Mixing window types - possible? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 4500, 2019 Escape 19'er completed 8/2019
Mixing window types - possible?

We have just committed to a 19'er, for pickup in August, and we're pretty darn excited. I have some build sheet questions.

The first is with regard to windows. We very much want to mix and match the style. Framed wherever we can get them (I like more ventilation than less and a direct view out if windows are open vs through both a screen and the tilted-out glass. Also, we're getting a manual awning and don't want the awning vs frameless window issue). I'd also like the back window to open, but that's not an option with the framed package. We currently have an old Trillium with opening windows on all 4 sides and I don't want to give that up. I do not mind that the look of the windows will not match. My sweetie is a bit more sensitive to that.

I asked Escape about getting a frameless back window and they said they don't mix & match window packages. It seems like this should not be a big deal for them, and I thought I'd read here that others have done this. We can go with other "no"s that they answer with regard to customization requests, but this one is sort of big. How hard should I push them on this? Thanks...and more questions coming!
MTSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:13 AM   #2

Trailer: Cycle Kamp motorcycle trailer
Mix and match

Also have an August build on a 19 looking to do framed windows all around, but would like to do the same (frameless opening window). Only reason I think that they won’t do it is that maybe they can only buy the frameless windows as a set not individually from their supplier.
Karmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSuz View Post
We have just committed to a 19'er, for pickup in August, and we're pretty darn excited. I have some build sheet questions.

The first is with regard to windows. We very much want to mix and match the style. Framed wherever we can get them (I like more ventilation than less and a direct view out if windows are open vs through both a screen and the tilted-out glass. Also, we're getting a manual awning and don't want the awning vs frameless window issue). I'd also like the back window to open, but that's not an option with the framed package. We currently have an old Trillium with opening windows on all 4 sides and I don't want to give that up. I do not mind that the look of the windows will not match. My sweetie is a bit more sensitive to that.

I asked Escape about getting a frameless back window and they said they don't mix & match window packages. It seems like this should not be a big deal for them, and I thought I'd read here that others have done this. We can go with other "no"s that they answer with regard to customization requests, but this one is sort of big. How hard should I push them on this? Thanks...and more questions coming!
We also asked about that and were told no, and I've heard of others also getting the same response so I doubt you'll have much success with that. Not sure why, it does seem like it wouldn't be a big deal....but during our build sheet process we adopted the attitude that when ETI gave us a firm "no" to something we would accept that and just be glad that they said yes to the overwhelming majority of things, and offer far more customization than any other manufacturer we know of.

We wanted to mix and match like you to have the standard awning - Mary wanted to be able to add a screen room - but absolutely needed to be able to leave some windows open when we're away all day for our cats without having to worry about rain coming in. We got the frameless awning windows and are very happy with them, and so far are really loving the power awning. In Texas we use the awning much more for shade than for rain protection and it's wonderfully convenient for that. If we lived in the NW in a rainy climate I would probably prefer the manual awning.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:26 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Aesthetically I do not think it would look good, having both framed and frameless. As far as wanting ventilation, the frameless will give you more opening windows as the rear open with frameless but does not with the framed. Screens will always be there, regardless of type unless you remove them.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSuz View Post
How hard should I push them on this?
How strong are you? Reace is pretty strong. Seriously, ETI is head and shoulders above everyone else in accommodating requests. Push all you want but not mixing window types seems like a reasonable position for ETI to take.

After several years with our 19 I've never felt the need for an opening back window and the cross ventilation is good with the framed windows.

We've just ordered a 21 with framed windows. There are a number of reasons that I'm not concerned that I won't have an opening rear window. But, hey, we all have our own priorities.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the input.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I got a call from ETI about three days prior to Orientation/Pick Up. This was after I called several days prior to be sure we were on schedule and got an affirmative. Wanted to be sure as Susan couldn't drive up with me and I had to book a flight for her. I was already packed and the call was about the fact that while three windows had already been installed, the rest were on backorder and would mean a delay of about 5 days. I was asked if we could just hang out up there somewhere. I've told this story before, yet in this discussion the fact is that ETI was willing to put in thermal windows in place of the back-ordered non-thermal. That would mean I would have half non-thermal and half thermal. That didn't make sense to me and due to the fact we traded our Highlander for a Yukon I was no longer ultra-concerned about eliminating excess weight I said to do thermals for whole trailer. Thermal windows weight about 100 pounds more.

So if it suits them, they will mix & match is my experience. Oh, and they charged me to R & R the non-thermals! So I would agree that ETI doesn't walk on water, and Reace, although a great guy- does in fact put his pants on one leg at a time. I guess the frustrating thing for me was a distinct impression of favoritism towards certain customers.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:57 PM   #8

Hi "Rossue". Thanks for sharing your story...but I won't have a beef with Escape over this. They have been delightful to work with so far, and we chose them in large part for their good folks, attention to detail, and customer service. And if no is our answer on a few of the things that we want, we'll go with it...and we'll still be over the moon delighted with our trailer.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
So if it suits them, they will mix & match is my experience.
Umm, wasn't that more that they were willing to help you get on the road on schedule because of the back order situation?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
That's my take - that they were willing to make an exception just for your particular situation. They are running a business, after all, and need to draw some lines in the sand, to keep a complicated, detailed production flow sane and profitable. Time is money.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Thermal vs non thermal in framed windows is different than framed and non frames... right..
I think that was the issue..

And Ron new trailer...how nice!!
Old 05-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, from the exterior and interior, thermal vs non thermal is not noticeable, whereas framed and frameless would be.

Tags
customize, framed, frameless, window, windows