Insulation- to insul or not to insul - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2016, 11:26 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Insulation- to insul or not to insul

Insulation seems to be very expensive. Just wondering if it is worth it, or necessary. Does it really help much? What about condensation. Has anyone experienced non-insulated and then insulated?
Nancy
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We've had both and not an overwhelming difference, but some improvement with the thermal package. We would definitely get the thermal Windows/insulation but we didn't want the spray foam underneath. If we were going to be predominately camping in cold or hot extremes we might consider the spray foam, but we'll be mostly in warm climates and not predominately in air conditioner hot either. Guess it really depends on how ur going to use it.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:40 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Insulation helps keep the cold and heat out as well as noise. Without such you just about hear the crickets outside. If you plan on traveling out of state, well worth it.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:24 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
"You can never miss what you've never had." That being said, I don't have it and have never felt the need for the spray foam insulation. I do have the thermal windows and extra Reflextic. I camp all months except December. Temperatures from high 20s-low 30s to high 90s, but not for days on end either. The vents across the top of the trailer aren't insulated... I think more noise could be heard from those rather than radiated from underneath the trailer....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:37 AM   #5

I agree Donna, that the foam is not noise protection but the whole entire package, thermal windows and the extra insulation as well as the foam makes the entire trailer better. The question was about insulation as a whole, I believe.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:53 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Is there a problem with condensation dripping down the walls and windows in the Escape? I know with our new Casita last year we were in a bad thunderstorm we had a couple of rivets from the roof that started leaking slowly, evidently they weren't sealed well to begin with, but the whole trailer was damp, cold and condensation running down the windows. I kept trying to dry off the windows. We took our trailer back to Casita and they did a good job of sealing up the rivets. So I am wondering if we get the insulation package or thermal windows would that solve the condensation problem?
That was a pretty miserable night for us. We had just pulled into a rv park that was rated 9.5 by Good Sams, to get out of the storm, had a bad electrical connection that was in a puddle, driving into the park we picked up a nail in our tire and I was trying to cook a simple meal in the microwave without enough power to run it. AAA and my husband was out in the rain fixing the tire. The Manager of the place was upstairs watching and she sent toothless Bubba to show us our site and discover which site had electricity... he hooked us up wrong too. We survived the night.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:10 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Nancy, I can't answer for anyone other than myself. I've had zero problems with condensation in Ten Forward. No frost on the window frames either. BUT, I'm a solo camper, no pets inside and run the stove vent fan and Maxx fan when I cook. I think about 80% of my camping is in the cold rain, so I spend plenty of time inside. The difference between the thermal windows in my 5er and those dang single pane windows in the Scamp is tremendous and I'm glad I got the extra insulation too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:11 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
We followed advise from this forum, and overnight, but especially colder or rainy nights, we keep the rear window cracked and Maxx-Fan vent open about an inch. We have no condensation issues in the morning.
I do have a question about Toothless Bubba though; Did he wear a belt? Suspenders? both Belt and Suspenders? or Neither?

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
We followed advise from this forum, and overnight, but especially colder or rainy nights, we keep the rear window cracked and Maxx-Fan vent open about an inch. We have no condensation issues in the morning.
I do have a question about Toothless Bubba though; Did he wear a belt? Suspenders? both Belt and Suspenders? or Neither?
Hi: Steve Clark... He certainly wouldn't be able to sink his teeth into any kind of suspension issue!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:50 AM   #10

Unlike the Casita, there are no rivets and using the MaxxFan eliminates most condensation issues and with thermal windows your glass stays clear. I'm curious, why you did not use your stove for cooking dinner, no hook ups needed. You will find the difference between Casita and Escape as night and day, I had an EggCamper and felt this way.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:01 AM   #11

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Is there a problem with condensation dripping down the walls and windows in the Escape? I know with our new Casita last year we were in a bad thunderstorm we had a couple of rivets from the roof that started leaking slowly, evidently they weren't sealed well to begin with, but the whole trailer was damp, cold and condensation running down the windows. I kept trying to dry off the windows. We took our trailer back to Casita and they did a good job of sealing up the rivets. So I am wondering if we get the insulation package or thermal windows would that solve the condensation problem?
That was a pretty miserable night for us. We had just pulled into a rv park that was rated 9.5 by Good Sams, to get out of the storm, had a bad electrical connection that was in a puddle, driving into the park we picked up a nail in our tire and I was trying to cook a simple meal in the microwave without enough power to run it. AAA and my husband was out in the rain fixing the tire. The Manager of the place was upstairs watching and she sent toothless Bubba to show us our site and discover which site had electricity... he hooked us up wrong too. We survived the night.
just a random thought about your unfortunate experience....at least tent camping one does not pay a fortune to have a miserable experience...
The extra insulation in a trailer like an Escape with almost razor thin fiberglass walls is probably a good thing and one I would plan to get if buying the Escape..
The windows condensation apparently you can't do much about except ventilate and maybe buy thermal windows which are possibly better than non-thermal ...
There are a number of reasons not to buy the spray foam underneath, which probably the most logical is any repair needed underneath the foam is real bummer to do....

all just an opinion...with the exception of the spray foam, the other two items will probably increase the resale value if/when you sell the trailer...
the good news is you survived the night with a toothless Bubba as campground host!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:10 AM   #12

Zero condensation issues here in AZ. We did have some condensation when we picked up in Nov with temps in the 30s and staying in the Pacific Northwet. After putting the maxx fan on low overnight it resolved most of it.
The condensation issues if they happen are nil compared to the Scamp, haven't owned a Casita but imagine they're similar to the Scamp. Again, it really depends where and how you predominantly use the trailer and where.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:59 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I have the thermal windows, extra insulation, and the spray foam underneath. The 1st 2 I would get again, the foam is a toss up. I've had it for 2 years now, camped in all types of weather, still don't know if it was worth getting.

All trailers have condensation issues, probably worse the smaller the trailer. You have to learn to live with it, doing what you can to limit it.

Limiting showers and indoor cooking when the weather is conductive to condensation, we have had very little in the 5.0TA.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have a Casita so I have no actual knowledge of the Escape spray on floor insulation. We live in Northern Wisconsin and our Casita has zero insulation in the floor. When camping in the fall and winter we have encountered frozen carpeting and on occasion our shoes have frozen to the floor . Bare feet is not an option in the winter. One of the Escape's features that has attracted us is the the ability to add additional insulation ( Thermal windows + wall insulation + floor insulation + insulated / heated tanks.) Our camping season is very short (4 to 5 months) so anything that can extend the season is of value to us. Spending $30 or 40 K on a trailer that has limited use versus spending a few dollars more and being able to extend our camping season by 50% makes sense to us. We are both retired so the only thing that limits our camping season is weather and money.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #15

Steve, if you're retired and you are camping with frozen carpet you need to come down to AZ and enjoy the fall, winter and spring. We've never even heard of camping with frozen carpet in any trailer...
Old 05-31-2016, 02:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Steve, if you're retired and you are camping with frozen carpet you need to come down to AZ and enjoy the fall, winter and spring. We've never even heard of camping with frozen carpet in any trailer...
Thanks but NO thanks . We use to go South in the Winter but even in Winter the temps are too hot for our liking . If you come up here in the winter , I will gladly introduce you to frozen carpeting or frozen anything else you would like to see. Bring your tackle box and we can go ice fishing.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:54 PM   #17

Steve,
I love to eat Walleye, but I'm like you in reverse, don't want the frozen toes that go with landing one. I might take you up on the fishing in July or August.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Steve,
I love to eat Walleye, but I'm like you in reverse, don't want the frozen toes that go with landing one. I might take you up on the fishing in July or August.
It's too hot here in the summer so we go to Canada to fish.
When the lakes warm up here the Walleyes go deep and can be hard to catch. Heading to Manitoba ,Canada on Sunday for a week of fishing .
Temps are supposed to be in the 50's & 60"s and no snow is predicted , so almost perfect weather. If you ever get the chance to make a fishing trip to Canada ,go for it . There are 3 guys in our fishing group and this will be our 37th annual Canadian fishing trip .,One nice thing about Canada is that they speak a dialect of English so if you pay attention you can almost understand what they are saying.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:11 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
One nice thing about Canada is that they speak a dialect of English so if you pay attention you can almost understand what they are saying.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:56 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA Sold
Clearly you haven't been to the east coast yet!

Sometimes not having any idea where we're going works out better than we could possibly have imagined. Ann Patchett
runnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote