Just back from Chilliwack and pondering the screen tent once again - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Just back from Chilliwack and pondering the screen tent once again

I'm in Bellingham for a few days and my relatives were kind enough to drive me to Escape (they insisted actually) -- It was so useful! First off it totally confirmed that we are doing the right thing buying the 19 -- it is the right trailer for us and now I'm really excited. When I saw a 19 a year ago we were coming down from the 31' airstream and it was a little strange. Intellectually I liked it but I've been a little unsure whether the size would matter. Seeing the 19 again took care of that. I'm thrilled!

Being in the trailer enabled me to really figure out how we'll sleep so I know where to put the captain's lights. I like the pedestal table as is, the height with standard cushions is right for us, I'm set with my formica choice and I got to see exactly how the power cord works and where it goes. I also got to check out the arrangement with the power jack and the size of the storage box. The 6.5 frig is huge!! I laughed out loud when I saw it.

The one thing I'm still not sure of is the screen tent. That we couldn't see. We'd decided against it, thinking we'd take a fan, but that hasn't worked so well on our deck and I keep thinking of the times when the insects aren't really that bad, but Terry (my husband) gets bit anyway, and the screen tent could be that extra protection that allows us to be outside. The pros are it's easier to put up than a stand alone screen tent so we'd be more likely to use it. The area next to the trailer is more likely to be flat and less likely to be grassy and wet and buggy. The cons are whether it will be more trouble than it's worth, we'd have to haul it with us and it is $400 -- fine if it is useful but a lot of money to throw away if it's not. We could also have the grommets attached and hold off on the actual tent until we travel for awhile and that might be the most sensible thing but I'm not feeling so sensible. Unfortunately Terry couldn't make this trip so he's relying on my reporting.

Our build sheet is supposed to be finalized this week so I thought I'd put this out there. Regards, Ruth
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
The screen room decision is definitely a tough one. When we bought our 19' I was sure we would never use it, and didn't get one. Last summer while camping we had several meals that were disrupted by visiting wasps and we wished for a screen room. We are likely going to buy a screen tent that we can bring along and set up over top of the picnic table if needed. That way, the table does not have to be right next to the trailer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Depends on where you will be camping, the only buggy place here on east coast is along the Assateague Barrier Islands, otherwise the ocean breeze helps. Never used mine, pain to set up, 2 person job, took too long up and down. May be useful up north with the summer mosquitos and that is why it is an option. Plus there are all those snap holes, each one similar to a rivet.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've only put mine up once. Don't recall it being a two-person job, other than needing help remembering the steps involved.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Glenn,
Once in 5 years? So you agree it is not used often?
Old 11-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Maybe just wait and concentrate on getting the trailer built the way you want. Between pre-visiting the factory and this forum your doing things right. Perhaps you can buy one from a non-user and save $.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #7

Make me an offer. But you have to take the dog too.
Attached Thumbnails
awning and screen room.jpg  
Old 11-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
We ordered it so it would be fitted and ready to use.
Our 17 didn't have that option and I spent more than $400 on a Patty O'Room for it that I never did alter to fit properly. Plus ,It's much heavier than the Escape offering, so it gets left at home on weekend trips.
We've been at lots of campgrounds where we were glad to have some form of bug screen. I prefer to enclose the porch.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Yes, if someone gets his screen room from Glenn, he can then not use it having paid less money. It can be more trouble than it is worth to carry and put up if moving frequently. If, however, someone were going to be sitting in a place for a long time and needed it, then it would be worth the bother. It could be great depending on the trip. It's worth is more a personal consideration based on your camping style.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #10

I haven't camped where I really needed it ( like Horsefly, B.C. ).
The one time I should have set it up, we were on the end of a 10 fishing trip and decided to head for home instead ( my hand was swollen twice the size from a deer-fly bite ).
Old 11-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Getting off subject (forgive me) , I sometimes use a free standing 10X10 that can be setup over the campsite table. It has a zip in screen set and zip in wall set for a lot of flexibility and mobility.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #12

Glenn, does it fold up easily to slide through the hatch that goes under the bed?
Old 11-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Broadstone Easy-Up Shelter, 12 x 12-ft | Canadian Tire

We've been using the above shelter for a number of years. At my sister's lake lot it is set up in June and comes down in September and has been used for I'm guessing 4 summers now. We have it over a picnic table and eat all our meals in there, and in the evening the adults sit in it and play games after the kids have been put to bed. We've use a 16' x ?' blue tarp to cover the North (and some of the West) sides to cut down the prevailing winds which blow off the lake.

We liked it so much we bought one for ourselves for when we're car camping and plan to bring it with us once we get an Escape. I prefer the idea of not having the awning area screened in as it is a bit of a nuisance opening and closing the screen doors every time, especially when hands are full. This way we'll have an awning for shade and rain protection, as well as the external bug shelter which we can set up if needed somewhere else in our campsite.

Packed in its excellent case, it is 7" x 12" x 47" and and 40". As we don't have an RV yet (March 7th!!!) I cannot comment on whether it fits inside, but I imagine it will fit under the bed in our Escape 21. If not we'll likely leave it on the bed, then set it up or store it under the RV when we get to our campsite. The roof is 10' x 10' and the legs are 12' x 12' apart. 9'3" is the max center height (adjustable). We set it up with two people all the time. I expect it would be a much bigger task doing it solo.

Also, it frequently goes on sale. I think we paid $129 for ours. There's also a Canadian Tire 6 minutes from the Escape factory:

https://www.google.ca/maps/preview#!...13m1!1e1&fid=0
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #14

I don't have a hatch that I put it through. It goes into the bag that comes with it and under the rear passenger bench. I've not tried to fold it so it's compact.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
We are likely going to buy a screen tent that we can bring along and set up over top of the picnic table if needed. That way, the table does not have to be right next to the trailer.
That works great for us. We only take it if we think we might need it too, and no modification to the trailer. Having it away from the trailer would make going in and out of the trailer with a picnic table set up less cumbersome too. Plus, most picnic tables in campgrounds can't move either. Works for us anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #16

I think I'm convinced not to get it. The Broadstone Easy Up sounds like a good plan. Thanks everyone!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #17

Do you want a dog anyway?
Old 11-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #18

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
We have a pop up with a screen or solid walls.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #19

Trailer: 19'
Ruthe, glad that it turned out the 19' was still the model you'd get, after being at the factory and having lots of time to view all sizes side by side. j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #20

Only thing is, it's a long way from New Jersey to Chilliwack to get the screen room retro-installed.
Not sure that would be necessary, but all the snaps on the trailer and screen room have to line up. I'd prefer to use somebody who's done it before to do the install.