New 21’ on the horizon! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Thumbs up New 21’ on the horizon!

Hello Fellow Escapees,

Well, after not being able to “escape” to the open road and glamp for almost 2 years, DH and I have decided to purchase another Escape...a 21 ‘!!!

Completion date is expected at the end of January. We are so excited!

My questions are:
1. -For those of you who have purchased a second trailer, what options did you choose to keep versus not have this time?

2. Are there any additional options not usually offered by ETI that you have added to your new Escape? Things like the Springfield table, raising the dinette, etc.?

3. What are your “top five“ must-haves?

4. For owners who have a physical disability, what additions or solutions have you added to your trailer to make it more accessible? Especially to navigate around inside, or to enter the trailer? Additional steps versus a ramp versus a hydraulic lift, etc.? Grab bars?

Let me also state that I’ve been in touch with Karl Kenny, the new president of ETI. He’s wonderfully approachable, and eager to help!

Although I’ll miss Tammy and Reace, Mr. Kenny seems to be of the same caliber.
I’m favorably impressed!

Thank you all in advance, Artlady
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Have them move the battery housing over 3 inches to make it easier to ck n fill batteries
Reinforce the bathroom wall so you can install a handrail making it easier to get out of bed and using the privy also reinforce the dining walls for mounting your TV
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Addie,
Welcome to the more than one Escape club.... I recommend the extra window over the 2 drawer night stand and reinforcing the bath/bed wall. You can then install handrails inside the bath for towel drying and one on the outside to help out of bed. The "U" dinette with the rear cushion cut in half. the floor is already raised. Outside showers, both sides and curbside light down low to illuminate the step at night. Outside hatches both rear sides. Solar, dual sixes, frameless thermal and they may give you a free front box....for repeaters.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #4

Instead of the window above the 2 drawer nightstand we went with the extra wardrobe cabinet. We find the one window above the bed more than adequate for us
Old 09-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #5

Smile Wonderful!

It’s wonderful to hear from you guys again. And as always, you’re right there ready to help!

All great ideas! Oldtimer, I hadn’t even considered anything about the inner workings. But that makes sense to shift the batteries for better accessibility . Yes, reinforcing the proper walls will be important. Thank you!

CPA, howdy again, And thank you for some more great ideas! Also, I appreciate hearing about your “top five”.

I wonder just how many people are on their second, or even third trailer.
Along with that, comes wisdom from experience.

So, keep on sharing that wonderful wisdom! It’s SO helpful!
Old 09-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #6

Trailer: ?

4. For owners who have a physical disability, what additions or solutions have you added to your trailer to make it more accessible? Especially to navigate around inside, or to enter the trailer? Additional steps versus a ramp versus a hydraulic lift, etc.? Grab bars?”

I have done a number of things to assist my wife.
1) The entry steps did not work. I removed it. Wrong spacing between the steps. Used a one step platform plus another wider ground level step. See photo.
2) The Escape installed exterior handle was too high . Installed another under the factory one. See photo.
3) Bathroom. Installed a well secured grab bar next to the sink. Strong stud wall. That helps getting off the throne. The towel rack you see attached to the door is installed with VHB tape. Not to be used for pull-ups but quite secure. There are two suction cup handles that are for stability only. Not weight bearing. They have a button device that shows green if the suction cup is properly compressed. I check it often.
4) see the photo with the assist bars by the bed. I did not get the wall reinforced as I was trying to keep the trailer weight as low as I could. There are studs at every outside corner and framing where I attached the forward bar. That worked for our needs.
5) lounge/dinette area. See photo of one well secured handle. Studs in each outside corner.
6) Screen door. Installed a bar across the door. Stability only. Not weight bearing. See photo.

All the materials used came from Amazon. Painting the white handles to match better is on the project list.

Any other questions feel free to send me a PM.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
2E2706A3-9F47-483F-9253-0276FFF2D637.jpg   5055EBB2-41D4-49DF-8A79-4B44BE2078B0a.jpg   27BBE215-113D-4994-97D9-82115427389Ca.jpg   D2E5D9C9-B975-4273-BAFF-ECC923091B35a.jpg   90EB83BE-F587-43BB-8846-7E3272454870a.jpg  

F9420080-097B-4CB0-B952-99B9106EA5E1a.jpg  
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #7

Ed, thanks for the post! Seeing the photographs really help enhance your description. I can see that the placement of these handles and bars can really help! I really appreciate you taking the time to share your information with us.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If they continue the practice, the front storage box is free for second purchasers, so I'd definitely get that. I'd ask if AGM batteries could be substituted for the standard batteries to prevent the problems with the propane alarm & extend battery time, and get the cabinet above the furnace rather than the table top. I added a small shelf at the foot of the bathroom wall that is handy, although might get in the way with two sleepers.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #9

Batteries

Hi Jon,
Since I haven’t been researching much yet, I wasn’t aware of the difference in battery qualities, nor the problems. Could you elaborate further on the issues about the batteries?

I always find extra shelves to be helpful. Where exactly did you put the shelves? ( could you post a photo? ). How did you attach them? Did you have the wall reinforced?

Just was wondering if a wall needed to be reinforced at all. What do you think is the weight limit for a shelf or a hook that’s placed on a non-reinforced wall?

I appreciate your response! So very helpful. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
My questions are:
1. -For those of you who have purchased a second trailer, what options did you choose to keep versus not have this time?

2. Are there any additional options not usually offered by ETI that you have added to your new Escape? Things like the Springfield table, raising the dinette, etc.?

3. What are your “top five“ must-haves?
If you haven't seen them these threads might be helpful...

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...rent-4975.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...ons-14902.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...ons-10082.html
Old 09-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #11

Lightbulb Info!

No, Dave, I haven’t seen these yet. As we are working on our build sheet, I have a long list of things to check and re-check.
So, your list helps to steer me in the right direction right off the bat. Thank you so much! I’ll take a look at them.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The battery problem seems to only happen with those with solar. When the solar controller finishes off the batteries or goes into the equalization stage, the batteries off gas a bit of hydrogen, enough to set off the propane detector. It doesn't seem to happen to everyone, but enough have complained about it that I'd prefer sealed batteries for a 21.

As to the shelf, I had Escape install it. I don't believe they added any reinforcing since one of the support screws is actually a rivet. You can see the shelf in one of my build photos:

Old 09-14-2019, 01:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Have them move the battery housing over 3 inches to make it easier to ck n fill batteries
Reinforce the bathroom wall so you can install a handrail making it easier to get out of bed and using the privy also reinforce the dining walls for mounting your TV
David

I'm in the process of finalizing any build sheet for my new 21, due this week. I'm curious, do you have any additional information / pictures of how you had ETI move the battery compartment? I asked my rep and she wasn't sure what I was referring to. It looks like it makes sense to have that done by them.

Thanks!
Matt
mstruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #14

Unfortunately I didn’t have ETI move our battery setup over didn’t even think about it. I will be moving ours over after our trip to the ballon festival in Albuquerque. Call your sales rep and ask them to get this done and them ask Karl since they seemed clueless on this
Old 09-14-2019, 06:53 AM   #15

Ask your representative to go look on the floor display model where the battery case is located and ask her if there are any seat supports obstructing the fill caps in the batteries. She may have to remove the cushions and look down to where the box is located. The outer most battery, closest to the curb side, needs to be accessed from above with battery water occasionally. Some models have a wood support bar right over the battery caps. Moving the entire box just a couple of inches allows access.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I'll ask on Monday - thanks guys. I'll let you know what they say
mstruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:14 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Our 2014 Escape 21 has the batteries in the dinette storage immediately next to cooktop. I know that due to comments ETI placed them in the very rear corner, yet that is a PITA location for servicing. We can still use that area behind our batteries for a lot of storage- and without an outside hatch.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:54 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
While I only have a single 12 volt battery, soon to be a dual 12 volt installation, my battery box is likely to be in the same position as if I had dual 6s in it. It appears that it would have to be rotated 90* for both batteries to be able to be accessed directly from above. The wood in the way is the non moving plywood seat base.

Nice battery box, I was hoping that I could put two 12s in it but no joy. Hate to junk it but I'll have to use a different box for my two 12s.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0014_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:48 AM   #19

Sorry to let you know now Ron, but when I ordered a group 29 single battery in #2, Escape installed the larger dual 6er box and the transition was easier later when I purchased the dual 6 batteries from Sam's club. I went with stock dual batteries in #3 and #4 so the box was larger. But you are not that far, maybe they will make an exchange?
Old 09-15-2019, 08:21 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
I wonder just how many people are on their second, or even third trailer.
Along with that, comes wisdom from experience.
There's rumor that Jim (cpaharley2008) just didn't want to bother to fill the propane tanks for the reason why he went through so many trailers.

But kidding aside, he does have a great deal of knowledge about the options that matter for the trailers.