Insulation under trailer + heating pads - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfsten View Post
...have learned from reading posts that the tank level sensors should be replaced with the Horst sensors...
I think you will get many contradictory views on this statement as "should" is very strong.

Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #52
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
The probes should be installed during production, then have the foam seal them. I have had the foam on all 3 of my Escapes without any issues.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #53

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
What's your take on replacing the sensors Karen?
parfsten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #54

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Sensors... some have good luck with the originals, some do not. If you want them to work, get them replaced during the build. Most of 5lthe folks that have issues learn to live with it, like me. I should have had them replaced.

Foam, it has saved a couple road objects from slamming into the fresh tank. Hard to tell if it's saved us from having freezing issues. Had no insulation on my old trailer and had no problems either.

Hard to advise one way or the other.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #55

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
What's your take on replacing the sensors Karen?
Since I have a 15A, I don't have an experienced "take" on them not having any tanks other than a fresh-water tank. That one I can just bend over to see it under the trailer (no insulation). I merely am suggesting that there are differences of opinion on this forum regarding the Horst probes...some think they're necessary and others don't give a hoot about such accuracy. I'd be in the latter group if I had gray- and black-water holding tanks.
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #56

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I just placed my order for a 17B and now the options journey begins. I am thinking of adding the foam under the trailer - have learned from reading posts that the tank level sensors should be replaced with the Horst sensors - wondering what other possible maintenance problems would arise requiring removal of foam. Have you experienced problems requiring removal of the foam and how did it go? Second time around would you still choose to add the foam?
Being a stellar example of the "if enough people say it's a must have, I must have it!" mentality, I purchased the Horst Probes and had Escape install them. So far, me being an exemplary follower has paid off, and the probes haven proven accurate over the time we have owned the trailer (if I said only 4 or so weeks' worth of camping in the 5.0TA, it would make me sound like a complete noob, so I left that out. Wait...oh shoot!!)

However, when I looked online and saw the differences in the probes, even to my oft-befuddled mind, it seemed that if the probe had a protector over it as the Horst does, vs. nothing to keep say a piece of toilet paper from gently laying over the bare probe to give a false reading, the covered probe wins. And even in my brain, where there are so many competing voices...it made me happy.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:53 AM   #57

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Sorry for reviving this old thread again, but I just found that ETI will not install the heat tape any more -- even if you supply it. They said they have done it for a few customers in the past but don't feel comfortable with the idea after speaking with some suppliers. They suggest not getting the spray foam applied, having a heating contractor do the pads and tape, and then come back for the spray foam or have it done locally. To clarify, they still do the pads, just not the tape.

Went back and forth on this one but we decided to stick with the heating pads and spray foam. For only $200 extra having the heat pads seems better than nothing even if it's not a 100% solution. We probably don't even really need them, but it's cheap so why not.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:27 PM   #58

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
... However, when I looked online and saw the differences in the probes, even to my oft-befuddled mind, it seemed that if the probe had a protector over it as the Horst does, vs. nothing to keep say a piece of toilet paper from gently laying over the bare probe to give a false reading, the covered probe wins. And even in my brain, where there are so many competing voices...it made me happy.
Not everything in the black tank abides by the rules of gravity alone. What if something "sloshes" up between the replacement probe's sensor and so-intended protective hood and gets lodged in the gap? Seems that could cause a constant erroneous reading, too. With the protective hood now covering and protecting the "sloshed element", how does one dislodge that? Just asking (no graphic images or explanations, please). Seems that it would be at least somewhat easier to clean and maintain the probes without a hood potentially blocking the spray of a cleaning nozzle or whatever. Does that even make sense?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #59

Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2012 Chevy Colorado
Just remember that even if you add heating pads, the black water tank line itself is unheated and will not flow at temps below about 20 degrees. Insulating the black water line delays but does not solve the problem as eventually the liquid sitting in that 3" diameter pipe will freeze, or at least become sludgelike and not flow (even with 100% pink stuff). If you want to fix this, ask Escape if they would install another gate valve right at the junction of the black water tank and the discharge pipe so that the pipe is EMPTY until you dump. (This assumes design has not been improved since we bought our unit)
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:18 PM   #60

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Not everything in the black tank abides by the rules of gravity alone. What if something "sloshes" up between the replacement probe's sensor and so-intended protective hood and gets lodged in the gap? Seems that could cause a constant erroneous reading, too. With the protective hood now covering and protecting the "sloshed element", how does one dislodge that? Just asking (no graphic images or explanations, please). Seems that it would be at least somewhat easier to clean and maintain the probes without a hood potentially blocking the spray of a cleaning nozzle or whatever. Does that even make sense?
Suppose almost anything is possible, but I've never heard of it with the Horst whereas almost everyone has issues with the standard probes. Although I believe someone here had issues with them.