No kitchen window 19' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 19'
No kitchen window 19'

Anyone not add the kitchen window in the 19'? Just wondering what your experience is?

I was thinking of getting no kitchen window, and asking if a fold down shelf could be mounted to the wall above the kitchen counter. When I wanted more counter space, I'd just fold the shelf down. I suppose I'd probably want a light on that wall because a lowered shelf might darken up the counter area somewhat.

Any comments appreciated! j
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Escape does mount a counter extension on the end of the kitchen counter near the entrance door, which is probably more useful than one that could be added to the wall where the window would be placed. I think that an extension fastened to the wall would have to be quite short so that it did not interfere with operation of the sink, maybe about 6" in length or so. Would not likely give you much space.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Escape does mount a counter extension on the end of the kitchen counter near the entrance door, which is probably more useful than one that could be added to the wall where the window would be placed. I think that an extension fastened to the wall would have to be quite short so that it did not interfere with operation of the sink, maybe about 6" in length or so. Would not likely give you much space.
you know, I was trying to imagine the space between the top of the spout and the bottom of the overhead cupboard, which is where the shelf would be folded against the wall. I thought if there was 8" minimum, that would be adequate depth for a shelf, and the shelf could run from the door to the stove (basically). So the shelf would be something like 8x18 or 8x20. But I agree with you, if there isn't room for a sizeable shelf then there's no point in doing it. Maybe I'll have to go out and have a look, that's easier than trying to use my foggy brain for imagining. thanks. j

If anyone has anyone comments about how they like/dislike having no window that would be great!
Old 10-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We opted not to have the kitchen window in our 19. I built shelf that goes behind the sink from the counter top to the bottom of the upper cabinet. It holds stuff like condiments, coffee cups, etc. It adds much needed storage space and eliminates another source of heat loss.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I didn't get the kitchen window..

- wanted a more private area to change/dress near the bathroom without having to worry about the position of the blinds ;-)
- didn't want a fabric blind right behind the splashes from the sink and food prep area. Vinyl wall cleans wipes up much easier.
- didn't want a double pane window that doesn't open.
- didn't want an opening window that was only single pane when the rest of the glass was the double pane option
Old 10-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #6

Thanks Robert and Doug, those are all good reasons that sense to me. Appreciate you taking time to give your feedback.

I think my concept for my possible shelf is to gather up all the stuff I'll need for cooking and have it in reach, but still leave the small counter area clear for chopping and a bowl. I suppose there's a zillion ways to do things, I just seem to not want to use a stovetop cover for extra work space. j
Old 10-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The window does allow more light and if it opens it provides needed ventilation which means you can eliminate the hood range. It is the only window in the 19 that can be left open in the rain with your awning down. You can add a piece of foam in the winter for warmth or pull down the blind for privacy if that is the issue. It is very dark there without the window thereby necessitating more light/battery use. With the open window and the MaxxFann open, you have cross ventilation without the need for battery use.If you get the open bath window then you have cross ventilation in 2 directions. The more ventilation the more comfortable you are and the less use of the fan and less condensation in the winter. If you want counter space, turn the 2 burner stove sideways, that will allow more room.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
This thread made me think for a few minutes about whether we wanted the opening window, but in the end Terry and I want all the light and air we can get in the trailer. However, Jim, I think they are using sliding windows now for the kitchen and bathroom and Tammy said the other day she thought they were thermal.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I opted for the opening kitchen window and am glad I did for another, different reason: I needed to add a small shelf to that wall. For cups, condiments, etc. But how do you support this shelf? Only way is connecting into the right side corner, and/or into the vent hood above. Having the window there provides a shelf anchor point on its left side.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
This thread made me think for a few minutes about whether we wanted the opening window, but in the end Terry and I want all the light and air we can get in the trailer. However, Jim, I think they are using sliding windows now for the kitchen and bathroom and Tammy said the other day she thought they were thermal.
They are using small sliding windows for the bath and kitchen, but they slide vertical and are not thermal. The optional thermal windows slide horizontal to open and they do not come that small that can open. The smallest thermal window is on the door, but it does not open and it is opaque. So if you want small and opening it is one choice, small and thermal, another choice. You maybe able to get a non opening thermal clear for the kitchen, not sure on that.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
We have no regrets about the opening window above the sink, it's remarkable how well it works with the maxxfan fan for ventilation - we turn the maxxfan fan to exhaust at night, and it pulls the air in thru the window and exhausts thru the max fan - it seems to really help with condensation as well. Plus you can leave it open and not worry about the weather.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #12

Trailer: none
Love my small opening kitchen window.

Adds more light and provides nice ventilation.
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #13

Thanks for the discussion everybody. Everyone contributes their own ideas for me to think about, so all comments welcome! j
Old 10-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I would not like the window frame that would be present on a sliding window. It is already a small window, you are obstructing your viewing area with that divider. Why an opening window when 24 inches away you have a vent that blows outside? Go 24 inches the other way and you have a screen door. Seems like overkill to me.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We have the window, but there was not an opening one available at that time. I really don't miss it not opening, as there are four big opening ones in each corner.

It does let in a little bit more light at the sink which is nice, but it really is not useful for looking out of.

If I had to do it all over again, I would likely still put one in. We don't need any more storage like a shelf over the sink for our needs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #16

Again, thanks very much for taking time to give me your input! j
Old 10-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
We opted for the opening window in our 2013 5.0 - we had the closed one like Jim in the 2008 5.0. We love both windows! They let light in and let me check on the 'hood while I'm washing dishes! The opening one is the swing out from the bottom type (not the sliding bathroom window) and it works a treat to have it open in the rain.
People keep telling me that the window and/or blind will get splashes from the sink, after almost 6 years with a window there it hasn't been an issue. Unless you're a messy washer-upper, I suppose :-)
Christine
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote