Inverter option - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
FWIW, we did not get an inverter, but we did get extra 12v outlets. We have a 12v fan (Endless Breeze, made by Fan-Tastic Fan Corp), and we heat water on the (propane) stove for coffee. (We use a Melitta cone and Thermos.) When boondocking (in the Mtns of New Mexico or Colorado, mostly), we just know we cannot use the microwave. Hey, we're camping, after all.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:36 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
When boondocking (in the Mtns of New Mexico or Colorado, mostly), we just know we cannot use the microwave. Hey, we're camping, after all.
Umm, why not? We do. It's not an all or nothing situation. It's a matter of using the microwave sparingly sometimes but usually we have enough battery power to heat a bowl or soup etc.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:15 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Umm, why not? We do. It's not an all or nothing situation. It's a matter of using the microwave sparingly sometimes but usually we have enough battery power to heat a bowl or soup etc.

Ron
Umm, because we didn't get the inverter, and because using the microwave isn't that important to us. Our solar panel is just 3.1 amps, and we got the group 29 battery. YMMV, obviously. I was just reporting our situation, not saying it was for everyone.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:03 AM   #24

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
We bought this toast maker. Haven't used it yet but plan to next week when we are out http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/camp-sto...pBYaAqA58P8HAQ
I keep a piece of tin foil (folded a few layers thick) with our stovetop toaster. I lay it flat across the top of the bread slices. It helps hold the heat in and seems to speed up the toasting.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:33 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Umm, because we didn't get the inverter, and because using the microwave isn't that important to us. Our solar panel is just 3.1 amps, and we got the group 29 battery. YMMV, obviously. I was just reporting our situation, not saying it was for everyone.
Ah, no inverter, well that would make using the microwave more difficult and the one group 29 would be slightly iffy. The only time I put my battery switch to "all" is using the microwave because with only one it can set off the low voltage alarm.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:57 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have a 1000 watt inverter, the 6V, 232 amp hour battery option & 195 watts of solar on the roof with a 160 watt portable panel when necessary (usually in the winter with the low angle sun & short days). No microwave.

While I do make a pot of coffee each morning (600 watts & about 6 amp hours) sometimes use a 2 slice toaster for an English muffin (900 watts and 8-10 amp hours) I do sometimes wish I had a microwave. One of my quick meals is a couple of frozen burritos.

My toaster oven draws too much (17 amps starting current) to use it as an oven on the inverter. My solution when dry camping is to get out my Volcano propane powered grill, combined with a 12" Dutch oven. While it works, it is a lot of work and time for something that would take a 2-3 minute run of a microwave.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:28 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I have a 1000 watt inverter, the 6V, 232 amp hour battery option & 195 watts of solar on the roof with a 160 watt portable panel when necessary (usually in the winter with the low angle sun & short days). No microwave.

While I do make a pot of coffee each morning (600 watts & about 6 amp hours) sometimes use a 2 slice toaster for an English muffin (900 watts and 8-10 amp hours) I do sometimes wish I had a microwave. One of my quick meals is a couple of frozen burritos.

My toaster oven draws too much (17 amps starting current) to use it as an oven on the inverter. My solution when dry camping is to get out my Volcano propane powered grill, combined with a 12" Dutch oven. While it works, it is a lot of work and time for something that would take a 2-3 minute run of a microwave.
Jon, how do you connect the portable panel to the system? Is there a junction box where the roof solar and portable solar meet up? What kind of connection do you have on the exterior of the coach? I'm planning on adding a portable panel but have no idea how to connect everything. Thanks.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
While it works, it is a lot of work and time for something that would take a 2-3 minute run of a microwave.

Although I agree I also think, what is the rush, the whole purpose of camping is to slow down and smell the roses.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:00 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
While it works, it is a lot of work and time for something that would take a 2-3 minute run of a microwave.

Although I agree I also think, what is the rush, the whole purpose of camping is to slow down and smell the roses.
Hi: cpaharley2008... I'd rather smell bacon cooking over a morning after the night before's fire!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1010498.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: cpaharley2008... I'd rather smell bacon cooking over a morning after the night before's fire!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
I wondered what had caused all those greasy splatters all over the rocks in that campsite we had recently. I must have gotten the site after you had been there.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:13 PM   #31

nothing like scrapple cooked in bacon grease......mmmmm good.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Jon, how do you connect the portable panel to the system? Is there a junction box where the roof solar and portable solar meet up? What kind of connection do you have on the exterior of the coach? I'm planning on adding a portable panel but have no idea how to connect everything. Thanks.
I added a second output connector to my portable panel that bypasses the controller. In the trailer I added one of the same connectors the portable panel uses - a automotive SAE connector. I found a surface mount version at SolarSeller.com, item E.

I ran wires from the new connector to the input of the GoPower controller. I did it this way so all the solar panels (and everything else) goes through my Bogart battery monitor, letting me keep track of actual amp hours in and out of the batteries. If you don't have a monitor, you could use the controller built into the portable panel & add a connector directly to the battery(ies).
Old 04-30-2016, 01:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post

I agree on not worrying about a "rush" - I cooked many frozen burritos the slow way while dry camping in Quartzsite this winter. However, there were times I got back to the trailer a little before dark & really didn't want to spend the hour it takes to bake in the Dutch Oven compared to 2-3 minutes in a microwave. Don't get me wrong - I've generally been quite content over the last 5 years without one (no TV either!)

Besides, I'm retired. Haven't been in a rush since 2001...
Old 04-30-2016, 01:29 PM   #34

There you go.....and I bet you do not miss the rush, I know I do not....
Old 04-30-2016, 01:32 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I agree on not worrying about a "rush" - I cooked many frozen burritos the slow way while dry camping in Quartzsite this winter. However, there were times I got back to the trailer a little before dark & really didn't want to spend the hour it takes to bake in the Dutch Oven compared to 2-3 minutes in a microwave. Don't get me wrong - I've generally been quite content over the last 5 years without one (no TV either!)

Besides, I'm retired. Haven't been in a rush since 2001...
Jon I so admire your relaxed and sensible pace of life ..... Bravo. :-)

Thanks Jon for putting the Bogart Battery Monitor on my radar

I added to my build sheet details "pre wire for battery monitor" (as ETI will not wire in a battery monitor)

The cost is fairly minimal, and as we boondock a lot and will have ETI solar plus they will add a tap in plug to add our portable solar on a long wire. Plus dual 6v.... So the Bogart battery monitor will tell us really what is going on.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:03 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
We opted for the inverter. Still have not figured out how to run the microwave when not hooked up to shore power though
mcovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:47 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Our 2014 had the option of larger inverter (1500watt) and smaller inverter. We got the larger.

It also had the option for one outlet to be powered or all of them. We got all of them. I'm not sure if the microwave gets power if you just got "one" outlet powered. It might power the one visible outlet and the microwave.

For us, we push the button to power up the inverter. We see the green led light on the button, and we then use the microwave like we're on shore power, but of course more sparingly.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:10 AM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcovey View Post
We opted for the inverter. Still have not figured out how to run the microwave when not hooked up to shore power though
As others have mentioned, if you have the 1500 watt inverter it should power the microwave, provided the outlet it uses is connected to the inverter. I assume you also got the "automatic transfer switch to all outlets" option as well? If so, the microwave outlet is part of that.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
As others have mentioned, if you have the 1500 watt inverter it should power the microwave, provided the outlet it uses is connected to the inverter. I assume you also got the "automatic transfer switch to all outlets" option as well? If so, the microwave outlet is part of that.
Yes, we chose to have all outlets powered by the inverter. I guess I need to know how to turn it on? Newbie problems!
mcovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcovey View Post
Yes, we chose to have all outlets powered by the inverter. I guess I need to know how to turn it on? Newbie problems!
Just turn on the remote, wait a couple minutes. Voila!

If that doesn't work, the switch on the inverter itself may be in the ON position. Turn it OFF to use the remote.