Inverter option - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #41

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcovey View Post
Yes, we chose to have all outlets powered by the inverter. I guess I need to know how to turn it on? Newbie problems!
mcovey, the remote for our 2016 21' Inverter is on the inside dinette bench, passenger side. There is a little button on the bottom of the display. To turn on the inverter, depress the button and wait 20-30 seconds for the inverter to boot-up. You will hear the inverter beep, followed by the microwave beep (if the microwave is plugged in). After the beeps, all outlets, including the micro are ready for use. Good luck!

Edit: What Robert said......

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #42

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
what does the inverter do

We're looking at the build sheet and trying to determine pricing in a general sense but I confess that I don't know what an inverter does; can you clarify the purpose of this device?

I'm guessing that the inverter "cleans" the power supplied on the line to the devices which are plugged in to prevent power spikes and dips.

Am I close?
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post

Am I close?
No. Converters are like battery chargers and inverters change 12 volt power to 110 volts alternating current, the same as your house.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
We're looking at the build sheet and trying to determine pricing in a general sense but I confess that I don't know what an inverter does; can you clarify the purpose of this device?

I'm guessing that the inverter "cleans" the power supplied on the line to the devices which are plugged in to prevent power spikes and dips.

Am I close?
You can use an Escape supplied 1500W inverter to run small 120V appliances for a short period of time. It is highly recommended that you have the solar and dual battery option before you get one, as batteries can drain quickly. It is something that can be quite handy to use for short periods of time, but nothing that allows you to run off batteries for very long.

If you will mostly be connected to the grid and a constant supply of 120V AC, and inverter might not be that useful.

For small loads like phone chargers, laptops and TVs, a smaller plug in style would work fine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #45

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
Ohhhh, so I guess we really don't need to worry about having an inverter just now since 95% of our camping is probably "connected."
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:55 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If connected, you will want the EMS by Progressive, it gives you "clean power" all the time. Here is the one Escape installs
Progressive Industries, Inc. | Rv Surge Protection
Old 09-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Ohhhh, so I guess we really don't need to worry about having an inverter just now since 95% of our camping is probably "connected."
Probably. If you want to use an AC outlet when NOT connected to shore power, you need an Inverter. Otherwise, no point.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
We got the inverter because I like having options but having said that we have almost completely eliminated 120 VAC appliances and toys. We can do everything we need to do with 12 VDC now so the inverter is just an expensive weight. We got the 160 watt solar panel and the 6V batteries. As of today we have not plugged into outside power in 30 days. 30 days in Forest Service and BLM campgrounds with no hookups. The 160 watt panel can handle the task of recharging the batteries as long as there is sun, so far. There was a stretch of partly cloudy days and I would deploy a portable 100 watt panel to supplement the 160. Inverter? I say no...but I'm still glad I have it being the kind of guy I am.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:34 AM   #49

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
I'm with Stephan on this. Two days ago I used my invertor to roast two batches of coffee beans during a lunch break. I was sitting in a ocean view area near the Umpqua light house in Oregon. What an incredible view!!!

I roast in a 110V West Bend Poppery hot air pop corn popper. My batteries took about a 25% hit on charge but I had enough coffee to survive another four days.

Theoretically, I could have roasted in a pan over the propane stove, but I wouldn't want to try it. I can easily grind and brew without 110V, but for me, being able to roast coffee makes my invertor invaluable.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:43 AM   #50

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
And folks bust my chops cause I want to run our electric blanket.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:53 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Why would they bust your chops over that, you wimp!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-30-2017, 09:36 AM   #52
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Not me! I'll be using mine next week at Fall NOG Crisp air in the trailer, warm and toasty under the blanket. Makes for good sleepin'
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:46 AM   #53

The thought of wrapping myself in an EMF does not really appeal to me, nor does the thought of sweltering in bed. Fortunately after the first few minutes of warming up the bed, both of us are always warm and cozy. If needed the wool blanket comes out for under the duvet.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:00 AM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The thought of wrapping myself in an EMF does not really appeal to me, nor does the thought of sweltering in bed. Fortunately after the first few minutes of warming up the bed, both of us are always warm and cozy. If needed the wool blanket comes out for under the duvet.
This is what makes forums... interesting. I certainly don't want to "swelter" either. That's what the dial and on/off button is for. It's not an all-or-nothing. Nor is there a "both of us" in my trailer. Not even a dog to warm my feet. But, when I'm camping and have been outside for hours and my teeth are literally chattering, that very warm bed is oh-so-wonderful. The last Spring NOG at L.L. Stub Stewart was exactly that. Even my bone marrow was cold from being outside with the group in the wind. That extra plug I had put in Ten Forward so I can use my electric blanket is one of my better choices Isn't it grand we can have a trailer built for US!
Old 09-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #55

Donna, you seriously have to get that cabana boy option installed.

To be honest, I have never actually tried an electric blanket. And you are spot on, it is great that we can customize our trailer to suit our individual needs.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #56

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I'm electric challenged, so this thread makes me tired. However, every time I read a thread like this I learn a little.

For my new Escape, I plan to get the standard trailer, no extra outlets, no inverter, no solar, no surge protector, standard 12v battery, etc. I'm hoping it will be like my beloved Casita, which I think has converter, 1 12v outlet, maybe 4 or 5 120v dual outlets and works great for me. Thanks
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:18 AM   #57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
For my new Escape, I plan to get the standard trailer, no extra outlets, no inverter, no solar, no surge protector, standard 12v battery, etc. I'm hoping it will be like my beloved Casita, which I think has converter, 1 12v outlet, maybe 4 or 5 120v dual outlets and works great for me. Thanks
I know exactly what you're talking about. Makes my head swim sometimes.

I was once in your place. I still have my beloved Scamp. Cute trailer, lots of great memories attached to it. But, then it was time for a change. One thing I absolutely knew, was how I had camped in the past. And the other, is no one knows their future. The best I could do was dream, keep writing on the bucket list and hope for the best. Based on those decisions, I KNEW my current simple trailer wasn't going to fill-the-bill (otherwise why buy something else?). I DO want to camp in the national parks (no services) and need to plan to be self-sufficient for many days. Too I want to attend the gathering at Dome Rock with all those other egg owners. Camping in the "dirt" for more than a week requires some planning too.

So, while I'm not telling you that you need to spend more money, I'd like to encourage you to really think about tomorrow and next week... next year, etc.

I wish you well.