New build questions- - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 19' Escape "On the Lam"
New build questions-

Hi--newbie here with questions based on your experiences with the Escapes. Finalizing build sheet on a 19' this week and need some advice. Still have some ? for ETI, but for y'all, here we go: (lots of stove questions--we will be getting the 2 burner SS w/ range cover).

1. Have read about members who switched the location of stove and sink (Ruthie). Do you like this change and is the ventilation from door/window and MaxxFan working well?

2. Has anyone turned the stove 90 degrees and put it by the door?

3. For those who have left the stove in its' original place and eliminated the range vent, are you able to control moisture and cooking odors well enough with the MaxxFan from that position?

4. Why are some of the very front windows showing a black interior trim and others a white one? Think they are all 19's--

5. We are wanting dual solar panels on top of trailer. Reace says it can be done, but we were wondering who may have tried this and what the results have been. My husband runs a CPCP and with doing alot of dry camping, we were hoping to avoid taking our generator. We also have a portable bi-fold solar panel we could use, as well. Overkill?

6. Going with standard upholstery, floor and Formica, but like the darker trim. Does anyone have the black w/ standard countertops? Most of what I've seen looks brown, which is nice, but curious about the black.

7. Noticed several folks have requested 12 or 14 gauge wire, instead of the standard 10. Can someone enlighten me as to why and if we mostly dry camp, if this is a good idea for us? Ike would probably shoot me for asking this, but he's not around right now, so---

Thanks for the input, we appreciate the advice. Now back to the build sheet:^)
Peace,
Gae
oldclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldclimber View Post
3. For those who have left the stove in its' original place and eliminated the range vent, are you able to control moisture and cooking odors well enough with the MaxxFan from that position?
3. Yes.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
This is the only one I can answer. Yes, we have no problem venting with the MaxxFan and the opening kitchen window, but then we don't cook all that much inside.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I don't have an opening kitchen window and I still don't have any problem controlling moisture or odors. With four other opening windows and the powerful Maxx fan, this is not an issue.

Edited: Okay, I don't fry foods in the trailer so grease is not an issue for me either.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
4. Front window isn't double glazed and is a different type of window because of the external pivoting window guard.

We turned the stove 90* It really makes a difference. I've cleaned out too many range hoods and seen the gunk that accumulates. I'd rather have any cooking grease accumulate on the interior of the range hood than get sucked towards the interior and then have grease etc. on my Maxfan.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
7. Noticed several folks have requested 12 or 14 gauge wire, instead of the standard 10.
You might want to clarify which circuits you're talking about. AC power? DC power? Circuits supplying the lights, appliance, and sockets... or circuits between the solar panels and charge controller?

In wire gauge numbers, a larger number means thinner wire - it would be surprising for anyone to request thinner wire. Perhaps it was people requesting 12 or 14 gauge wire, instead of thinner 16 gauge, for DC circuits.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:23 PM   #7

Wow--you guys are amazing! Thanks for the quick answers (and info on the wiring). I have much to learn, but will leave the electrical stuff up to the pro's. Just curious--

We don't cook much indoors and if we can't fry something outside because of weather, then forget it! It's good to know the fans take care of moisture w/o the range vent. The range vent is good for many things and I use ours extensively at home, but it also seems like a real head banger for my husband in the 19.
Thanks again,
Gae
Old 01-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
3) I will be adding some photos to "Its Friday". There is a good shot of the counter in our '21 - without the stove vent fan. We love the open look...

--
Alan

(Also note the second Maxx fan near the stove, in place of the air conditioner. We wouldn't expect any cooking moisture build-up. Fingers crossed...)
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #9

Thanks, Alan-
Old 01-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
6) The flooring & stock formica are nice; the black trim would work- not sure if it is glossy or not. Would talk to Tammy about that. The counter trim was one detail that got decided last minute and we picked what we had in our 17: cream, as it goes with the walls. To do over we would probably do brown as our counters are reddish brown.

Having had the standard in our 17 am glad we did custom fabric as it cleans very easily(Geobella) and is unique. To try and change it later is a lot of work as your valences are done in the same fabric.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #11

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it~
Gae
Old 01-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
One of the few things I would change if we were doing it again would be to change the trim to the same color or a darker color like is used on the backsplash.

Give a call sometime.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-28-2015, 07:41 AM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Kountrykamper...I'm chiming in here too. We are newbies and have a 5.0 TA that we will be speccing out and I have wondered about the trim too. If black is available I would want to do that to go with the window trim. Are the windows in your Espcape 19 thermal? Also, how much extra weight do the thermal windows and extra insulation add to the build?
Thanks,
Lucy
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:13 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have black trim around the Formica in Ten Forward. Swoon!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:26 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
One of the few things I would change if we were doing it again would be to change the trim to the same color or a darker color like is used on the backsplash.

Give a call sometime.
I see you have the stainless sink and stove, does anyone have darker counter trim with the standard white sink and stove? I am leaning towards the cream with the white. I agree with you that black or brown looks good with stainless.

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #16

I have seen the photos of dark brown trim applied to the standard counters and it looks good. Donna's counters are striking, with the custom upholstery! Gorgeous combo, as many others are. I have looked and thought I found a photo where someone used the black trim with the standard Formica and upholstery. Happy with it? Would this work as an alternative to the brown? Thanks for the help, 4 days left before the BIG SIGN:-} Will post choices later.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #17

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
new build

We have black trim in our 21 with standard formica and fabric, we really do like it.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
We have black trim in our 21 with standard formica and fabric, we really do like it.
Jack
Thanks, Jack--think we'll go that way.
Gae
Old 01-29-2015, 02:43 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie & Lucy View Post
Kountrykamper...I'm chiming in here too. We are newbies and have a 5.0 TA that we will be speccing out and I have wondered about the trim too. If black is available I would want to do that to go with the window trim. Are the windows in your Espcape 19 thermal? Also, how much extra weight do the thermal windows and extra insulation add to the build?
Thanks,
Lucy
Yes, we have the thermal windows

I don't know what it adds for weight as that would be a question for ETI but regardless of the weight I would not be without the thermal window and extra insulation.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
The thermal windows for a 21 adds approximately 100 pounds. They're better at noise reduction than providing any real extra R value for insulation as there is no inert gas between the panes- and there is very little gap to begin with. I haven't noticed any difference in condensation between my single-panes on the 17B vs. the "thermal windows", or dual-pane on the 21.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote