Options that are not on the list - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I have this version of the Wilson trucker antenna, which is side mounted on the rear driver's side of the trailer. It provides about 3db worth of gain at the Verizon (and AT&T) LTE frequencies. When first installed, it fed a 3 watt 3G amp, but since moving to 4G, I switched the old amp out for a Sleek Cradle, the latest version that can be switched between the Verizon & AT&T LTE frequencies.

Anyone wanting a good deal on the 3G 3 watt amp should let me know - it is just sitting on the shelf. While the cradle ties you down in that your phone or hotspot has to sit in it, it does find Verizon 4G service where the hotspot alone does not, and a bluetooth earpiece lets you use the phone without having to stand at the cradle.

For those dry camping, one caution - the combination of the hotspot & Sleek amp draws close to 2 amps when on...
Jon, your antenna is similar to the one I have. Are you getting 4G service? The reason I ask is that it was the a Wilson tech support guy who told me these antennas didn't work with 4G. According to him, the only god antenna for 4G is the little magnetic mount antenna. But you can't use it on a fiberglass trailer because it needs a ground plane. Apparently an metal pizza pan makes a reasonable ground plane, but I didn't want to mess with that.

Full disclosure: I spent 30 years as a software engineer. My favorite joke was the question about how many software engineers it takes to change a light bulb. The correct answer is 'None. It is a hardware problem'. So I am relying on others for all this.

LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #52

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
On our 19 I had lights added on the front and the street side, only used a couple of times. Didn't bother with them on the 21. As for backing up, light or no light I get out and go back there and survey the area, if its dark I just take the flash light and while I am backing up I have a passenger back there with the flash light.

dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #53

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
IMPO working in cellular industry for 20 years: the carriers got the FCC to punt for them. These current boosters are 1W instead of 3W. I talked with Holly at Wilson(see post 37 "this amplifier" "5 answered questions") and she admitted that the current crop isn't as good as previously. IF you have some signal, then this will help your 4G or whatever. However, in remote areas where what you can only realistically expect is to make a call(not watch Dish Network via Slingbox) then a 3 Watt booster may pull in enough to get the call out. It definitely helps to have Verizon or in Canada I would bet Telus. While supplies last Wilson will ship the old 3W boosters starting with 8 to Canada.

As to AT&T and 700 mghz, not anytime soon. They have been traditionally 850/1900.
A Visual Guide to 700 MHz : AT&T (Phone Scoop)

AT&T Mobility just bought some fresh 700 MHz spectrum in the Lower B block, ... AT&T hasn't announced what it will do with its 700 MHz spectrum, although LTE ...
So, If I have a Verizon MiFi, what antenna setup should I get?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I have this version of the Wilson trucker antenna, which is side mounted on the rear driver's side of the trailer. It provides about 3db worth of gain at the Verizon (and AT&T) LTE frequencies. When first installed, it fed a 3 watt 3G amp, but since moving to 4G, I switched the old amp out for a Sleek Cradle, the latest version that can be switched between the Verizon & AT&T LTE frequencies.

Anyone wanting a good deal on the 3G 3 watt amp should let me know - it is just sitting on the shelf. While the cradle ties you down in that your phone or hotspot has to sit in it, it does find Verizon 4G service where the hotspot alone does not, and a bluetooth earpiece lets you use the phone without having to stand at the cradle.

For those dry camping, one caution - the combination of the hotspot & Sleek amp draws close to 2 amps when on...
Jon, a question. My Verizon MiFi has inputs on two sides for external antennas. Would it be a better setup just to put the MiFi into the cradle which is connected to an external antenna, or plug it in directly to an antenna? The whole 4G signal amplification topic is a black hole to me. Now if we're talking Routers, Firewalls, Switches, Network Access Control, etc, I'm your guy....
Old 08-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #55
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
If you put the MiFi in the cradle that allows you to use the 4G phone in your hand instead of a Bluetooth add-on. As I didn't buy the MiFi I can't help with the direct connection to the antenna without the cradle - but I don't think you need both head ends (cradle plus MiFi.)

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
If you put the MiFi in the cradle that allows you to use the 4G phone in your hand instead of a Bluetooth add-on.
Understood. The question was more about which setup is better -- to use a sleek cradle or to plug directly into an antenna jack, since the MiFi has the inputs.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #57

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
As to the antenna, keep in mind this from Wilson: "With any external antenna, it’s important to remember that it will be exposed to mother nature, which can be very tough on equipment. In particular, antennas are susceptible to lighting strikes since they’re made of metal and have some level of electricity flowing through them."

After reading Vermilye's post about having to fish new coax after his first trucker antenna broke, I decided against having a permanent antenna, as ETI would not install conduit for coax. After reading the above, it is another reason for me not to. I just use my mag-mount when I need it, and the wire is so thin you can close a door on it or leave a window cracked. You only need a fairly small metal disc for the ground plane.
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #58
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
As to the antenna, keep in mind this from Wilson: "With any external antenna, it’s important to remember that it will be exposed to mother nature, which can be very tough on equipment.
That's why I had mine added above an overhead cabinet so I can easily get at it to for a replace/repair should one be needed. It's on the fridge side of the door opening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wk1 fridge_closet.JPG (46.8 KB, 82 views)

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
That's why I had mine added above an overhead cabinet so I can easily get at it to for a replace/repair should one be needed. It's on the fridge side of the door opening.
Our plan too. If it ever needs replacing it should be a simple matter. Thanks for the photo.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #60

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Jon, your antenna is similar to the one I have. Are you getting 4G service? The reason I ask is that it was the a Wilson tech support guy who told me these antennas didn't work with 4G. According to him, the only god antenna for 4G is the little magnetic mount antenna. But you can't use it on a fiberglass trailer because it needs a ground plane. Apparently an metal pizza pan makes a reasonable ground plane, but I didn't want to mess with that.

Full disclosure: I spent 30 years as a software engineer. My favorite joke was the question about how many software engineers it takes to change a light bulb. The correct answer is 'None. It is a hardware problem'. So I am relying on others for all this.
I'd try contacting Wilson again. Their web page shows the short trucker antenna as having around 3db gain at 700Hz, the AT&T and Verizon frequency used for LTE by both.

As to the cable rerun, it wasn't fun, but I have done a number of electrical restorations on historic homes, and am used to fishing wires with all kinds of tricks. The trailer was no worse than any of those jobs...

As to the antenna,I have no problems with 4G Verizon using the antenna with the Sleek. I have the adapter to plug it directly into the hotspot, but was not impressed with the result. Antenna gain alone = 3db; with the antenna and Sleek gain = as much as 23db...