JD new 19 build sheet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: 2020 Honda Ridgeline
JD new 19 build sheet

Working on the build sheet and really considering NOT getting the inverter and yes getting solar. I realize a lot of the decision is personal but would like to hear from those that have inverters and what they have used them for.
For us, we do not watch a lot of TV, we read books the old way and on tablets. We have trailered in the summer months but intend to extend that season into fall and spring.
-cellphones and tablets can be charged off usb,
-crockpots can be had to work off 12V (300-400 watts)
-almost everything can be used off of 12V
The only things we can think of that would need 110 are:
- laptops (we think a small inverter at 200 watts working off 12V will do that)
-coffee roaster - needs 1000 watts - now that's a problem but only every 4-6 days so maybe when the tanks need dumping and filling.

Can you all give us the benefit of your experiences?

Thanx
John David
John David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Sounds like a good plan to me, and something I would do. We rely on nothing 120V when camping. I have a small 300W inverter that hasn't been used in many years now, all our charging needs are done with 12V adapters. No crockpots for us though.

You got me a bit concerned though. I roast all my own coffee, and as for now I just pre-roast enough for a couple weeks, but when I retire and head out for longer periods, I will need to roast on the road. I would need to find a smaller roaster than the one I have to take with me, and I guess I could just use it whenever I did have connection to 120V.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #3

I roast with a Hot-air popcorn maker, suitably modified. One batch in 6-8 minutes = 100 gm roasted beans. Green bean batch size = about 115 gm.
Are you using a Hot-Top?
Either way I could make enough for a week or two ahead of the trip and thats about the time I would need to change tankage, right? At that time I would pullout the roaster and do another weeks weeks worth (about 6 batches and 1 hr). That's what I figure.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I use a Behmor 1600, and do 13.25 oz (375 gm) roasts most of the time. This is dividing a 5 lb bag into 6 batches.

A popcorn roaster would definitely be a better size, as my roaster is the size of a small toaster oven. I have never used any other roaster though.

Maybe I will just have to plan my routes around some good local roasters, and just suck up the cost.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by John David View Post
Working on the build sheet and really considering NOT getting the inverter and yes getting solar. I realize a lot of the decision is personal but would like to hear from those that have inverters and what they have used them for.
For us, we do not watch a lot of TV, we read books the old way and on tablets. We have trailered in the summer months but intend to extend that season into fall and spring.
-cellphones and tablets can be charged off usb,
-crockpots can be had to work off 12V (300-400 watts)
-almost everything can be used off of 12V
The only things we can think of that would need 110 are:
- laptops (we think a small inverter at 200 watts working off 12V will do that)
-coffee roaster - needs 1000 watts - now that's a problem but only every 4-6 days so maybe when the tanks need dumping and filling.

Can you all give us the benefit of your experiences?

Thanx
John David
We too have a small 300 watt inverter it's all we need . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 17B "Tody"
Do you use a microwave?
I wonder what people's experience with running microwave with an inverter on dual 6V batteries?
Old 06-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Got the 1500W inverter. Haven't used it yet. Use the 12V outlets all the time though. We love that we got the solar & dual 6V batteries. Good laptops can be had that can run off 12V too (I use a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 with 12V charger; the SP3 doesn't have a 12V charger, but the new Surface 3 charges via micro USB so can easily be charged by the 12V outlets and the same cord you charge your (non-Apple) phone/tablet with) so you don't really need an inverter for that.
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We have the inverter on the build sheet with a lot of other options. I kind of go by that it is less trouble to install a lot of this stuff during the original build and better to have and not need than need and not have. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
A lot of people have installed inverters in their trailers. Personally, I don't really have a purpose for one. All of the electrical devices we use in our 19' can be operated or charged from 12V outlets (cell phones, ipads, television, cameras, etc). We do not bring any 120V AC appliances or tools with us in the trailer, so we would not have anything to plug into an AC outlet even if we had an inverter. This works well for us.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
So far I've gotten away with a small 300W inverter that plugs into a 12V socket. On a 5 week trip we used it to recharge my drill driver/stabilizer tool, a couple times for the laptop when we watched a couple RedBox movies. The little inverter has kind of a noisy fan, that's what you get for $30, so I use the outdoor 12v socket and let it run outside. We use the MW if we have hookups, no coffee roaster.

If we use it enough I'll go to a permanent mount PSW inverter.

I know I can get a 12v adapter for the laptops, just haven't gotten to it yet.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #11

Hi AKOAOKO (can u expand the acronym?)
We do not intend to use a microwave. We usually do a lot of our cooking outdoors on the BBQ/campstove. If it is inclement weather we intend to have the camp stove under the awning and perhaps get the zip on tent structure.
MW,s would use probably 700-1000 watts but usage time is short.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #12

Thanks! I was wondering if it's worth it to haul a microwave with only solar as electrical source. I will be traveling (not camping) with the trailer a bit and there will be no hookup. Sometimes it's nice to be able to warm up something quick for a snack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John David View Post
Hi AKOAOKO (can u expand the acronym?)
akoaoka is the same spelling backward. It's a stack where the entries sequence is the same as a queue... something I thought of long time ago when I learned about computer data structure. It also rhymes with my name (Echo).
Old 06-11-2015, 09:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoaoka View Post
Thanks! I was wondering if it's worth it to haul a microwave with only solar as electrical source. I will be traveling (not camping) with the trailer a bit and there will be no hookup. Sometimes it's nice to be able to warm up something quick for a snack.

akoaoka is the same spelling backward. It's a stack where the entries sequence is the same as a queue... something I thought of long time ago when I learned about computer data structure. It also rhymes with my name (Echo).
You have to have the 1500-watt inverter to run the microwave. Quite a few people have that set-up. Can't run the microwave much though.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #14

Thanks Cathy. That's what I thought so we didn't bother to install an inverter. I guess I have to find other way to warm up a frozen muffin after overnighting at a parking lot. :P
Old 06-12-2015, 10:27 AM   #15

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We got the solar and inverter and used it extensively on our trip to Yellowstone last year when we had no hookups. Have had solar on our boat for nearly eight years and wouldn't be without it which is why it was the first option on our trailer. With the way ETI integrates the system into the outlets, just push that little button and you're good to go. However, like everything else, it all depends on how you camp and what you're used to.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote