Kitchen Cabinet Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 19'
Kitchen Cabinet Question

Hi, kind of a minor question here.

Looking at the kitchen cabinets on a 19' with no oven, the 2 drawers under the cooktop seem quite small. For those of you with the 2 drawers, how do you like them? Would it be useful to just have a cabinet door opening into a larger space that could be used however one wanted? Thanks! j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We like the two drawers. The top one we use to store knives & a few other utensils, with a little fitted plastic basket on top of the knives that holds scissors and other sharp things. The bottom one we use for flashlights, multi-use clips, small level, extra keys, name tags for trailer ralleys etc. It works well to have a fitted basket in here too if things need to be organized.

Our closet was left as a hanging closet (in case we ever need it), but we bought two plastic stacking pull-out drawer units at Canadian Tire that fit perfectly; the bottom one has all our hardware store items: tape measure, duct tape, Swiss army gadget tools, extra batteries & other general Glenn type stuff etc. The top one has extra bathroom things & Rosemary type stuff - crochet hooks, sewing kit, harp tuning wrench... Still lots of room for our jackets & sweaters on top of the drawers.

Works well for us
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Silverware drawer? Where else would you store your silverware without a drawer? The one in my Scamp, talk about small... but, I can't imagine not having it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
My 15 has two standard drawers plus two more that I had ordered in lieu of a cabinet beneath the wardrobe (the wardrobe itself has shelves which are more functional to me). All four are full of all that little stuff that defy categorization: tablecloth weights, butane lighters, utensils, wax paper, aluminum foil, and on and on and on. Like Donna, I couldn't do without them.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The drawers are normally installed under the stove as the sink plumbing prevents anything deep. You may want to install a Hepvo valve later under the sink and that will free up more space. Other members had an extra drawer installed over the furnace, but that may make the closet smaller.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Our 19' has the optional oven, so there are no drawers on that side of the kitchen. We did have Escape add two drawers below the wardrobe on the fridge side of the kitchen.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We find the two drawers in our 19 very useful. They hold all our eating and cooking utensils, and a bunch of other small items. My wife found a plastic cutlery tray that fits perfect with the flanges of it sitting on top of the drawer sides. This will slide back to give use access to the lower front stuff, or easily lifts out to access the full second layer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #8

Thanks everybody for continuing to give feedback on my unending, inane questions....sigh.... undoubtedly there will be more questions forthcoming. j
Old 11-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We have the 2 drawers under the stove and find them very useful. One for silverware and one for larger items. We also added 1 extra drawer above the furnace. It does make the wardrobe closet a couple inches shorter but we have not found that to be a problem. This extra drawer was my idea so I claimed it as "Tom's drawer" as Cheryl has claimed the rest of the camper.

We left our wardrobe closet stock and use a shoe organizer for shelfs so we can still hang clothes.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We have no drawer under the wardrobe like that. Would be nice to have.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The drawers are normally installed under the stove as the sink plumbing prevents anything deep. You may want to install a Hepvo valve later under the sink and that will free up more space. Other members had an extra drawer installed over the furnace, but that may make the closet smaller.
I am considering ordering the 19' "oven ready", for the capability of more easily adding an oven in the future. i.e., just get a 2 burner cooktop, but install the cabinets which are used for an oven install. Then install 2 doors, and keep the top trim piece, over the oven opening.

Inside the cupboard which is under the cooktop, I could install some sort of drawer unit, or shelving unit. I think this arrangement might actually be quite practical.

I'm just going over different ideas in my head, and wondering how others experience the standard cabinet install. j
Old 11-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I was able to place a plastic set of drawers from wallyworld in my 19' under the sink/stovetop. area right in the middle. There is plenty of space under the kitchen area and with proper planning everything fits. It is sort of like a jig saw puzzle, it will all fit only one way!!!!
I added a battery operated led light, helps a lot in finding/seeing space.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Do you happen to know the inside dimensions of the standard 19' wardrobe?
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote