Location for Zamp connector on 19 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
The posting above from the Tin Can Solar guy shows a 10 gauge port.

ZS-RV-SolarPort-(10AWG) - Tin Can Solar
If you go to the Zamp website, they state that their port uses 12 gauge wire.
https://www.zampsolar.com/solar-ports/

Every vendor that listed the Zamp port with 10 gauge - when I contacted them, they said - no, the port we have is 12 gauge, sorry.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:57 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you are willing to stick with #12 wire, another source for 2 pin SAE connectors (somehow which have become called Zamp connectors) is SolarSeller.com. Since the connectors are available with the male pin wired to EITHER the black or red lead, it is important to check that the polarity matches your panel & internal trailer connections.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you are willing to stick with #12 wire, another source for 2 pin SAE connectors (somehow which have become called Zamp connectors) is SolarSeller.com. Since the connectors are available with the male pin wired to EITHER the black or red lead, it is important to check that the polarity matches your panel & internal trailer connections.
To meet SAE standards, "the polarity of the connector, when installed in a vehicle and attached to a battery, is always such that no short circuit will occur if the exposed terminal were to touch the vehicle chassis. This means that the exposed terminal connects to the negative terminal of the battery".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_con...#SAE_connector

Why Zamp wants to design their port with the the exposed male pin positive in violation of SAE standards escapes me!

Shorting the solar panel does no harm (that's how I check the panel amps) but shorting the battery connection will melt things! Granted, it would be hard to get something to touch the exposed positive pin and then ground on a Zamp port, but why would you not follow standards that are established for a reason?

(stepping off my soapbox now)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I am working through this myself hooking up portable solar (I have no rooftop solar). Another forum friend found this useful (at amazon) Optimate cable 0-27 adapter polarity SAE by tecmate.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:53 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Why Zamp wants to design their port with the the exposed male pin positive in violation of SAE standards escapes me!
Could it be they are looking to keep the exposed pin on the lead from the panel negative, and it is somewhat shielded inside the connector? Though you say there is no harm sorting out the leads there.

At that point at the end of the lead from the panel there is no ground reference for the negative, whereas there is with the negative in the trailer.

Just a guess from a slow learner.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #26

Trailer: 2020 25' Flying Cloud Airstream with three 90-watt Zamp Solar roof panels and 140-watt ZS Portable
Zamp Solar Port

Yes, the male pin of the Zamp Solar port is positive and on the Zamp Solar panel the male pin is negative. That is a positive safety feature and not a violation of SAE Standards (of which their is no real standard in the industry). I would rather not get shocked or damage my battery by grounding my solar panel pin on other brands.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 25' Flying Cloud Airstream with three 90-watt Zamp Solar roof panels and 140-watt ZS Portable
Zamp Solar no longer makes a 12 gauge Solar Port, only a 10 gauge port.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #28

Zamp Solar no longer makes a 12 gauge solution for their Solar Port, only a 10 gauge solution.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA80 View Post
Zamp Solar no longer makes a 12 gauge solution for their Solar Port, only a 10 gauge solution.
Great! Then the one I bought from them two months ago must have been old stock? Because it definitely came with 12 gauge wires.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Yes, the male pin of the Zamp Solar port is positive and on the Zamp Solar panel the male pin is negative. That is a positive safety feature and not a violation of SAE Standards (of which their is no real standard in the industry). I would rather not get shocked or damage my battery by grounding my solar panel pin on other brands.
I reread your post several times and it still didn't make sense to me. Having an exposed positive pin on the trailer reduces the risk of damaging the battery? I think you have that backwards.

Oh, and there is a SAE standard for these connectors - plug one of the reversed polarity Zamp connectors following color code into standard SAE connector on your car and watch what happens.

I don't agree with the way the Zamp connectors are done and you seem to be representing Zamp so let's just agree that we don't agree and leave it at that.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I tend to say 'scr#w Zamp', and use Andersen PowerPole connectors for my solar stuff. PP30 for 12 gauge up to 30A, PP45 for 10 gauge up to 45 A (they are interconnectable).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #32

Are the Anderson connectors the same ones developed in the early 70's that are not rated to by in the Sun on a long term basis. Anderson connectors in the Sun will last maybe a couple of years before they dissolve. Good Luck.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:01 PM   #33

I spoke with Zamp Solar Technical Support today and the 12 gauge versions were replaced by the 10 gauge versions and the 12 gauge option is no longer offered. Anyone with 12 gauge versions has old stock. Bend, OR the headquarters of Zamp Solar verified this statement today.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:46 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Are the Anderson connectors the same ones developed in the early 70's that are not rated to by in the Sun on a long term basis. Anderson connectors in the Sun will last maybe a couple of years before they dissolve. Good Luck.
Maybe at one time when they were developed they used an inferior plastic, but I have never heard that. I bet it would depend on who makes them. GoPower uses them, lots of temporary 12V equipment connections use them (like trolling motors or winches). I see you sell them at the store you are advertising, are you not selling quality components?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:41 AM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
PowerPoles are not considered weatherproof, so any external ones, I would put behind a weather door.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
I spoke with Zamp Solar Technical Support today and the 12 gauge versions were replaced by the 10 gauge versions and the 12 gauge option is no longer offered. Anyone with 12 gauge versions has old stock. Bend, OR the headquarters of Zamp Solar verified this statement today.
Perhaps Zamp is a bit behind on updating their website - text clearly says 12 AWG

https://www.zampsolar.com/solar-ports

Wonder who is selling the 10 AWG currently.
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #37

I have been ordering the ZS-SolarPort, which is 10AWG Sidewall Mount SAE port 12" for clients all over the US. Zamp Solar no longer makes the 12AWG option and has none in inventory.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #38

If you are going to use a Portable Solar solution or battery maintenance other than Zamp Solar, I also have the ZS-BDC-ADPT Polarity adaptor that you will need with the Zamp Solar Port ZS-SolarPort. Escape Trailer owners with twin 6-volt batteries would find that the 120 Watt, 160 Watt and the 200 Watt portable solutions would work well putting Amp Hours back into the batteries.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:03 PM   #39

Quote:
If you are going to use a Portable Solar solution or battery maintenance other than Zamp Solar, I also have the ZS-BDC-ADPT Polarity adaptor that you will need with the Zamp Solar Port ZS-SolarPort. Escape Trailer owners with twin 6-volt batteries would find that the 120 Watt, 160 Watt and the 200 Watt portable solutions would work well putting Amp Hours back into the batteries.
Or install the Zamp port switching the polarity so that it matches SAE standards and not worry about a "polarity adapter" unless you ever buy a Zamp portable panel. The "polarity adapter" would then be needed to convert the Zamp panel to a SAE connection and it will then work fine with your SAE Port (the one that USE to be the non standard Zamp).

I don't agree that Zamp is worth double (or more) than what the rest of the industry charges for solar.