"Necessary" Options - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2019, 09:32 AM   #31

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Remember the price you see on ETI's site is in Canadian dollars. That $850 solar is only costing you $637.50 in US dollars (at the current .75 exchange rate). NOWHERE can you have a 170 watt solar system installed for that price! Not even close!

Enjoy,

Perry

Old 03-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Yes, the exchange rate is an important fact when considering options.....and which ones are necessary.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Lisa, add the access door to the bathroom side of the bed. It doubles the usage of the under bed storage and isn't an expensive option.

We also got two of the flip up counter extensions (stooge tables), one by the sink, and one on the drawer stack. Be sure to have them mount the one on the drawer stack so it is flush with the countertop when it's deployed. (I have seen it mounted 3 or 4 inches lower which isn't as useful, IMHO.)

We had ETI wire our trailer for solar, but we will probably never install it (because we use a panel that we had with our Casita and that set up is working just fine. We will one day upgrade the panel, but I doubt we'll put it on the roof of the trailer - having it separate allows us to move it around if we're parked in a shady spot).

Ditto on the sound: we had ETI wire the trailer so we could install our own radio and speakers (as we had in our Casita). Since then we discovered bluetooth so that wiring won't ever be used by us.

I think the captains lights at the head of the bed are standard, but we rarely use them (because we don't read in bed). We added a pair to our dinette, even though there's plenty of light there already, because the captains lights are directional (and very nice); we use them every night. YMMV.

We didn't get an inverter, but added 12v plugs so we can use a 12v fan (Endless Breeze) on warm nights. The built-in MaxxFan is great over the bed, but it doesn't help much at the dinette. We put a 12v plug outside, too, for that same fan's use. Again, YMMV.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #34

I don't know what I think of the awning. It's expensive. We LOVED the one on the Casita, in part because you could deploy it part way and shade the back of the fridge. In the 21, the fridge is on the other side of the trailer.

We of course use the 21's awning for sitting under and shading outside stuff, but there are many places and weather conditions where we don't/can't use it. You probably already have some kind of screen house, which is much less expensive to upgrade when you want to. We'd get the awning again, but I realize they're not for everyone...
Old 03-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Mary F - any idea what the origin of the term "stooge" table is?

Look up stooge in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.A stooge or stooges may refer to:

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:39 PM   #36

Nope. It's what Donna D. calls 'em, which is why I included the term, so there'd be no confusement.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:22 PM   #37

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
I don't know what I think of the awning. It's expensive. We LOVED the one on the Casita, in part because you could deploy it part way and shade the back of the fridge. In the 21, the fridge is on the other side of the trailer.

We of course use the 21's awning for sitting under and shading outside stuff, but there are many places and weather conditions where we don't/can't use it. You probably already have some kind of screen house, which is much less expensive to upgrade when you want to. We'd get the awning again, but I realize they're not for everyone...
Our experience with the Casita awning mirrors yours . In our 6 years of Casita ownership the awning has performed perfectly
Our current 2018 21 ft has the Dometic power awning . If we were to do it again we would opted for the manual awning.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:34 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 21
Could post a pix of
The custom box please?
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:19 AM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I always thought a stooge table meant an accessory to, which in the Escape is exactly that, for accessories since the main table has been removed or used in addition with the main table, an accessory table. Either way, a colloquialism at its best.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:03 AM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Nope. It's what Donna D. calls 'em, which is why I included the term, so there'd be no confusement.
And I first learned the term years ago from Jim (cpharley2008).

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote