Locking in Option Prices - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2017, 03:51 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We had two prior long-time Casita owners at Quartzsite who had both moved to the new Lance Trailers. They both seem very happy with their decision at the moment and we'll see where they are at next year.
While not my cup of tea to move back to the dark side and will stay with our Escape 19 for sure, sometimes individuals requirements have them move on to other options. I'm just happy for folks that can eventually find whatever works best for them so they can stay out here and active as long as possible.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Cool - did they do it like the old sardine cans with the key that went into the tab and then you wound it?
I really don't know That's the way my brother described it. Needless to say, he was not happy.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Oldie but goodie

Got my Highlander serviced in Iowa City today,
On the way back up Interstate 380 I saw what appeared to be a mid to late 70s boler headed southbound. Since my daughter has a 74 I have a pretty good idea on the age. 40 years old and rolling right along. I did not see any other 40 year old trailers. I never knock another mans equipment or choices I just make real sure I'm happy with what I have and that it's the best I can afford at the time. Gimme some more Kool aide.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:40 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
... Gimme some more Kool aide.
Dave
The lemon-lime is all gone, is cherry ok?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:45 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
n....the continual use in forums of what seems like a derogatory manner of the term " stick built" is IMHO not always valid when referring to trailers that are not molded fiberglass if that is the intention....
I have never used the term in a derogatory manner, but one to describe how framed trailers are generally built. There are definitely some built with good quality, but the majority of them have been, and to a large degree still are, built with lesser integral quality. Moulded fibreglass by it's nature is only a good start to a quality build, but even with that there can be varying degrees of quality built in after the moulding has been done.

I went to the Calgary RV Show last year, and I was quite shocked at the poor quality built into most trailers. Yes, there was some very nice units, but most seemed to be built as quick and cheap as possible. You could buy a trailer with 3 times the volume of mine for the same price.

I have heard lots of good about Lance, though have not been in one. I would love to though. I appreciate quality no matter the form it is in.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:07 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having owned 8 trailers including 5 SOB's with 2 Lance trailers as well as 3 Escapes, the issue of longevity due to water leak resistance is the issue. Both my Lance had roof and slide issues causing leaks, the other 3 units were not kept long enough but according to their own forums, they are dropping like flies. There are many 30 year fiberglass trailers still in use, but few and far between stick built units that old are still in use.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #47

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Got my Highlander serviced in Iowa City today,

On the way back up Interstate 380 I saw what appeared to be a mid to late 70s boler headed southbound. Since my daughter has a 74 I have a pretty good idea on the age. 40 years old and rolling right along. I did not see any other 40 year old trailers. Gimme some more Kool aide.

Dave

Pass the Kool Aid Dave,

My '87 Bigfoot is 40 years old. That Boler was probably closer to 50 years old, which just reinforces your point.

Time passes so quickly!

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:49 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
no disrespect and respectively disagree but the continual use in forums of what seems like a derogatory manner of the term " stick built" is IMHO not always valid when referring to trailers that are not molded fiberglass if that is the intention.
No disrespect aimed at the non fibreglass trailers but I am commenting on experience had by friends of mine who are on there 3rd trailer in 8 years. They have had problems of leaks, Mold, eating bench collapsing (staples no glue) causing an injury. Moulding falling off ( after 3 months) drawer fronts coming lose and leaking slides. We live in the pacific north west and our trailers can be subject to a lot of rain that is why we have chosen fibreglass over stick built. Personal choice.
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:28 PM   #49

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post

My '87 Bigfoot is 40 years old.

Time passes so quickly!

Rich
Not that quickly!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #50

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Time passes quickly

Depends on whether you are talking vacation fishing trips or years of marriage.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #51

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Thinking back, I only recall one couple who traded in their molded fiberglass trailer for a frame-built. They had gotten to the point in their camping life that both wanted to be able to get out of bed without one having to crawl over the other. So they traded in their molded and got a "stickie" with a slide-out that added more space around the bed. We haven't crossed paths for awhile. I wonder how that's working out for them....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:56 AM   #52

Trailer: 2008 Casita STD
I've only owned a scamp 13' but thinking about a larger sized trailer. Should it be a 17' or 19', that is the question?
freetodream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:24 AM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
More to consider than just the trailer size

We have a Casita FD17. When we considered moving up to a larger size trailer, we felt the Escape 19 was only an additional 2 feet, plus we would still have to climb over each other when getting out of bed, so we went with the Escape 21. What we then decided is that towing an Escape 21 with our 4Runner is very close to the upper limit of the vehicle, so we sold it and bought a truck (an additional expense we had not originally considered).
Old 04-21-2017, 11:32 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Yikes! We contracted for our 19 last month and have been working on our Build Sheet since then. Hadn't submitted anything, thinking that it must be completed before submitting it. Today we got a new Build Sheet with our completion date moved up about 6 weeks but noticed that some option prices had increased. Guess we got caught with our pants down! What did I miss? Just figured that when we put money down and signed the contract that prices were locked in... Just cost ourselves some more money. Boohoo!

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:42 PM   #55

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljswany View Post
Yikes! We contracted for our 19 last month and have been working on our Build Sheet since then. Hadn't submitted anything, thinking that it must be completed before submitting it. Today we got a new Build Sheet with our completion date moved up about 6 weeks but noticed that some option prices had increased. Guess we got caught with our pants down! What did I miss? Just figured that when we put money down and signed the contract that prices were locked in... Just cost ourselves some more money. Boohoo!
Looks like another 6 months of saving for us . Everytime we get close they move the finish line. Well we can still dream , that's still free .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:14 AM   #56

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljswany View Post
but noticed that some option prices had increased. Guess we got caught with our pants down!
And, over the years, some option prices have been reduced or become standard features. I don't think any contract is fixed until it has been signed and submitted.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:49 AM   #57

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Yes, Tammy cleared that up here a while back, that once you have selected your options, and submitted the build sheet, at that point prices are locked in. Up to that point you have not signed off on anything but the base trailer itself.

And while many of the options are quite desirable to folks, and one of the reasons they like Escapes, they are after all just optional.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:28 AM   #58

Trailer: Escape 1721
Here's Tammy's statement on locking prices.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...tml#post172765
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #59

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
Here's Tammy's statement on locking prices.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...tml#post172765
Thank you. Perhaps it might be good to make this message from Tammy into a sticky in the News area? I think it would be useful if there was a special area for announcements and messages directly from ETI since they kindly come here often to try to help clear up misunderstanding, etc.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote