New Escape 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Smile New Escape 21

I have been lurking for the past few days while considering the purchase of an Escape 21. We are currently the owners of a 2010 Casita 17 SD, which we really love. We have decided to go pretty much full time as workampers, and feel that the 21 would be more livable. I do hate to see the Casita go, but I don't need two trailers.
Now comes the selections. Lots of choices, so I am sure that I will have a few questions. The delivery date is set for March 6, but I won't be able to pick it up until early June.
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:03 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Welcome Mike.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:34 PM   #3

Thanks. We are really excited. I just put down the deposit today.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Welcome. Casita's are cool little trailers for sure but once you get an Escape you will never look back!
Old 10-30-2019, 03:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
The only issue I see lol is all the modifications you will make. It’s a never ending task
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
We also moved up from a Casita (17' SD) to an Escape 21 for complementing longer trips in retirement. We enjoyed our Casita but immediately on taking delivery of the Escape have never regretted the upgrade in size. Hardest part of the decision for us was the wait for our 21 to be complete as we sold our Casita within a week of listing it which kept us from both fall and spring shoulder seasons. Enjoy the advice you will get from this group as there are many 'experienced' Escapee's willing to share there views and opinions.
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:30 AM   #7

We are looking forward to more room. My wife is concerned that the larger trailer will be harder to tow and back into some of the sites where we like to camp. We prefer COE, Forest Service and National Parks campgrounds.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We owned a 2013 17 ft Casita for over 6 years which we also truly loved and enjoyed .
We now own an Escape 21
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:59 AM   #9

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock View Post
We are looking forward to more room. My wife is concerned that the larger trailer will be harder to tow and back into some of the sites where we like to camp. We prefer COE, Forest Service and National Parks campgrounds.
You will not notice a big difference in towing the 21 if you don't look at the gas gauge. You will enjoy backing the trailer up as the dual wheels and longer distance from wheels to the tongue tames the backing process.
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:38 AM   #10

I always find the Casita a bit difficult, probably because of the short tongue length along with a short wheel base on the truck. I got used to it, but it was a learning experience.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Hello,
I think you will find many on this forum who did the exact same thing your doing
I can't tell much if any difference between towing the Casita or the Escape, I think the dual wheels on the Escape help with that.
Only bad thing to the 4 wheels is now your traveling with 8 things that can go flat instead of only 6,. 5 years towing our Casita not one single tire issue, one year owning an Escape have had one flat and also one tire dethreaded and knock some holes in the bottom of our trailer.
You will also enjoy all the extra room that's for sure.

Enjoy the journey,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I think attention to tire condition and inflation are pretty important. Anybody can pick up a screw or nail but tires are so much better now than 50 years ago that tire problems are usually not a big factor. As I’ve stated several times, check tire pressures often and an inspection of the tread with an ice pick in hand to pick out sharp rocks (especially flint) and small pieces of glass will prevent it from working in. Newer tires with good tread don’t go flat as often as older tires with less tread from my experience. Don’t tow with the passenger side tires close to the gutter if you can avoid it . Road debris gravitates to the edge. Don’t run over dead animals in the road if you don’t have to. Especially skunks.
Let rock trucks pass you and pull well ahead of you and if another car is gaining on you slow down and let him pass and pull in. Might as well have an offensive lineman blocking for you. Saves on windshields.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-31-2019, 03:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 19'
We stepped up from a 16' Scamp to the Escape 19. The 19 is a good combination for 5000 lb rated tv which allowed us to stay with our SUV. If you go with a 21 you will probably want to step up to higher rated tv especially if you are planning to hit the mountains. Also the 19 will still fit in the double parking spaces at store lots and be an easier fit in tighter camp site spots. That said the extra room in the 21 as well as the lengthwise bed is nice.
Dee08802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I think attention to tire condition and inflation are pretty important. Anybody can pick up a screw or nail but tires are so much better now than 50 years ago that tire problems are usually not a big factor. As I’ve stated several times, check tire pressures often and an inspection of the tread with an ice pick in hand to pick out sharp rocks (especially flint) and small pieces of glass will prevent it from working in. Newer tires with good tread don’t go flat as often as older tires with less tread from my experience. Don’t tow with the passenger side tires close to the gutter if you can avoid it . Road debris gravitates to the edge. Don’t run over dead animals in the road if you don’t have to. Especially skunks.
Let rock trucks pass you and pull well ahead of you and if another car is gaining on you slow down and let him pass and pull in. Might as well have an offensive lineman blocking for you. Saves on windshields.
Iowa Dave
Lots of good advice there Dave. I, like Steve am not thrilled having two extra wheels especially when it comes to new tires, having to buy four instead of two. Thanks again for setting me up for the new ones, and best of all I paid off the US credit card on Tuesday. Our dollar had gone up against yours then but dropped again a half cent today.

Mike you will be happy I'm sure moving from a Casita to 21 Escape. We have had two Escapes a 2007 single axle 5.0 now the bigger 5.0TA and love the extra room both for us and for storage.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:22 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Hello All,
One of the things I do before we go on any trip is check air pressure and also lug nuts. Our trailer sits for months at a time between use so figure always best to test that kind of thing when you are going to use it.

Enjoy the journey,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:47 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock View Post
I have been lurking for the past few days while considering the purchase of an Escape 21. We are currently the owners of a 2010 Casita 17 SD, which we really love. We have decided to go pretty much full time as workampers, and feel that the 21 would be more livable. I do hate to see the Casita go, but I don't need two trailers.
Now comes the selections. Lots of choices, so I am sure that I will have a few questions. The delivery date is set for March 6, but I won't be able to pick it up until early June.
Congrats! Fellow lurker here and soon to be ex-Casita Owner. We went back and forth on the 19 vs 21 and decided to go with the 19. We didn't want to get a bigger TV (2013 Taco) and liked the bed in the back. We also have a two couple we know who just bought Escapes, one got a 19, the other a 21, so we hung out in each and like the 19 layout better. But, since you are going to be FT, I think you are making the right choice. We are working on our build sheet and are about a week ahead of you time-wise for completion and pick up. We plan on heading to Banff after pick up.
LarryLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:17 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I, like Steve am not thrilled having two extra wheels especially when it comes to new tires, having to buy four instead of two. .
Except if this ever happens to you in an area unsuitable to immediately change a tire. Then you'd be glad that you had 4 tires and could limp to a more suitable location.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P2270025_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I second Ron. It did happen to us and I was inbound 3 miles from storage. Instead of having to change the tire on a nasty interstate, limped into storage and took care of it at leisure.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:37 AM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLSB View Post
We went back and forth on the 19 vs 21 and decided to go with the 19. We didn't want to get a bigger TV (2013 Taco) and liked the bed in the back. We also have a two couple we know who just bought Escapes, one got a 19, the other a 21, so we hung out in each and like the 19 layout better.
Larry: Not to further complicate your decision-making but have you seen the new 21 based on the 19 layout? Best of both worlds?

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...lan-16447.html

Update that trailers with the new floor plan are being delivered starting in January 2020:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...tml#post313194
Old 11-01-2019, 12:27 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Larry: Not to further complicate your decision-making but have you seen the new 21 based on the 19 layout?
Not to be too disagreeable but as one person who's owned both, I couldn't disagree more.

For years I said that I'd love to have a 21 with a 19 layout but this isn't it. The extra length would have gone into the kitchen area and possibility the rear to make two Oliver like bunks.

So the huge dinette at the expense of a small counter area and, especially for my wife, the bed so close to the stove are non-starters.

That layout might work for some but I'd hardly call it the best of both worlds.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote