Ok to eliminate exterior access hatch? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2018, 03:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 21' 2018
Ok to eliminate exterior access hatch?

Trying to pare down our list, which is proving difficult. Every time I post I think I add something. Due tomorrow.

The bench seat exterior access hatch...is it that important?
Old 01-24-2018, 03:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Nope, space is accessible from above whereas the under bed hatch area is not accessible easily.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:44 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I can't answer as I don't have a 21', but something that really helped me was to think of the things I could do later versus the things that I felt needed to be done during the build, because I couldn't do it. I've seen plenty of owners put in exterior hatches. It's something I'd be willing to do. Running propane lines, and electrical wiring... no.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
We have a 19 but would never consider not having the outside hatch.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
You do not say which side. We have the driver's side one added and I knew what I was getting out of there before it was ordered. Others have added on both sides and they are glad to have them but some are fulltimers. Others said that they did not need any added. You will just have to guess on this one probably.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
By the title I thought you might be considering eliminating the standard hatch under the bed. Prior to our build sheet being due someone here posted how they were not getting the standard or any hatch as they felt it would eliminate moisture intrusion. Considered doing same for a while, however very glad to have that access under the bed. Don't miss having one anywhere else though.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #7

We're just so far away, you know? Not that I'll never want to go back, but...maybe not for a hatch installation.

I guess we'd get the driver's side, just since that's the standard rec by ETI. No clue what we'd use it for. We've never set up or used an RV. I feel like anything I could put in it, I could easily carry inside. But obviously people love it for a reason.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
We're just so far away, you know? Not that I'll never want to go back, but...maybe not for a hatch installation.

I guess we'd get the driver's side, just since that's the standard rec by ETI. No clue what we'd use it for. We've never set up or used an RV. I feel like anything I could put in it, I could easily carry inside. But obviously people love it for a reason.
Exactly. You are down south and do you have someone you want to cut a big hole in your trailer?

We have the standard for under the bed and a second driver's side hatch added, which quite a few have and are glad to have it. Some have a third and use it, too.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I didn't get one and don't miss not having it. I store larger and less frequently used items in that bench area. (Electric space heater, additional power cords, exterior propane stove, a large cooking pot, Anderson Jack and some additional jack blocks I seldom use.) It is well packed and padded with foam so nothing bounces around.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Exactly. You are down south and do you have someone you want to cut a big hole in your trailer?

We have the standard for under the bed and a second driver's side hatch added, which quite a few have and are glad to have it. Some have a third and use it, too.
Hm, might fall under the better safe than sorry category.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
Hm, might fall under the better safe than sorry category.
Hi Southern Camper. We are kinda in the same boat as you: Coming down to the last couple of weeks before our build sheet is due on our 21. Just my thoughts on stuff like exterior hatches on the build sheet. My wife and I don't have an unlimited budget to spend on our trailer. We have to prioritize our wishlist (build sheet) taking into consideration where and how we camp as well as our budget. However things like extra outlets and exterior hatches are not very expensive and they are things we could see ourselves using every time we camp so we have added several outlets and 2 additional hatches. Because they are relatively inexpensive I don't see myself having some great regret if we don't use them as much as I think we will. I can see myself regretting not spending $75 on an outlet or $120 on a hatch if later we wish we had included them. I am not skilled enough to add hatches after the fact so for us it's now or never.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #12

Just remember each one of those hatches has crappy pot metal latches that corrode easily and plastic latch hooks that can break. Never missed having an extra hatch and most people in the know(Jim Bennet for example) will tell you that it is not that difficult to add one later so if I was in a quandary only because of distance from ETI to add it later then I would get a quote from an RV shop near me. The OP expressed concern over budget and to me there are things like a power jack and inverter that make a lot more sense that a couple of extra hatches for space easily accesible under benches. A lot of the things we store couldn't go in from an outside hatch anyway. The bed access in a 21 is difficult, which reminds me- many forget to order a second door on the face of the bed frame. That is worth it IMO. Sorry if I'm ranting, yet I see so much of the kitchen sink approach and to me less is more much of the time.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
For nearly 48 years Rita and I have maintained a household and a for about 38’years we’ve had campers. We work best if there is a division of labor and understanding about whose space is whose. I have the outside hatches and the storage box. Rita determines usage of all the rest. We had three hatches on the 19. I used them all and was glad I had them. We have two on the 21. It’s not possible for us to have one on the front passenger side because the shower is there. It is not practical to have one in the rear passenger side under the dinette because the batteries are there. I don’t like to go in the camper to get stuff and she does not like me digging through her spaces. Hell, it’s a marriage made in heaven. Again, do what makes you happy and what you can afford. It’s a long way to Chilliwack if you want them to work on your trailer but they do good work. 45,000 miles of Escape camping no problems with the latches or the hold open hooks or the hinges or the seals. Just my $.10 worth. $.12 Canadian
Iowa Dave
Old 01-24-2018, 06:14 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Just my $.10 worth. $.12 Canadian
Iowa Dave
Dave sorry it can't be 12 cents Canadian we don't have pennies anymore, must round down to 10 cents

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Rounding

Hi Adrian
Well you’re right when it comes to a dime and 12 cents, the exchange
gets a little more significant when we’re talking 30 or 40 large for a new trailer. Cappiche?
Iowa Dave
Old 01-24-2018, 06:32 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
I have thought about the exterior hatches. The only one we use is the front driver side, a lot since the switches for the front legs are in there. Last year out west the left bottom plastic piece holding the door broke so the door fell off and I had to manufacture a short metal piece to fit in there to stop it doing that. We've never used the passenger side front hatch, the only other one on our trailer.

Considering buying a new 5.0TA and think I would only have that one exterior hatch. I would rather use the area where that hatch would be for interior storage modifying the cabinet like Jim B did.

We find we have sufficient interior storage space now and would have more than enough in a TA. Like the OP we must watch the budget when we start a build sheet. Stuff not wanted inside because it's dirty can always go in the bed of the truck.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:03 PM   #17

$150 cdn for a hatch is not so much of a concern, per se, I just want to be sure that the things we've added won't wind up to be obviously superfluous once we use it. So I like to get input on how they're used. We'll probably get it, I'm just making sure people aren't listing uses that we definitely can skip, or regretting adding it on.

I'm considering skipping the aluminum wheels, since getting them down the road is nothing. Cutting a hatch aftermarket, now...I can see how that COULD get troublesome, especially as we'd have someone else do it for us, which is always scary. So if it's a good add on, no problem.

We did get the extra underbed door, thank you!
Old 01-24-2018, 10:32 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Dave sorry it can't be 12 cents Canadian we don't have pennies anymore, must round down to 10 cents
Sure it can... just not for cash transactions.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:45 PM   #19

Totally agree on skipping the aluminum wheels. Wish I had and rhen bought ones I like better at first tire change. They make you buy 5 now too.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Totally agree on skipping the aluminum wheels. Wish I had and rhen bought ones I like better at first tire change. They make you buy 5 now too.
Ah yes. Could use an old steel one for a spare. Nice.