Options that are not on the list - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #81

Trailer: 2018 19 (& previously 2014 19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by batcat View Post
...Also, RooBarb, what type of backup camera did you install and it's approx. cost?
The cost was $300. It is from rearviewsafety.com (RVS-770613-213 1 camera set up 5th wheel | backup camera system | Rear View Safety) and we got the kind you can plug and unplug when you hitch.
RooBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #82

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I also do not appreciate the motion detector lights.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #83

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm picturing some poor camper in a Boler with no bath, making his way to the washrooms and getting blinded by motion activated lights, stumbling in the dark when they switch off.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #84
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm picturing some poor camper in a Boler with no bath, making his way to the washrooms and getting blinded by motion activated lights, stumbling in the dark when they switch off.
I'm picturing myself having always camped in tents, not remembering what that doo-hickey does or what that switch is for...
Old 08-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #85

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
From my tent camping days I went from 3 cell flashlights and 2 mantle coleman lanterns to 2 AAA flashlights and 1 mantle lanterns at the lowest setting. I can't stand it when the RV'er leaves a bright light on all night. I guess that's why we don't camp any place with "resort" in the name! End of my rant!
Old 08-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #86

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
That is what happens when they walk across your site, the range on these can be set plus I'd rather have a motion that comes on when returning to my site versus leaving your light on the entire time you are gone. I think they are less obtrusive than leaving your light on. when you go to bed you turn them off, just like you do now with your stock item.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #87

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I see a contented Boler Man who exits his camper and has his own wonderful motion light that he uses to make his way easily past his coupler without banging his knees and he then strolls up to the bathroom. In the distance as he starts to return, he sees a dark figure, what, approaching his camper. But, alas, a light suddenly illuminates the figure and his duffle and off into the night the intruder runs far, far away....And Boler Man comes back, again, no mangled knees, and climbs happily into bed beside his sleeping wife, thrilled in the knowledge that his fine and effective light has done its job once again. And nary a neighbor noticed.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #88

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
A properly adjusted and used motion light can be a good thing, however as with most good things in life there are, well, morons and it seems alot of them do silly things like have really bright lights intruding on others or have loud generators on long extension cords far away from their camp but pointed at their neighbors etc , etc, etc.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #89

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I see a contented Boler Man who exits his camper and has his own wonderful motion light that he uses to make his way easily past his coupler without banging his knees and he then strolls up to the bathroom. In the distance as he starts to return, he sees a dark figure, what, approaching his camper. But, alas, a light suddenly illuminates the figure and his duffle and off into the night the intruder runs far, far away....And Boler Man comes back, again, no mangled knees, and climbs happily into bed beside his sleeping wife, thrilled in the knowledge that his fine and effective light has done its job once again. And nary a neighbor noticed.
Hi: Floating Cloud... Now "He's seen the light"...they all lived "Happily ever after". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #90
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I think I might prefer a motion detector light over those that FORGET to turn off their porch lights. GAD. At least with a motion detector, it WILL go out. And if properly aimed, I don't believe it would be affected by small animals, rustling leaves or movement of trees. At least the one on my sticks 'n bricks home isn't.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #91

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I see a contented Boler Man who exits his camper and has his own wonderful motion light that he uses to make his way easily past his coupler ...NOT
I think I am that Boler man you are all refering to until my we get our Escape next spring
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #92
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
I think I am that Boler man you are all refering to until my we get our Escape next spring
Ian, having seen pictures of your Boler, I don't think you could ever be described as a "poor camper in a Boler". Contended, yes. Poor, no.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #93
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Ian's and Joan's Boler is exquisite. No other words come close. I'm betting their Escape 19' will be so-far-beyond "stock," it will make our heads swim.

I hope to physically see it one day...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #94

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
I know from the photos I have seen that Ian's Boler is as Donna says exquisite. They came all the way from Calgary to the MB rally which is only 35 minutes from our door but unfortunately we had a family reunion that weekend, but next year we are going

Perhaps Ian will bring his new 19 then, wonder where he's putting the wine rack

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:34 AM   #95

Trailer: Working on my build list
I'm in favor of the switched outside lights on all sides for security. I spent several summers in my youth working in campgrounds for the US Forest Service. While theft and violence were rare, we did see them in all campgrounds. I also worked in a campground that was the exception. On Friday and Saturday nights the sheriff's cars were in and out frequently. Lots of drinking, fighting and assaults. Petty theft was high. Vandalism was constant. Made coming to work in the morning interesting. Never knew what we would need to put right. I went to a different area the next summer and was happy to have left. Got some great stories and a permanent case of skepticism about my fellow man out of it.

The big problem was if you were not familiar with the place you wouldn't know what you were getting into until night fell and the folks next door started causing problems.
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #96

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I ended up camped across the road from a trailer with a motion detector spotlight. Every time I went out of my trailer it came on. Since I was trying to take some photos of the Escape under the stars, it was a pain in the neck!
Old 08-29-2014, 09:33 AM   #97

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
these are nice Amazon.com: Starlights SL-1000 Smart Light 1000 12-volt Exterior Motion Light, White: Automotive
I have thought about replacing the factory ones with these.
It sounded like a good idea. We put one of these on our previous Scamp 19' and found that the range extended QUITE far from the trailer. We sold it and got our Escape before we had time to mess with any possible adjustments to range...not sure if there were any. So most of the time we left it turned off....
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #98

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
My view of motion-sensing lights is about the same as my view of car alarm systems: if you are not running out to check on what triggered the system, you shouldn't have it turned on. I trust that any user of motion-sensing lights intends to get up and look out the window every time the light is triggered; otherwise, it has no purpose and is only an irritation to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEnder View Post
I also worked in a campground that was the exception. On Friday and Saturday nights the sheriff's cars were in and out frequently. Lots of drinking, fighting and assaults. Petty theft was high. Vandalism was constant.
Based on this experience, do you think lights on trailers that went on and off as people and animals moved around would have made any difference to the problems?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #99

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
We put one of these on our previous Scamp 19' and found that the range extended QUITE far from the trailer. We sold it and got our Escape before we had time to mess with any possible adjustments to range...not sure if there were any. So most of the time we left it turned off....
Good point. I think this is one of the major issues with a motion-sensor light on an RV: unlike a similar device on a house, the detector will not be aimed to cover the correct area or adjusted in sensitivity to suit local conditions. Even if you get it right for one campsite, it probably won't be right for the next one.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #100

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Great movement detector.
Attached Thumbnails
motionD.jpg