Need opinions asap-cushion wrap - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2019, 02:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Need opinions asap-cushion wrap

Hello, I am on a very short timeline finishing up my build sheet, and am hoping to get some help from y’all.

The main question is, do you prefer having a partial wrap of the material for the cushions or a full wrap? Especially if you chose custom fabric? Especially if you have some form of faux leather type fabric (or similar high-priced fabric) on your cushions?

What are the advantages or disadvantages of partial versus full wrap? Comfort? Wear? With time, do the cushions flatten or wear out on one side versus the other, necessitating flipping them over?

You see, I found a fabric that I adore, but it’s discounted as it’s a remnant in 2 pieces.
7.25 & 3.5 yards each, to be precise.

I think this is enough for a partial wrap for the U-shaped dinette and filler cushions. (Trying to get an answer from Escape).

But, I am wondering if it’s not the way to go considering the uniqueness and function of this particular fabric.

I’d prefer a full wrap ( to take advantage of its toxin-free and “breathable” features).

***However, I can’t find this color (or similar) or fabric line through any discount outlet, nor at most full-priced online fabric suppliers, including Sailrite.

After three weeks of research, I discovered that Ultrafabrics is considered the best type of PVC-free, non-toxic faux leather out there. The Brisa line is the only “breathable” faux leather. (This feature is important for many reasons which I can explain at another time.)

So!!! I need some guidance here!

Do I go with the partial wrap of my remnant faux leather fabric ($24/yd) with the vinyl backing supplied by Escape, or do I still tried to search more for 15 yards of the non--discounted priced fabric ($71 /yd.) for a full wrap?

BTW, after I get this done, I’ll share the resources I’ve located for Ultrafabrics, and other similar products. It took quite a bit of sleuthing! But it might help those who are looking for faux leather or vinyl alternatives for their cushion custom fabric .

Thank you!!!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
I'd go with the partial wrap, if what you've already got will cover it. You're under a time crunch - if you end up not being satisfied with the partial wrap you can keep searching for more fabric and have the cushions re-covered in a couple of years (or longer).

FWIW, our cushions have the partial wrap and it's fine for our needs.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:44 PM   #3

Thanks, Mary! That makes so much sense. Especially if we choose to add more foam cushioning in the seats.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I did the full wrap because we have a grandchild and mistakes we might make. Nice to be able to flip the cushion and have it look like new again.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
We went with full wrap on our cushions but I'm not sure we will ever flip them over but it's nice to have the option if you ever get a stain or something. I don't think it will ever be an issue with ultra leather though because of it'd durability and cleanability.

We didn't use Ultra leather in our escape but we wish we had. Our sofa is upholstered with a distressed ultra leather. I also had nine wing back chairs upholstered with it at the public library where I was the facilities manager. I got it on Etsy and Ebay for between $22 and $25 a yard If you haven't already you might give them a try .

Best of luck,
Dan
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I did the full wrap because we have a grandchild and mistakes we might make. Nice to be able to flip the cushion and have it look like new again.

Well, that’s a solid reason for the full wrap! Thanks for your comment. Enjoy the grandchildren!
Old 10-23-2019, 10:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
We went with full wrap on our cushions but I'm not sure we will ever flip them over but it's nice to have the option if you ever get a stain or something. I don't think it will ever be an issue with ultra leather though because of it'd durability and cleanability.

We didn't use Ultra leather in our escape but we wish we had. Our sofa is upholstered with a distressed ultra leather. I also had nine wing back chairs upholstered with it at the public library where I was the facilities manager. I got it on Etsy and Ebay for between $22 and $25 a yard If you haven't already you might give them a try .

Best of luck,
Dan
It’s nice to hear that the ultraleather keeps on looking new. Yes it is durable and cleans up nicely, which is yet another set of reasons why I’m pursuing it. I’ve been on eBay relentlessly, I didn’t find anything near to my color range. I only found craft sizes of this fabric on Etsy. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

It might be too late now anyway as my sheet is due in nine days. I just may go with the partial wrap. And at $24 a linear yard, it’s a great price...For a stellar product!

Thanks so much for your input!
Old 10-23-2019, 11:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Need opinions asap-cushion wrap

On the other side of the issue, literally, the vinyl on the back of standard cushions likely has higher resistance to mold and mildew, which are a constant hazard in certain climate and weather conditions. Condensation on the wall wets the backs of the cushions, and if left too long things start growing.

We’ve found stuff will start growing on the walls before the vinyl of the cushions.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, how do you know the remnant cuts are going to line up with the lengths required? You could end up with a piece that's 1/4 inch too short. Could there be a flaw in the material that you won't discover until it's too late?

Hope you have a backup plan.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:09 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always thought the vinyl on the 1/2 wrap was for wet situations such as condensation as well as young children's accidents. It may also keep your bottom warmer in colder temperatures.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #11

Thanks for bringing all of these things up. I’m going to make my decision tonight.

The reason why I’m so focused on this fabric, is that it breathes, and is non-toxic , Yes, it is resistant to spills and cleans up beautifully. As far as manufacturers go, Ultrafabrics Brisa is the best out there as far as durability, wearability, thickness. The thing is, it’s been difficult to find in the amount and color that I need. They mostly sell to the furniture, auto, boat, and RV industry .

so what everyone is saying, is the vinyl on the back could be an adjunct rather than a problem? I was wondering about the mold propensity.

ETI has Been nice enough to try to figure out if this will work for a full wrap on most of the items.

But it may be that a partial wrap is not so bad after all. I could always put a different fabric on the valances as well.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I always thought the vinyl on the 1/2 wrap was for wet situations such as condensation as well as young children's accidents. It may also keep your bottom warmer in colder temperatures.
I didn't mention this feature because I knew Jim would - but now that I'm chiming in, as an illustration of this, I and 3 friends were once caught in a blowing rain storm while out with our Casita. We all three were soaked by the time we brought in the awning and secured a couple other outside things before coming into the Casita to dry off and ride out the storm. LOVED the option of flipping the seat cushions so the vinyl side was up. Worked great, along with an abundance of towels...
Old 11-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
A couple of pros re partial
1) one cooler morning we noticed condensation behind the cushions. Appreciated being able to wipe it off the vinyl.
2) after our first trip we realized we wanted to reconfigure a few of the cushions. Make sure u have extra!
Lynn L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
The standard foam is OK, but not premium. We hated the standard fabric but decided to recover after we settled in and install the custom fabric later. 8 months later the stock foam was bottoming out. We added 2" thick foam to the bottom cushions, used 4 "of premium foam on top of that, than covered all with ultra suede. Had we picked the fabric of our dreams initially we would be sick at the waste.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
The standard foam is OK, but not premium. We hated the standard fabric but decided to recover after we settled in and install the custom fabric later. 8 months later the stock foam was bottoming out. We added 2" thick foam to the bottom cushions, used 4 "of premium foam on top of that, than covered all with ultra suede. Had we picked the fabric of our dreams initially we would be sick at the waste.
All wrap really not a good idea , you will have condensation on bottom and back cushions . We live in California and still have to deal with condensation . We chose to just take the offering and later got our own material , adding 2 in to foam sitting too . Found a upholster who worked from her home and wasn’t expensive for our material , Sunbrella and marine grade vinyl . About 300 for labor and material . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We did the full wrap and, if you decide to go that route, pay attention if your fabric has a pattern. When we got home and I was examining the fabric, I noticed that the fabric was upside down/backward when I flipped it over. When they wrapped it, they didn't take any notice of the pattern and just wrapped the fabric around and sewed it together on one edge. It's noticeable to me but maybe not to others. The upside (kind of) is that they made me order so much fabric, I have enough left over (10+ yards) to completely recover the cushions if I want.
Attached Thumbnails
1-Fabric, Correct Orientation.jpg   1-Fabric, Reverse Orientation.jpg  

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #17

Trailer: 2019 19 foot
cushion wrap

We went with the full wrap so that we could turn them over. Did use custom fabric. However, not vinyl. We have the bench seats. The top cushion moves around during travel and its nice to be able to put it back in place without worry about direction. Haven't had a spill that required turning yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post

Hello, I am on a very short timeline finishing up my build sheet, and am hoping to get some help from y’all.

The main question is, do you prefer having a partial wrap of the material for the cushions or a full wrap? Especially if you chose custom fabric? Especially if you have some form of faux leather type fabric (or similar high-priced fabric) on your cushions?

What are the advantages or disadvantages of partial versus full wrap? Comfort? Wear? With time, do the cushions flatten or wear out on one side versus the other, necessitating flipping them over?

You see, I found a fabric that I adore, but it’s discounted as it’s a remnant in 2 pieces.
7.25 & 3.5 yards each, to be precise.

I think this is enough for a partial wrap for the U-shaped dinette and filler cushions. (Trying to get an answer from Escape).

But, I am wondering if it’s not the way to go considering the uniqueness and function of this particular fabric.

I’d prefer a full wrap ( to take advantage of its toxin-free and “breathable” features).

***However, I can’t find this color (or similar) or fabric line through any discount outlet, nor at most full-priced online fabric suppliers, including Sailrite.

After three weeks of research, I discovered that Ultrafabrics is considered the best type of PVC-free, non-toxic faux leather out there. The Brisa line is the only “breathable” faux leather. (This feature is important for many reasons which I can explain at another time.)

So!!! I need some guidance here!

Do I go with the partial wrap of my remnant faux leather fabric ($24/yd) with the vinyl backing supplied by Escape, or do I still tried to search more for 15 yards of the non--discounted priced fabric ($71 /yd.) for a full wrap?

BTW, after I get this done, I’ll share the resources I’ve located for Ultrafabrics, and other similar products. It took quite a bit of sleuthing! But it might help those who are looking for faux leather or vinyl alternatives for their cushion custom fabric .

Thank you!!!
mnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
We did the full wrap and, if you decide to go that route, pay attention if your fabric has a pattern. When we got home and I was examining the fabric, I noticed that the fabric was upside down/backward when I flipped it over. When they wrapped it, they didn't take any notice of the pattern and just wrapped the fabric around and sewed it together on one edge. It's noticeable to me but maybe not to others. The upside (kind of) is that they made me order so much fabric, I have enough left over (10+ yards) to completely recover the cushions if I want.
No, it’s not noticeable except now that you’ve pointed it out. It’s beautiful however! It’s a very interesting pattern and theme, and looks lovely around the dinette.

We had difficulty choosing a fabric we liked with a pattern. So many choices!

So, we’ve decided to go with a solid color, full wrap. The fabric we chose is Ultrafabric Brisa original. It acts like a leather, and is water resistant. So I’m hoping the condensation won’t be an issue.
I appreciate everyone’s input! There’s nothing like shared knowledge from experience. Thanks so much!