My 19 Build Sheet & Questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
My 19 Build Sheet & Questions

Below is my build sheet feel free to chime in. We (family of 3 sometimes a 4th) plan to use our Escape for several week or two long trips and long weekends every season. Planning to camp during the warmer months. Boondocking 3 days tops.

I wonder what battery package would be best? Will we ever watch live TV? Is the Starter Kit worth the money since it includes propane? Shelves in the wardrobe, useful or in the way? How many? Captains reading lights, anyone like them, if so location? 6.7 Fridge an overkill? Inverter all outlets? Any other ideas or suggestions? Here is my list:

1. 2 - Way Hot Water Tank
  2. 2 Burner Stainless Steel Stove & Range (*rotated 90 degrees)
  3. 6.7cuft Fridge
  4. Additional Drawer Under Wardrobe Closet
  5. Additional Set LED Brake Lights (Vertical)
  6. Additional OPENING Window over sink
  7. Air Conditioner
  8. Digital Thermostat
  9. Aluminum Rims (x5)
  10. Bike Rack Ready
  11. Cabinet Door at end of Bench
  12. Cot Ready
  13. Cot
  14. 12V Battery
  15. hitch?
  16. Exterior 12V Outlet (x2 one each side)
  17. Exterior Propane Quick Connect with 12' Propane Hose and Adapter
  18. Extra Insulation & Thermal Windows
  19. Inverter 1500W Includes 1 Outlet
  20. LED Interior Light Package
  21. LED Exterior Light (x2 or each side)
  22. MaxxFann with Remote 7500K (Upgrade) Smoke
  23. Opening Window in Bathroom
  24. Power Jack
  25. Propane Tanks - Filled (x2)
  26. Removable Power Cord
  27. Prewire Solar Panel
  28. Winter T Valve
  29. Stainless Steel Sink & Chrome Faucet
  30. Storage Box (Front of Trailer)
  31. Surge Protector
  32. TV Ready with 120V Outlet
  33. Extendable Wall Mount Extendable TV Arm
  34. Custom Formica (will have choice soon)
  35. Custom Fabric
  36. Convert Bench Seat to U Shape Dinette
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Hi, GRINGOandTICA,
Some would probably say that the 12v is sufficient. Usually for boondocking, the two six-volts would be the way to go but you have an iffy situation with only up to three days. Guess I would say that you are likely to have more than three days at some later time where you do not expect to now, and you might wish you had two six-volts. We have had people get the 12V only to change later. You can do that, too.

Unfortunately, think you need the transfer switch for the inverter to go to all outlets.

Doubt the refrigerator could be too much for your number of people.

We use the wardrobe for hanging space for jackets and shirts. Would not want to be without it. Others prefer their shelves.

Looks like an excellent list!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Pleasure Way OnTour 2.0
About the television option: I wasn't sure we would watch TV but decided on the TV ready. A neighbor gave us a 13" TV that can run on AC or 12 volts and I made an antenna from wire coat hangers. I'm very glad we decided on the TV ready option. On a cold & rainy Sunday afternoon in Charleston we were delighted to be able to watch our hometown NE Patriots play football. In addition, we often watch the evening news and weather while preparing dinner.
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:54 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mob2014 View Post
I'm very glad we decided on the TV ready option. On a cold & rainy Sunday afternoon in Charleston we were delighted to be able to watch our hometown NE Patriots play football.
Was the picture clear enough for you to be able to tell if the footballs were underinflated? (.....sorry, had to.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Pleasure Way OnTour 2.0
Ha ha ha, very funny
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRINGOandTICA View Post
I wonder what battery package would be best?
We like the dual 6V batteries. Lots of amp hours, and they're out of the way in the storage box.
Quote:
Will we ever watch live TV?
We didn't think we would, but by the 4th rainy night, I was busy installing the TV. Consider a roof mounted antenna from Escape. Much easier than installing one yourself, and many campgrounds don't offer a cable connection.
Quote:
Is the Starter Kit worth the money since it includes propane?
We didn't bother with the starter kit. Just ordered what we needed from Amazon, and had Escape purge and fill the propane tanks.
Quote:
Shelves in the wardrobe, useful or in the way? How many?
Yes, we love the shelves. It converted a closet (we don't hang clothes when we are camping) into a very useful pantry. We ordered two shelves, evenly spaced and would not change it.
Quote:
Captains reading lights, anyone like them, if so location?
Love them! Best change of mind I had on our build sheet. We had them mounted at the head of the bed on each side. Also, you can turn them in toward the wall for some nice soft light at the bed in the evening. You may want to consider having the LEDs for them changed out to a warm white.
Quote:
6.7 Fridge an overkill?
Absolutely love the extra space of the 6.7CF fridge. Also, the two door 6.7CF performs better than the 4.3 single door in hotter weather, at least from what I've experienced, as well as testimonials from many forum members who have the smaller one.
Quote:
Inverter all outlets?
Only if you plan to use more than one AC appliance/device at a time when you're not hooked up. We do, and we like it. If you have only 12V stuff, no need. We have solar too, but we do boondock (or at least plan to) alot.
Quote:
Any other ideas or suggestions?
We like the Andersen hitch. Very solid feel and absolutely no sway when towing. Depending on your tow vehicle, you may need weight distribution. If you do, we recommend the Andersen. Also consider some flip up tables mounted on the bed side. Very handy for a cup of coffee or tea when lounging in the bed. We had a narrow one placed at the head and foot of the bed (wall between bed and stovetop, and wall between bed and fridge). The one at our feet stays out at night, and gives us a handy place for a phone, wallet, eyeglasses, or God forbid, an alarm clock. We also like the porch lights on both the driver and passenger side, controlled by two switches we had mounted on the end of the overhead cabinet over the sink.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:50 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Have you checked to see which dinette style seats 4 better?
Old 05-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post

That's a good question for a 19. We changed to a u-shaped dinette and we do like it, but I'm not convinced it's the best choice if you want to seat 4 adults. I think the u-shape works much better on a 21 or a 5.0TA. You also lose some table space with the u-shape, so it's not a cut and dried decision. I'm modifying our table to use a telescoping pedestal, and changing the direction of the slide to front and back -- that is, if I can find enough time at home to go do it. The parts are sitting and waiting. I guess with my being on vacation for 5+ weeks, my employer is making up for lost time by sending me everywhere.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I have not checked, but a 4th would be a guest. My guess is the standard seats four better, but the U-shape fits three better.

Lots of great feedback from everyone so far. Thanks, already considering your input, sheet is due at the end of the month.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:44 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
My mother is a retired interior decorator.. many years in the business. She told me years ago, never buy a home or anything else with guests in mind. You're cleaning and paying the property tax, paying the heating/cooling bills 365 days a year. And that's why they build motels... I think the same rules apply to a trailer. Build your trailer for YOU, guests will figure it out for those few days a year. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:16 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Build your trailer for YOU, guests will figure it out for those few days a year. YMMV

Unless it's my Dad, Donna.

We picked him up halfway through our trip home from Chilliwack. Gripe, moan, bitch and complain for the next several days.

Never again.

You're right. Build it for YOU. I would only add 'Then live in it YOURSELF.'
Old 05-07-2015, 10:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My mother is a retired interior decorator.. many years in the business. She told me years ago, never buy a home or anything else with guests in mind. You're cleaning and paying the property tax, paying the heating/cooling bills 365 days a year. And that's why they build motels... I think the same rules apply to a trailer. Build your trailer for YOU, guests will figure it out for those few days a year. YMMV
We are building for us, not for guests, but also some for the next owners. Then again, we can't know if we might decide to use those things ourselves! But we are not including some items that other owners would likely want also. There is a limit to including such things.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 "Sunny" , tow - Highlander XLE
I don't believe the 6.7cf fridge has two outer doors. All of the pix I've seen show just one door.
Cozy Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:40 AM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
New style is 2 door.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:56 AM   #15
Site Team

My 19 Build Sheet & Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy Rosie View Post
I don't believe the 6.7cf fridge has two outer doors. All of the pix I've seen show just one door.

Two different models, Rosie. Escape went to the RMD8555 two door. They used to use the RML8555 single door. The "D" in the model number indicates a 2 door unit. The 2 door has a slightly different cooling unit apparently, although Dometic won't give particulars. I can tell you that in Reace's testing of the 2 door unit, it cools much better than the single door. We have the 2 door as well, and it cools well in warmer temperatures -- so far. Tons of threads on here discuss the changeover. They started putting the 2 door in new trailers starting about December of 2014. Because of some Herculean efforts on the part of Reace, they've also agreed to swap out the single door units for 2 door, for those Escape customers who have the single door and want to switch. That's a tacit admission on the part of Dometic that the single door unit doesn't work properly. Here's a picture of ours..
Old 05-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 "Sunny" , tow - Highlander XLE
Thanks so much for informing me about the fridges. Had no idea Dometic made two-door models. We don't visit the forum nearly enough to stay up on things. Great looking 19 you have there.
Cozy Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #17

We're looking at shelves similar - do they get in the way when you flip the mattress?
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #18

The lást two things I need to decided on is the exterior shower and rotating the range top.

Not sure if we would use the exterior shower much?

I understand you gain some space rotating the range top, but it doesn't look proper and the larger burner further away then I would like. Also seems to close to the rear of the counter. If I was going to use this TT for months at a time, I would just pick the stove hands down. Anyone happy or unhappy with their choice?
Old 05-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I rotated the stove, use the burners as I cook in my trailer and am 100% happy. Glad I gained back some counterspace as I also had a larger sink put in.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We left the burners in the "normal" orientation and are quite satisfied with it. (Also, coming from many years as a tent camper using just a 1 burner back pack stove, having two burners in any orientation is a luxury!