Insulation/thermal windows - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Insulation/thermal windows

I am finally considering extra installation for our trailer. We didn't think we needed it since we live down south and don't plan to do cold-weather camping. But a couple of people told us it would be helpful in hot weather and we wouldn't have to run our air-conditioner as much.
I noticed that thermal windows come with that option, But my husband really likes the Side to side sliding windows to let fresh air pour in on good weather days. don't think side to side sliding windows come insulated do they?
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I believe that the new options for insulation/insulated windows are the new frameless style only. I don't know if Reace will do the insulation only, without the insulated windows, as they are a package now.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
You will not regret getting the thermo windows and insulation but you may regret not getting them.

Remember rain and water running down the walls can come in the slider windows and you can not leave them open in the rain. Not as much of a problem with the awning windows.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
The reason for this is Hehr Mfg doesn't want to onesie-twosie parts and because Escape doesn't make 5,000 trailers a year they had to pare down and standardize- not an exact quote but this was the jist of what Reace told me when I asked about a non-split rear frameless window.

Ordering half the insulation package was always an off-label option; we were going to do that for $500 however our single pane window order fell through due to half the windows being back ordered. Having had both I would say the dual pane sliders operate better. Just one of those things that they aren't available anymore.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The heat loss / heat gain is greater through the windows than through the walls . Insulating the walls without installing thermopane windows would do little to improve cold weather performance . The insulation and Windows are offered as a package for a good reason.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Good point, when I had my Eggcamper and was looking into installing thermal windows, the distributor said I was wasting my money since I had a single fiberglass hull and little or no insulation.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Living in Northern Minnesota / Wisconsin , we are more aware of the factors that affect heating a structure . We live in an area with a design temperature of 25 below zero and almost 9000 degree days.
Our cabin has R 40 walls R 60 ceilings , thermopane argon filled low E windows . The windows account for over 50% of our heat loss.
Many people in my area with older moderately sized homes have heat bills which exceed $500 / month in the winter.
If you ever sat in a chair next to a single pane window when it's 25 below with a strong wind , you will soon discover the advantage of having good windows.
I wish someone would design / build an RV window with a non metallic frame to stop the conductivity lose through the window frame.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #8

another reason for the new frameless widows.....
Old 01-02-2017, 01:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
I am finally considering extra installation for our trailer. We didn't think we needed it since we live down south and don't plan to do cold-weather camping. But a couple of people told us it would be helpful in hot weather and we wouldn't have to run our air-conditioner as much.
I noticed that thermal windows come with that option, But my husband really likes the Side to side sliding windows to let fresh air pour in on good weather days. don't think side to side sliding windows come insulated do they?
I remain puzzled as to where the idea came from that the awning windows let less air in. My simple geometric calculations indicate that the awning windows actually have more square inches of open area. They have the full length of each window times about 3 inches and then the triangles on the sides, which is again 3 inches by the entire height (when both sides are considered.) My sliders don't even open an entire half, the top is angled in, which catches rain and brings it inside, the frame intrudes more on the inside, and there is no thermal break on the outside, as there is with the new frameless windows. (see previous pictures and posts on new windows and insulation.) Again, no question in my mind, the new windows are better, a good deal and desirable in both hot and cold climates.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Tim, I have thought that exact same thing about the new windows.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:16 PM   #11

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
you can get the non-frameless insulated windows (slider type) and the extra insulation.... saves money versus frameless windows too if that is important......
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I have not seen the new awning style windows in person, so I'm just asking out of curiosity regarding security, not paranoia. How easy might it be for some mischief-maker to simply grab the bottom of the window, give it a quick jerk outward, and break the open/close mechanism to gain access to the camper? Again, just asking because I've never seen it or checked it out in person regarding how security it is. And yes, I understand that all windows can be broken and with enough determination all campers can be broken into in one way or another. My question is about the security of this particular new awning-style window.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I have not seen the new awning style windows in person, so I'm just asking out of curiosity regarding security, not paranoia. How easy might it be for some mischief-maker to simply grab the bottom of the window, give it a quick jerk outward, and break the open/close mechanism to gain access to the camper? Again, just asking because I've never seen it or checked it out in person regarding how security it is. And yes, I understand that all windows can be broken and with enough determination all campers can be broken into in one way or another. My question is about the security of this particular new awning-style window.
Might be faster and easier to just use a cordless Sawzall to cut access.

I bet the new windows are at least as tough to break in through as the older style sliders.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
View from my post here

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...tml#post148353
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #15

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
insulation

Steve, our house has the same windows and similar insulation but no heating bills, just a bit of electric bill during the summer.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
I remain puzzled as to where the idea came from that the awning windows let less air in. ...... Again, no question in my mind, the new windows are better, a good deal and desirable in both hot and cold climates.
I believe back when they were first installed, the person who took the pictures made that comment, it was their opinion only.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
you can get the non-frameless insulated windows (slider type) and the extra insulation.... saves money versus frameless windows too if that is important......
Extra insulation only comes with the frameless windows now.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
I remain puzzled as to where the idea came from that the awning windows let less air in.
If you read the big sticky forums those trailers that have had the frameless windows for a number of years now, that comment isn't uncommon from people that have had both types sliders vs frameless in use in the wild. Perhaps that is where that came from, but really don't know one way or another.
It will be good to hear from Escape folks that have the new windows how they fare over the next two to three years as that will be the true comparison.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:27 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Given the number of windows in an Escape, ventilation should not be a problem. For their large size, some other RVs sure have very few opening windows. Given ventilation area vs inside volume, an Escape will be right on top, even with the new windows.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Extra insulation only comes with the frameless windows now.
This isn't what I recalled, so I checked the Escape website. I had the Escape 21' page open in my browser and checked the Options list which included both of these:
Quote:
Extra Insulation & Thermal Windows $1000.00
Extra Insulation & Frame-less Thermal Windows (Includes Opening Rear Window) $1,500.00
The lists for all of the other models showed only the frameless "thermal" windows with insulation. I thought the website was incorrect (and posted that), but reloaded the 21' page and the non-frameless option disappeared. This must be a very recent change... but yes, it does look like the wall/ceiling insulation package is now available only with the "frameless" windows.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote