Inverter option - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2016, 01:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 19' 5/02/17
Inverter option

The $550 option on the build sheet provides one outlet vs $850 for all of them. There is no problem putting a duel plugin into the outlet to provide a double plug in is there? I'm not spending the additional $300 however I'm hoping I can still get a functional double plug in with the $550 option.
bsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
One outlet has two receptacles. We got both and probably could have lived with just the one by the kitchen-however it is nice to have them all live to charge your camera battery or tire pump, etc. and have them out of the way. And besides, its not $300 U.S.- right?
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:11 PM   #3

Thanks that does it. Double receptacle....dah. I had a brain drain again.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoke View Post
The $550 option on the build sheet provides one outlet vs $850 for all of them. There is no problem putting a [dual] plugin into the outlet to provide a double plug in is there? I'm not spending the additional $300 however I'm hoping I can still get a functional double plug in with the $550 option.
If that one outlet (or receptacle) is the one for the microwave, it should be only a single receptacle, since dedicated microwave outlets are intended to prevent any other appliances from being plugged into the same circuit... which is exactly what you want to do.
Single receptacle:

Even if that one outlet is a normal duplex (dual) receptacle, it's in the cabinet behind the microwave, which is screwed in place (if you get the microwave supplied by Escape). How would you reach the outlet to use it?
Duplex receptacle:

Without the higher-cost "all outlets" option you don't get a transfer switch and sub-panel of circuit breakers, so you only have one circuit for power from the inverter. I don't see why more than one outlet couldn't physically be wired to that circuit... but Escapes are built to the CSA standard for recreational vehicles (CSA Z240), which might not permit that. The standard might not even permit the duplex receptacle.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My microwave outlet in both units was a duplex...
Old 04-28-2016, 04:40 PM   #6

Hmmm. I'm thinking that a duplex not behind the microwave is the most useful. If that prevents use of microwave when off shore power so be it. Thanks a million.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Hmmm. I'm thinking that a duplex not behind the microwave is the most useful. If that prevents use of microwave when off shore power so be it. Thanks a million.
Or you add a simple DPDT switch to the microwave circuit. That allows for microwave inverter use off grid and the inverter itself has a second receptacle that can be used for other purposes.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
09-11-2014 4-25-51 PM1_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My microwave outlet in both units was a duplex...
Strange, but potentially handy in this case , although likely not very accessible with a microwave in place.

If an Escape is ordered without a microwave, my understanding is that the space is just open for whatever use is desired (and can be equipped with a door so it's like other cabinets). If it still gets the receptacle, it might be handy that it's a duplex, for other stuff that might be used in there.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My 19 had a microwave with a duplex outlet, I removed the microwave and plugged in an accessory and reinstalled the microwave. I installed the accessory outside the area. My 21 did not have a microwave but did have a duplex, behind a flip door. I plugged in a rechargeable flashlight and installed it on the wall, always had a charged light handy.
There is quite a bit of waste space behind the microwave, that is the reason I chose not to have one in BlackJack. That space became my pantry and was utilized.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
The inverter options may have changed since I purchased. We got the smaller 600 watt one, my only disappointment is that it does not have a cabinet face mounted on/off switch. You have to lift the lid on the bench seat to turn it on. At the time, the larger unit had the remote switch. It may be an option on the smaller one now, things do change. I'm going to wire in a disconnect eventually between the supply power and the unit but it needs to handle at least 60 amps and that difficult to find. I'll probably have to use a battery disconnect or a switch and a relay.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #11

Ok I now have another question after reading another thread. If I get DC outlets no converter is necessary except to use my AC outlets correct. What other than the microwave is hooked to the AC outlets? Stove and oven? The DC outlets will provide charging for phone and laptop and plug in a radio correct? I will have solar by the way. I think I'm just giving up stove, oven and microwave without converter. Maybe I can save $550 and just add some DC outlets for being off shore power.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Converter: comes with trailer. It's like a battery charger. Takes 110 volts and charges the batteries.

Inverter: it's an option either purchased with the trailer or added afterwards. It takes 12 volt battery power and makes it 110 AC. They come in a range of sizes from tiny to thousands of watts. Depends on what you want to do.

12 volt outlets; can be the traditional cigarette lighter type or more commonly now, USB. Like the inverter, run off your batteries.

Everyone has different needs, you have to think about what equipment etc. you might want to run.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Inverter option

The microwave and the optional 110 volt 2 way hot water heater are the only things that require 110 volt AC besides the air conditioner. With the inverter we use an electric toaster, microwave, coffee maker, kettle, bender, hair dryer (Eileen only) and so on. We find that the solar will on sunny days bring the 6 volt batteries up to full capacity before lunchtime.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #14

But the coffee maker etc could be run on the DC outlets correct? Now I see that the stove an oven run off propane also? I'm beginning to think that I can easily get by without the inverter by adding a few DC plugs and use of solar.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Converter: comes with trailer. It's like a battery charger. Takes 110 volts and charges the batteries.

Inverter: it's an option either purchased with the trailer or added afterwards. It takes 12 volt battery power and makes it 110 AC. They come in a range of sizes from tiny to thousands of watts. Depends on what you want to do.
Thanks Ron - I was going to post something like that when I saw bsmoke's question.

Quote:
12 volt outlets; can be the traditional cigarette lighter type or more commonly now, USB. Like the inverter, run off your batteries.
Yes, except that the power line in a USB connection is 5 volts, not 12 volts... that's why USB adapters are not just connectors, they are small power supplies (voltage converters). A USB adapter can be powered by 12 volts DC or 120 V AC, but in an RV it makes sense to use adapters powered by 12 V (from the trailer's battery or the converter), because they will always work, rather than depending on having AC power available.

Quote:
Everyone has different needs, you have to think about what equipment etc. you might want to run.
Absolutely!
Old 04-29-2016, 04:32 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
But the coffee maker etc could be run on the DC outlets correct? Now I see that the stove an oven run off propane also? I'm beginning to think that I can easily get by without the inverter by adding a few DC plugs and use of solar.
No the coffee maker runs on 110 volt (or AC), same as the AC that's in your house.
I have not found a blender, toaster, coffeemaker or hair dryer that run off 12 volt (or DC) that work worth a darn. So these are some of the items we run off the inverter.
Other things such as cell phone, small fans etc, can be charged or run directly from the USB outlets.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Doug
Old 04-29-2016, 04:38 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Hi Bsmoke,

Perhaps it will be useful to read about how we went about decision making re Inverter Option.

We were new to traveling with a trailer and had to figure out what a converter does and what an inverter does. The bigger issue was trying to anticipate what kind of camping we were likely to be doing. Although we didn't know for sure the idea of minamalism was appealing. Boondocking in our provincial parks and forestry recreational sites without shore power was very appealing.

So we went without the inverter relying upon solar and 12 volt power. The trailer is microwave and TV ready but that was in anticipation of our children inheriting or us selling the trailer many years in the future. We have neither microwave or TV and haven't missed them. Not being complete minimalists we have A/C for those times we are in hot areas and have shore power. We have a small portable Inverter to grind coffee beans (we love our coffee perk).

The 12 volt system works recharging our devises. One thing to keep in mind regarding the inverter option is that apparently it quickly depletes your batteries. I've read other forum members complaining that the inverter hums with an annoying sound.

Hopefully this info is useful. Enjoy the process.

Larry

We bought this toast maker. Haven't used it yet but plan to next week when we are out http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/camp-sto...pBYaAqA58P8HAQ
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #18

Quote:
But the coffee maker etc could be run on the DC outlets correct?
You can buy 12 VDC coffemakers, but few people would use them so there is little selection, they're expensive, and if they are designed to run on the amount of current allowed from a common "lighter" socket (only 10 amps or 120 watts) they don't have enough power.

You can use a normal 120 VAC coffeemaker, using an inverter when away from a powered campsite (or generator), but you need to have enough battery capacity (and solar or something to recharge the battery).

The most effective solution is to heat your water for coffee on the propane stove. There are many ways to make coffee, but in the end they all just need a heat source and they can be done on a stovetop.

Quote:
Now I see that the stove an oven run off propane also?
Yes, the stove (and the oven if you get that) run only on propane. Anything requiring a lot of heat takes too much energy to run electrically unless you have AC power at the campsite, or a generator, or a large solar system... so all that stuff is normally run on propane (or can run on either propane or AC power depending on what you have) in common RVs of all types:
  • stove
  • oven
  • furnace
  • water heater
  • refrigerator (if traditional absorption type, which is what Escape installs)
Quote:
I'm beginning to think that I can easily get by without the inverter by adding a few DC plugs and use of solar.
As Ron said, it depends on your specific situation... but yes, that's a common conclusion.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
We have a small portable Inverter to grind coffee beans (we love our coffee perk).
That wouldn't use much power (my electric grinder only takes 100 watts, and it only takes a few seconds per cup), and there are hand-cranked grinders as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
One thing to keep in mind regarding the inverter option is that apparently it quickly depletes your batteries.
That isn't the inverter's fault. If what you are running needs a lot of power, then a lot of power must come out of the battery, whether you use that power at 12 V DC or 120 V AC. That's why cooking or space heating with battery power is a problem, but running small electronics or even laptops isn't bad... whether you use adapters that plug into 12 volt outlets or adapters that plug into a small inverter.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:03 PM   #20

Thanks so much. I've been using a canvas tent for years and am a traditional bowhunter using longbow and making arrows for elk and whitetail so I certainly have lived the minimalist camping lifestyle. This is an adjustment for me so I am so glad this forum is helping me through this purchase.