the phone would mean having a working internet connection (mobile network or WiFi) for the data (and the ads), and the location being one effectively reported by the app's service... neither part is always the situation when camping, but sure, if it works use it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Not when you don't have a smart phone nor any desire to get one. I'll spend that monthly fee on other stuff, thank you very much. Like this temperature gauge!

We have the clamshell type and will keep 'em as long as we can. I know we're not the only ones on this forum with that type and without any plans to change to a smart phone, as it's been discussed elsewhere already.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Using a phone app to read the outside temperature while inside with the phone would mean having a working internet connection (mobile network or WiFi) for the data (and the ads), and the location being one effectively reported by the app's service... neither part is always the situation when camping, but sure, if it works use it.
Campground I stayed at in Coos Bay last year had absolutely no cell coverage. It was kind of funny watching people walk around trying to get coverage. You had to use the pay phone if you wanted to make a phone call. Least it didn't have a rotary dial!
Old 12-17-2016, 11:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Very rarely a problem to not have coverage any more even remote at least in US, but coverage also updates as you go into town for supplies etc, so it is always pretty current on temps and forecasts. Seems like a lot of folks on here also install cell amps and antennas to always have coverage as much as possible. If you don't have a smart phone then this definitely won't be an option for you for sure. I certainly understand the resistance to smart phones, wish we could throw them all in a lake. However, I've personally found the phone has eliminated buying quite a few extra gadgets.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:34 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Not when you don't have a smart phone nor any desire to get one. I'll spend that monthly fee on other stuff, thank you very much. Like this temperature gauge!

We have the clamshell type and will keep 'em as long as we can. I know we're not the only ones on this forum with that type and without any plans to change to a smart phone, as it's been discussed elsewhere already.
I also had a clamshell and did not want to change. But AARP which was providing my service made me get rid of it as it wouldn't work with their latest technology. Guess maybe there was some other clamshell I could have gotten from them but now have a smartphone instead. I only have phone, however, no text or data. Now I see that I can get 30 MB (and some texts --- don't use them) for only $2.50 and 200 MB (and lots of texts) for $5. So that might be worth getting.

Maybe I will see how far 30 MB gets me. I also use an iPad. I understand that even though my iPad data is AT&T and so is the phone, sometimes people may get reception for one and not the other.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:51 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Fun gadgets, for sure, but my wife and I still go "old school." One of us will step outside then come back in after a bit and say to the other something like, "It's really nice outside." or "You might want to put on a light jacket." Been doing that for decades going back to our tent-camping days, and it still works just fine for us - no batteries, wifi or backlighting required.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:18 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Smart phones have this feature. It's a button that allows you to turn it off, or to turn it on and use all the other features, apps for almost anything.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:30 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
These work great for outside temp and can be placed or secured almost anywhere. Also works great for refrigerator temps. You can read the refrigerator temp in the TV and they have alerts in case something goes to high. They are Bluetooth so no data required but you need some kid of phone or tablet that has Bluetooth.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3FMIYHRLE9HNB
Old 12-18-2016, 07:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Fun gadgets, for sure, but my wife and I still go "old school." One of us will step outside then come back in after a bit and say to the other something like, "It's really nice outside." or "You might want to put on a light jacket." Been doing that for decades going back to our tent-camping days, and it still works just fine for us - no batteries, wifi or backlighting required.
Yeah, that's pretty much me as well! I never really learned to trust weather forecasts and just go by what's outside my window. There's few things Dirk requested for the trailer and this was one of 'em.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:41 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Just get a small rock and tie it to a string where you can see it from a window while inside the trailer. You can always find rocks! Be kind and leave it hanging for the next camper that takes your site
Attached Thumbnails
wweather-forecasting-stone-ty-fishin-if-stone-is-wet-its-3142350.png  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:54 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I was all set to replace my 2-sensor Acurite wireless with that neat one with the 3 sensors because when I wake up in the morning I need to know the temperature in the trailer, in the fridge, and outside the trailer. But it only comes with 1 remote sensor, and extras cost $10 each.

Then as mentioned, noticed I already got temp info for the trailer and the fridge. Camping world sells the Kleer Temp Thermometer, a window stick-on, for $9 (--plus $10 for shipping(!)). It's old school analog, so right up my alley. Be damned if I will pay that shipping cost rip-off. Will spend the gas money and drive to Camping World instead.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #20

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Also, where the heck does everyone put the outdoor temperature gauge?
We package our outdoor unit in a couple of ziploc bags and zap strap and tape it to the underside of the trailer. That gives the unit air movement and shade. Having an indoor and outdoor unit allows us to make an informed decision whether to throw open the windows or keep it sealed up when the temperature starts rising. So far the border guards have not noticed it but we look squeaky clean enough that no one's looked under the trailer....yet. Sooner or later they'll pull it down and be sorely disappointed.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote