No table option - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
So, maybe instead of installing the table on the back wall, install using one of the dinette cabinets... kinda like he's doing in the video?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:31 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
So, maybe instead of installing the table on the back wall, install using one of the dinette cabinets... kinda like he's doing in the video?
Yes, that is what the person in the Casita did, attached to front sofa seat base.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There's a fairly major difference in the strength of the mounting area between a boat and a trailer.

The equivalent mounting point in the Escape is pretty flimsy by comparison. The Escape dinette seat is thin plywood and a few screws and staples. The boat seat is likely f.g. and bonded to the hull. The hull is likely 5 times thicker than an Escape shell.

When I started watching the video I had reservations about using that mount in that location. Glad to see ETI realizes that also. I think that the first time someone put some weight on the table as they were getting up bad things would happen.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
There's a fairly major difference in the strength of the mounting area between a boat and a trailer.

The equivalent mounting point in the Escape is pretty flimsy by comparison. The Escape dinette seat is thin plywood and a few screws and staples. The boat seat is likely f.g. and bonded to the hull. The hull is likely 5 times thicker than an Escape shell.

When I started watching the video I had reservations about using that mount in that location. Glad to see ETI realizes that also. I think that the first time someone put some weight on the table as they were getting up bad things would happen.

Ron
Chris Roberts mounted his table just like this with no issue I know of at all. All you have to do is supply support for the front of the dinette seat, using something like a plywood gusset, attached to the plywood floor and the bench wall (and not the shell), and it would work no problem. This type of work is something I just don't see Escape getting into though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:50 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Wondering if Chris R can chime in on how his custom mount is holding up. He made custom table mount out of aluminum. I would want to mount the Lagun mount the same way with similiar sized table. I fully expect the panel where the mount goes will need reinforced. I did not expect ETI would do this and planed to install myself.

Been done at lease once don't see why it cannot be done again.

Just recently I saw on this forum, where someone commented about ETI not hinging the top step of 5.0TA due to it being structural component, but several have done it. You do the mod, you accept the risk.
Attached Thumbnails
Chris R Custom mount 20151102d8e_1854.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #26

Jim, you beat me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Chris Roberts mounted his table just like this with no issue I know of at all. All you have to do is supply support for the front of the dinette seat, using something like a plywood gusset, attached to the plywood floor and the bench wall (and not the shell), and it would work no problem. This type of work is something I just don't see Escape getting into though.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:12 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Absolutely, no problem adding structure to get the required strength. My comment relates to the video showing it attached to boat structure that is likely many times stronger than an Escape dinette seat. As long as folks don't take the installation shown in the video as all that's required, go to it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Absolutely, no problem adding structure to get the required strength. My comment relates to the video showing it attached to boat structure that is likely many times stronger than an Escape dinette seat. As long as folks don't take the installation shown in the video as all that's required, go to it.

Ron
Ah, gotcha.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-10-2016, 10:25 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Wondering if Chris R can chime in on how his custom mount is holding up. He made custom table mount out of aluminum. I would want to mount the Lagun mount the same way with similiar sized table. I fully expect the panel where the mount goes will need reinforced. I did not expect ETI would do this and planed to install myself.
What I did to strengthen the back of the dinette was to glue 3/4 inch plywood behind the 1/8 inch panel, tightly fitted to the framing. The existing 1/2 framing was well built, so carefully filling in with the plywood stiffened the whole back wall. There is also a plywood gusset in the middle attached to the seat structure and to the reinforced dinette wall. The load is daily well distributed across the back on to each side seat. I can not detect any movement when putting weight on the table. I suppose If I put my whole weight and twisted, something may give, but so far it is holding up well under normal use.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:41 AM   #30

Here is the link to the Scamp install...
Adding a front table to a Scamp using the Lagun Swiveling Cockpit Table Mounting Syst - Fiberglass RV
Old 12-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, that is what the person in the Casita did, attached to front sofa seat base.
The Lagun table appears to now be standard in a T@B trailer which has a seat frame similar to Escape. Careful installation should make this support very workable. Will try to post a copied picture. Here is a link.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads...hl3v04yma9.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0028.JPG  
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA (July 19, 2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
What I did to strengthen the back of the dinette was to glue 3/4 inch plywood behind the 1/8 inch panel, tightly fitted to the framing. The existing 1/2 framing was well built, so carefully filling in with the plywood stiffened the whole back wall. There is also a plywood gusset in the middle attached to the seat structure and to the reinforced dinette wall. The load is daily well distributed across the back on to each side seat. I can not detect any movement when putting weight on the table. I suppose If I put my whole weight and twisted, something may give, but so far it is holding up well under normal use.
Thanks Chris and to all those who replied about my initial concern about the Lagun table mount voiced in an ETI email. I'm sure an adequate reinforcing of the bench back can be accomplished (similar to the above solution) so that this light weight pedestal and table system can be safely used (sure hope so, I've already purchased the Lagun pedestal!).
Thanks again for the great responses,
John
LatLongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #33

Jim, since you will be at ETI next week. Just wondering if you had it in mind to ask ETI if they would reinforce the rear base of u shape dinette?

Though I'm sure not that difficult to add after the trailer is home. Seems it would be easier and better if ETI did it during construction?

Will be impatiently waiting for your report of the new 2017 5.0TA!

Quote:
Old 12-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Jim, since you will be at ETI next week. Just wondering if you had it in mind to ask ETI if they would reinforce the rear base of u shape dinette?

Though I'm sure not that difficult to add after the trailer is home. Seems it would be easier and better if ETI did it during construction?

I'm not sure the rear base is adequate as you also need to brace the floor which was done in Chris's install as well as the Scamp's install. Remember Chris also installs a raised floor. You will have to tie that back panel to the floor panel so that the result is one solid unit. Again some customization will have to be done by the owner as Escape is on a schedule, so that option is always there later.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #35

Quote:

I will run it by Reace, though I already have quite the lest of things to discuss, as well as things to check out. I will have most of the day, with a couple hours to go pick up my stove and flooring to bring back.

I think the idea of metal L brackets might be a good one too, something the mount bolts through, and can be also well attached to the floor under the bench.

I sure hope the first 5.0 is mostly done by next Monday, but I bet it is.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:02 PM   #36

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
I will run it by Reace, though I already have quite the lest of things to discuss, as well as things to check out. I will have most of the day, with a couple hours to go pick up my stove and flooring to bring back.

I think the idea of metal L brackets might be a good one too, something the mount bolts through, and can be also well attached to the floor under the bench.

List, Jim!!
Old 12-12-2016, 07:30 PM   #37

The floor under the bench is your fresh tank.....
Old 12-12-2016, 07:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
List, Jim!![emoji23]
Oh, hush you. Stupid swipe typing on my phone.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA (July 19, 2017)
Lagun Table Base response by ETI

Quote:

Hi Jim - Please find below ETI's (Sarah Morelli) response to my inquiry regarding the use of the Lagun table pedestal. It looks like I'll need to do my own after market reinforcement and install for the Lagun pedestal. Maybe one day the Lagun or similar style table pedestal will be available from ETI - sure seems to be the way to go to save space and have a more open floor plan on these smaller trailers.
Enjoy your time at ETI. We all look forward to hearing about your visit there.
John
ETI email quote from Sarah: "I have spoken with the production manager regarding your selection for table base.
We have opted not to install this during production as we are unsure of the implications of doing so. We would be happy to not install our table in your trailer, allowing you to install the Lagun after market."
LatLongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatLongJohn View Post
Hi Jim - Please find below ETI's (Sarah Morelli) response to my inquiry regarding the use of the Lagun table pedestal. It looks like I'll need to do my own after market reinforcement and install for the Lagun pedestal. Maybe one day the Lagun or similar style table pedestal will be available from ETI - sure seems to be the way to go to save space and have a more open floor plan on these smaller trailers.
Enjoy your time at ETI. We all look forward to hearing about your visit there.
John
ETI email quote from Sarah: "I have spoken with the production manager regarding your selection for table base.
We have opted not to install this during production as we are unsure of the implications of doing so. We would be happy to not install our table in your trailer, allowing you to install the Lagun after market."
I would have expected a response like this. They can't just start installing every option a customer wants.

I expect to do most of the custom work in my own trailer. All I would want from Escape is that whatever they do will streamline the process for me if at all possible.