Last few questions on build sheet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 17A
Last few questions on build sheet

Build sheet is due on Friday and just a have a few last questions:

1) Stove / Sink - stainless or not? I'm ok paying up if powder coating isn't going to hold up as well

2) Grey water tank - didn't realize that 17A's don't have 'em. We like camping, so I have no problems emptying out a 5 gallon bucket - just wondering if anyone put one in that doesn't have a bathroom.

3) 12V interior outlets - thinking 3. Where are the ones you use the most or wish you had one?

4) Exterior access hatch and storage box - do I need both? We're big on outdoor gear, but just curious what others think.

5) Stereo - getting it pre-wired in case I want to add one (and probably will...) , what do you do for an antenna in this case - any idea?

Thanks again everyone!
davedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
1) we went with the standard one, as we do pretty much all cooking outside. Would you be an indoor cooker, you might want to upgrade
2) can't answer. We have a 19
3) one outside for pumping up tires (in case), use of fan, etc.
one close to kitchen counter (ours is on front panel top cabinets)
don't see the need for a third one, but might want to choose dinette area....
4) hatch size is not too big, might want to measure what you want to put through. we went for
extra access door inside and put bigger stuff in car
storage box: you won't regret getting it! Lots of dirty, wet stuff goes in ours all the time
5) have non of that, can't help you here
Hope I am of little help. Exciting getting so close he? Best wishes with everything and keep us posted!
Old 08-01-2017, 06:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
1) Stainless, 'cause I like it.

2) Never knew that, I guess the sink drains right outside?

3) We did 3 in the 5.0TA, at the head of the bed, on a cabinet by the door, and at the dinette. All get used. I did add one in a pull-up a 120V/USB receptacle in the galley, but it only works when hooked to the grid, which is not that often.

4) If you are getting the storage box, you could always hold off until you use the trailer a bunch, then add one if you really feel you need it. It is an easy task to do.

5) I opted for nothing. We had a stereo in our 19 which was outdated in short order. We now use a bluetooth speaker, and play songs from my phone, either from my large library or using Spotify. We also use the bluetooth speaker for the TV. The only way I have to play radio though, is through my phone if I have data.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
From the ETI web page, it would seem that a grey water tank is optional.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 4.50.35 PM.png  
Old 08-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Many campgrounds will not allow gray water discharge to an open container these days, so you'll need to get a closed catch container that can connect to a hose. Personally I'd just get the gray tank.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:32 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'd be interested to know what others with A models (15s or 17s or whatever) have done -especially those with no gray tank.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'd be interested to know what others with A models (15s or 17s or whatever) have done -especially those with no gray tank.
I have a three-gallon bucket that the sink drains into; I dump that into the drain below a campground fresh water spigot...certainly a lot easier than dumping a gray-water tank at a facility in my opinion.

I'm curious though, what tent campers are supposed to do with their gray water (dishwater) in those campgrounds that don't have a drain system. The federal campgrounds with which I'm familiar have no facilities other than pit toilets and maybe a few water spigots here and there. In the old days we just threw our dishwater into the bushes.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Many campgrounds will not allow gray water discharge to an open container these days, so you'll need to get a closed catch container that can connect to a hose. Personally I'd just get the gray tank.
From my short popup camper trial: Using a ubiquitous plastic pail with a lid, drill a hole in the lid that is just the diameter of the hose. Stick the hose in for a sealed container, add a cork to keep the grey water in when carrying into the woods for disposal.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Don't think the non-stainless stove is powder coated, and you don't hear of people complaining. On the other hand you can read of others with the stainless stove tops looking bad after awhile- one reason why many retrofit truly upgraded cook tops ETI doesn't offer.

Wouldn't do a stereo; too many after market options. If ETI mounts speakers you're kind of stuck with them.

Get the front box for sure- you will not regret it.

We don't use our gray tank much at all, however would probably get it.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Grey water

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I have a three-gallon bucket that the sink drains into; I dump that into the drain below a campground fresh water spigot...certainly a lot easier than dumping a gray-water tank at a facility in my opinion.

I'm curious though, what tent campers are supposed to do with their gray water (dishwater) in those campgrounds that don't have a drain system. The federal campgrounds with which I'm familiar have no facilities other than pit toilets and maybe a few water spigots here and there. In the old days we just threw our dishwater into the bushes.

Hi Karen
The grey water question is a good one, especially for tent campers. In some states there are signs encouraging campers to carry their water to grey water drains located throughout the campground. I have decanted a few gallons into these grates to make another shower night even with the Escape and carried it in a bucket I bring along.
In some parks the same practice is encouraged and the dump station is used. Last month at the provincial park in Ontario called The Pinery, it was allowed to dump in the woods or " in the front corner of the fire ring". However there is an old practice among owners of early fibgerglass trailers and fold downs where a short piece of hose drained into a bucket placed alongside the camper. Of course the camper did not want the bucket to get tipped over. So it was common practice to anchor the bucket with a stake driven through the bottom of bucket. Never seemed to fill up. Probably evaporated��
Dave
Old 08-01-2017, 09:34 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Quick and easy. I used to do similar when tent camping, that is, if we had any waste water to drain.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 19'
Some parks in California tells campers to drain grey water into the utility sink located at restrooms (Yosemite for example) whether or not people actually follow it is a different thing.. but a good number of campground we visited (Mostly CA state parks and National parks I think, never USFS) usually have a dish sink located near the restroom, I am guessing it's to encourage people to not wash dishes and drain near their campsite.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:58 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
Some parks in California tells campers to drain grey water into the utility sink located at restrooms (Yosemite for example) whether or not people actually follow it is a different thing.. but a good number of campground we visited (Mostly CA state parks and National parks I think, never USFS) usually have a dish sink located near the restroom, I am guessing it's to encourage people to not wash dishes and drain near their campsite.
It's similar in most of the state parks here in Texas, and also at Big Bend NP. There's a utility sink or a dishwashing station by the restrooms.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:11 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 17A
Thanks again everyone- I think I'm ready to lock this thing down!
davedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:18 AM   #15

Just one more thing to consider.
Seems everywhere there are more and more stringent rules about disposing anything.
What is tolerable today, may not be in a few years.
Think propane fire pits. Who'd have thought?
Old 08-02-2017, 12:50 AM   #16

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedru View Post
1) Stove / Sink - stainless or not? I'm ok paying up if powder coating isn't going to hold up as well
If I were strapped for cash, the stainless steel sink would be one of my first cuts. I suspect the regular sink will hold up to intermittent use over a long period of time. I don't have any direct experience with these sinks though beyond what I saw in the ETI showroom.

Quote:
2) Grey water tank - didn't realize that 17A's don't have 'em. We like camping, so I have no problems emptying out a 5 gallon bucket - just wondering if anyone put one in that doesn't have a bathroom.
Get the gray tank if you can afford it. Eliminates the need to carry a potentially stinky bucket, but you still have the option of bringing the bucket and dumping water one bucket at a time at whatever dish washing facilities the campers are using.

Quote:
3) 12V interior outlets - thinking 3. Where are the ones you use the most or wish you had one?
Here is what I requested (actually the last one I didn't request, but I'll add it later):

#1=> front of the trailer, on the driver side, in the visible upper cabinet face above the upper shelf (forwards of the upper cabinet door), fed by AWG 10 wires
NOTE: this place is good for powering something at the front of the trailer, and you can leave phones and even a computer in the upper shelf to charge.

#2 => below the sink, right under the counter lip, on the visible face that is facing the isle, as close to the rear dinette as possible on that visible cabinet face, fed by AWG 10 wires
NOTE: this is good in case you get anything 12 volt that you want to use or store in the kitchen. It's also good for using at the dinette, but it obviously gets in the way of in/out access a little.

#3 => below the battery cutoff switch, fed by AWG 10 wires
NOTE: this is good for using devices anywhere in the rear dinette.

Quote:
4) Exterior access hatch and storage box - do I need both? We're big on outdoor gear, but just curious what others think.
With 4 people, you'll probably find that you have limited space in the 17a for storing things. We have a 17b and store bedding related things and misc things in the bench below the passenger side rear dinette. We store food in the "wardrobe" (with shelves) and in the cabinet where the microwave normally goes. Everyone gets 1 upper cabinet area for themselves, which uses 4 of the 5 long upper cabinet doors. The upper cabinet above the kitchen gets kitchen stuff. The kids have their own toy storage area in the front passenger side dinette seat. Miscelaneous things fill whatever remaing space we have. With 4 people, I think you'll want to keep the storage under the beds for interior items rather than exterior ones. I'm not sure how easy it is to get to the area under the permanent bed in the 17a though, so that might change things if it's relatively inaccessable. If you end up using the area under the beds for interior storage, I think you'll want the front storage box, especially considering that you're big on outdoor gear. It's possible to put that kind of stuff in the trunk/truck bed, but I like how everything is organized and ready to go in the front storage box. Makes heading out on a weekend trip easier because there is less to move around and mix with stuff in the vehicle.

Quote:
5) Stereo - getting it pre-wired in case I want to add one (and probably will...) , what do you do for an antenna in this case - any idea?
We just use our phones or a computer. Obviously, what you choose here is determined partly by how much of an audiophile you are. I worry though that the Stereo is going to be one of the first things to become obsolete in the trailer as technology advances.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:01 AM   #17

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I like stainless but I don't think it's more durable just you like the look or not... grey water I would want a tank but just a personal opinion. Outlets I got two twelve volts outside each side and one by the door and one by the bed. I liked my out door hatch but I loved my storage box. I had the Escape stereo and speakers on my old trailer and again ordered it on my new one I loved it but I'm not very technical and I loved that it was so easy.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:05 AM   #18

I've got four months to go on my Sirius subscription ( prepaid ) and the 'Executive' dock that I use in the trailer no longer works. Sirius advised me to buy a new radio.
Not going to do that. I have my iPod, iPhone and Bluetooth speaker. I can download thousands of podcasts on science, history, politics, etc. at home, and have hours of music.
I can listen inside and outside the trailer and when something breaks, there is no hole where it used to be.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:11 AM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Unless something has recently changed, the white sink ETI installs isn't porcelain, it's plastic. And it stains, permanently when it happens. I know one member here on the forum is going to be changing their sink out to SS because of the issue. Just something to be aware of...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:34 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
I worry though that the Stereo is going to be one of the first things to become obsolete in the trailer as technology advances.
Obsolescence is of concern only if something breaks or if one absolutely must spend money on the latest technology. The audio systems in my trailer and at my cabin are both CD-based (with mounted speakers no less ) and I have no issues whatsoever with using them as long as the equipment works and the CDs are good. I don't expect them to last forever but 25 years (at my cabin) is a good start. Another extreme for me is the audio system in my old truck. I still play cassette tapes on it and while a tape bites the dust once in a while, I still have many, many left to play. When the tapes go, the truck goes, I guess.

It's all a matter of expectations.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote