Mattress options for 17B? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2015, 04:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Mattress options for 17B?

Hi all! We are back from a short trip and planning another in about three weeks. We find that we almost always have our bigger dinette made into a bed, and that when we need a table we use the smaller one up front. So that's got us wondering whether we should invest in a mattress or foam pad for better sleep.

So - we are curious what's worked for all of you? Our space measures about 77 X 48, around a "short full," but we're concerned about the curves on the back end of the camper. We're also not sure about moisture issues (we do have one of those moisture pads we have put under the cushions when we sleep and we assume we'd need to use this here).

Caveats ... we would like to be able to access the under-seat storage AND the water heater/etc etc without major stress. So whatever we put in there needs to be something reasonably pliable.

It would be nice it we could remove the mattress occasionally if we did want to use the larger dinette (sometimes when our Escape is just parked at the house, we use it as a place for Happy Hour

We DO use the bed extension -- so we'd probably have to improvise something there.

And finally -- we have two large, dirty, wet dogs who love to hop into bed, invited or not. We'd need to make sure things were protected to avoid stinky side effects.

Thanks for your ideas!

Elizabeth & Dan
Three Oaks, MI
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We have a 2" memory foam ( I believe ) that has a removable cloth cover. I think we got it at Sears Canada ($100), but you should find similar where you are.
We added it because, after three or four days, there were pressure points on my hips with just the foam cushions.
We haven't had any reason to worry about moisture so no mesh or other solutions.
We just pull the foam pad back along with the covers and lift out the cushions to access the benches. The foam pad can be rolled up if you want to convert to dinette, but it is bulky. Probably want to throw it in the tow vehicle to get it out of the way.
You won't notice that it isn't cut to conform with the corners. I think ours is about two inches short, but that space is at the feet end ( for us, that's the driver side ).
It's not stiff, like a mattress so we have no problems rolling it up to get it out of the way, or out from under the counter extension.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #3

Thanks for the memory foam suggestion (we're looking into that) we're still curious if anyone has found/is using other mattresses or options? Anyone? Bueller?
Old 09-01-2015, 11:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
In our 17B We put the Spa Sensations 8" full size 54" x 75" (Wal Mart) $159 and had to trim just a small amount off the back edge and shape it. Electric knife cuts it like butter with a clean edge. Custom fit it perfectly to the back wall.
You need an external access hatch for passenger side storage, not a hard mod to add, to make easy access to storage. After a night on this mattress you will be loving life.
We had some friends put the 12" in their RV and they came home after the trip, got rid of their mattress at the house and bought another one of these to replace it.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
I too have a memory foam topper that I got at Costco. It came with a washable cover that is now too big as I cut the long edge of the topper to fit. the cover is tucked under when the bedding is. I knew I was going to have a more permanent bed, but did not have the under bed area enclosed. Instead, I had Reace put in a door at the bench front on the passenger side for interior access. (Since I have storage containers beneath, they must be moved to use that door.) I also have an exterior hatch on that side. It was not recommended at that time to place a door on the bench on the driver's side as there isn't much room and the water pump and other stuff is there. I would think either or both would be easy to add. (By someone who knows how to do it.)
Old 09-01-2015, 09:13 PM   #6

Sandra, Greg, thanks so much! Sandra, I kind of remember you mentioning the door on your bench -- do you have a photo? Very curious. Greg, I take it removing your mattress would be a major pain, so if you commit -- you commit? Sandra, same for the foam?

And does anyone do this w/the bed extension? I'm guessing whether we went mattress or foam we'd just get another piece cut for that ...
Old 09-01-2015, 09:25 PM   #7

I actually could access the bench storage by lifting and rolling the mattress back. Wasn't horrible, but if you are putting things in there you need 5 times a day it would be a pain. We stored long term supplies there that we didn't need often. For us the quality of the sleep on the mattress far outweighed the bench access. We've done the foam toppers over the cushions for many years and it wasn't working for us anymore. This was so nice we will probably get rid of the stock mattress in our 19 when we get it and put the queen size in. Everyone needs to figure out what works for them, this is just where we have gotten to.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
In our 17B We put the Spa Sensations 8" full size 54" x 75" (Wal Mart) $159 and had to trim just a small amount off the back edge and shape it. Electric knife cuts it like butter with a clean edge. Custom fit it perfectly to the back wall.
You need an external access hatch for passenger side storage, not a hard mod to add, to make easy access to storage. After a night on this mattress you will be loving life.
We had some friends put the 12" in their RV and they came home after the trip, got rid of their mattress at the house and bought another one of these to replace it.
Hi Greg A, which Spa Sensations from walmart do you have? The Theratouch Memory, MyGel, or just regular Memory Foam?
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:04 AM   #9

We had the spa sensations 8" memory foam. Currently $159 for the full size.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:15 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
My Escape is currently in storage but I'll be picking it up in a little over a week. I will then take a picture and post it. The outside access is used mostly. For me to roll back the topper and bedding and lift the cushion and wood cover would be too much fuss, especially with the table top in the way while reaching for an item. It works for me.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:24 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
We had the spa sensations 8" memory foam. Currently $159 for the full size.
Thanks Greg! Been looking for a new mattress and many people have recommended memory foam. With all the online good reviews your mattress has, I think I may have found one
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:32 AM   #12

I keep the screen room, a sleeping bag for arctic fronts, the rear dinette table posts, Coleman oven ( used once ) and a spare butane stove in the passenger side rear bench. There is nothing but electrics and water heater and pump in the driver-side bench. I seldom need access.
Under the bed I have four plastic boxes. The ones at the back contain stuff I don't need, like the TV and DVD player. Two at the front contain stuff I use.
Attached Thumbnails
Storage.jpg  
Old 09-02-2015, 01:19 AM   #13

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I have a Costco memory foam mattress pad too I sleep very well on it and I'm picky
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:54 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
.....Coleman oven ( used once ).....
I saw you use it at the first Escape rally in Merritt, in 2010. If this was the last time you used it, why the heck do you still lug it around. Maybe just load it up if you know you will be needing it?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #15

I'd take it out, if I had anyplace to put it. House too small, no basement, no garage.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Kijiji?

Build a shed or garage? I would be lost without a big garage, and that is with no vehicles in it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Yup, I added a 16 ft wide bay with a 16 hi entry onto a 40x40 shop - figured I'd never have a trailer taller than a semi-trailer since we all have to fit thru underpasses.............

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd take it out, if I had anyplace to put it. House too small, no basement, no garage.
Attic?

I can relate this.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:56 PM   #19

I keep an eye on the kitchen ceiling for sagging.
If we 'downsize' and move into a condo, we'll have more space.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
2" memory foam on ours - love how it feels now. Be aware that there are LOTS of different qualities of foam. With memory foam, weight density is one measure of how much support you will get from it. We bought one cheap one that basically did nothing because it was so soft and the newer one is much higher density and gives us decent support.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
17b, bed, bed extension, mattress