Interior Grab Bar Location - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2018, 02:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Interior Grab Bar Location

The build sheet for my Escape 19 is due tomorrow and I am thinking of adding an interior grab bar to be installed at orientation. According to my salesperson, I need to specify on which side of the door it will be mounted on since the area needs to be reinforced.
I am thinking that on the right hand side when exiting the trailer makes more sense. Can someone who has done this weigh in so I can finally turn this build sheet in and pop open a bottle of champagne?
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You already have one there, there is a chrome support pole right at the edge by the door and very useful to use when exiting the trailer...
Old 02-08-2018, 04:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
I’ve been cautious about using the stripper pole not knowing how much pressure can be put on it. Using for reinforcing your footing going down is not going to compromise it? Please say no!
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #4

I used it in my 21 for 2 years and in my 19 for over a year, no issues have been reported elsewhere either.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiki724 View Post
The build sheet for my Escape 19 is due tomorrow and I am thinking of adding an interior grab bar to be installed at orientation. According to my salesperson, I need to specify on which side of the door it will be mounted on since the area needs to be reinforced.
I am thinking that on the right hand side when exiting the trailer makes more sense. Can someone who has done this weigh in so I can finally turn this build sheet in and pop open a bottle of champagne?
Ours is on the right. Just thinking about how much it matters, if at all: Yes, it matters to us! When leaving the trailer we open the latch w/the left hand, and the right hand automatically goes to the handle/grab bar. On windy days, when closing the door, we can reach out and grab it, and maintain hold on the door with our left hand, while the right hand has the handle/grab bar.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
that chrome pole seems very solid on my E'21. my wife has very short legs and bad knees and needs all the help she can get to climb up/down steps, this pole certainly seems to help her.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #7

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
My interior grab handle is the same one as on the outside and is placed on the right side of the door as you exit. The door frame IS reinforced. The only real question was height, as DW is 5 foot tall and I am all of 5' 7". YMMV
Old 02-22-2018, 08:29 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Following up on this issue, I received a reply from Escape that they will not install an interior grab handle in this location, the reason given that this area is hollow and would have no support. I was surprised by this since others have had it installed.
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #9

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Following up on this issue, I received a reply from Escape that they will not install an interior grab handle in this location, the reason given that this area is hollow and would have no support. I was surprised by this since others have had it installed.
I'll have to watch this thread as we were thinking of installing a handle on the inside of the door frame behind the existing outer one. The pole is to far back to me to use when stepping out so we thought a handle on the inside would be perfect.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Not sure about the 19', but on our 21', the outside grab handle is screwed into the door frame for secure support. Seems like it wouldn't take much to drill all the way through the door frame and use two long bolts to secure an inside grab handle to the outside grab handle with the door frame providing support between the two. Problems with that might include: 1) the inside grab handle compressing the vinyl foam interior wall cover and what that might look like and/or damage, and 2) finding suitable bolt heads and nuts that can do the job but still be hidden by the little grab handle hardware covers. How about mounting a lower grab handle to the sink cabinetry just inside the door? Best of luck...
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:16 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Lowes Bath Dept, $18.00. I bolted it through to the inside. Can't do that on the left side on my older model 19.
Attached Thumbnails
grab2.jpg  
Old 02-22-2018, 11:45 AM   #12

On my classic 19 I installed inside and tapped into the counter for reinforcement. This was pre stripper pole units.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2018, 01:08 PM   #13

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Quote:
My trailer is stored away from my home and I don't have pictures. The inside handle is placed on the right side as one is standing inside the trailer and is located a few inches above the top of the outside door handle. I have no idea why ETI wouldn't install it there now.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I got The same answer. Because I'm having high lift I will need an inside hAndle for safety. I have the same one as Myron in my bathroom at home and I really like it. I ordered the refrig wall on the door side of my in-production 17 reinforced which will add some weight but I figure I need to get in and out without an accident. So I am planning on figuring out a way to install it on the right side of the door when facing out.

Edited To add that I asked them to wAit and install the outside handle when I get there so it's not too high.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
At our November 2017 orientation for our Escape 21, we had an interior grab handle installed to the right of the door. It was a duplicate of the outside handle, and mounted about a half handle lower as per my wife's instructions on that day. It compresses the interior foam slightly, but it's not an issue. It is used regularly, and appears to be as solid as the outside one.
Ross & Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I just use the door frame to steady myself, when necessary. It runs from the floor to the ceiling, more or less.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Charlie (Tractors) on another thread, has pointed out the significant framing around the new flat doors: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...tos-12399.html

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote