Ordered but don't need - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Ordered but don't need

In deciding options, what ones have people ordered that they do not need but think the next owners or they themselves might need later? In other words, how much do you put on your trailer that you do not necessarily intend to use?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
I never gave it a thought. My kids will use it after I am gone. Fiberglass lasts forever.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:06 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
In deciding options, what ones have people ordered that they do not need but think the next owners or they themselves might need later? In other words, how much do you put on your trailer that you do not necessarily intend to use?
We made ours TV ready although we don't intend to ever put in a TV . Thinking about resale.

We also had it bike ready but don't have bikes..... Maybe someday

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:38 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Nada. Zip. Zilch. We put in what we knew we would use and enjoy - with of course the exception of those options which were solely aesthetic, like fabric and countertop colors.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
If you watch TV and bring bikes (which you do maybe?) then no problem. But if you do not, and those options are commonly sought and expected to be there by others, then do you put them. Same for stereo. But many other options are not in that category.

Larry and Liz, we think the same on those. Now, however, people are even watching TV and movies on their computers. No telling what might be next and whether TV will become uncommon.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:31 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I had Ten Forward wired for solar and A/C, but currently don't have either. Those are for my future use. I haven't used the propane quick connect yet either, still plotting which propane fire pit I want. I have taken my bike with me a couple of times, but not every time.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:52 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Didn't add anything to this one although I did to the last. When I sold the last trailer after 8 years the oven brought me nothing extra. I did get a couple items, antenna and wiring for the TV and stereo prewire, just in case I decide I want such. The trailer was built for my current and future needs. The idea is that it's my last one.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #8

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
I had ETI install 2 Maxx fans.1 will fit where the ac would go for future considerations.I tried to pre-wire for solar,but apparently.It couldn't be done with the 2Maxx fans,bike ready future.Had them use better cable ties[nylon],under the trailer.Rocks hit my wiring under my 15A trailer,leaving it swinging,dangling in the breeze.Fortunately,i spotted it before some real damage took place.ETI shouldNOT use them underneath,to hold up wires IMO..7 More days for p/up of my 21...
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:16 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
If you watch TV and bring bikes (which you do maybe?) then no problem. But if you do not, and those options are commonly sought and expected to be there by others, then do you put them. Same for stereo. But many other options are not in that category.

Larry and Liz, we think the same on those. Now, however, people are even watching TV and movies on their computers. No telling what might be next and whether TV will become uncommon.
We skipped on stereo wiring also. Technology changes so much and we didn't want holes in cabinets. In our small trailer I figure wireless music through iPod/macbook will be good.

I hadn't thought about people moving away from traditional TV viewing. And who knows what people will be using for watching/listening when, many years from now, when we either sell the trailer.

(or perhaps our children will want it. our kids LOVE borrowing our truck to haul their stuff around. Maybe they will want the cute little 17b .

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Yep, the stereo is just about the only thing we got that I would skip now. It only gets used when we are inside and not sleeping, which is not too common.

As mentioned elsewhere, we have only a couple times used the outdoor shower, and would not put on on the backside again. If I do want to shower, I will use the one inside. Being on the back, we often have that back side tight to trees (or something), and seems too out of the way for regular use. Still plan something for the front side though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
If Now, however, people are even watching TV and movies on their computers. No telling what might be next and whether TV will become uncommon.
Is there any other way? I stopped taking our little TV with us. The laptop, with a TV stick, is much more versatile. It can be used anywhere inside or, a couple of times when it's been really hot, outside on the picnic table to watch a movie.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:55 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
We skipped on stereo wiring also. Technology changes so much and we didn't want holes in cabinets.
On my trailer the pre wire for the stereo is just speaker wires run along existing cable runs, no extra holes anywhere. Not that I've done anything with them.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
The jury is still out on the 1500 watt inverter, and the transfer switch for all outlets, that I ordered on the 19. It quite well may come in handy down the road, but then I've had a built-in 400 watt inverter on my Tacoma, and have used it twice in 6 years.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
The jury is still out on the 1500 watt inverter, and the transfer switch for all outlets, that I ordered on the 19. It quite well may come in handy down the road, but then I've had a built-in 400 watt inverter on my Tacoma, and have used it twice in 6 years.
I know this was discussed before, but unless you have a real need to use something 120V, that will work with an inverter that size, plus have good recharging capacity, there is not a great need, in my mind.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i love my TV / DVD player perfect for TV watching in bed. And I use my stereo when cooking working on something in the trailer. i camp alone so its nice sometimes to listen to when in the trailer.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:27 PM   #16

The inverter was the very last unresolved item on my build sheet, and at the end I just said "Oh, what the heck" and went all in. As it turned out, I got a bad unit and the manufacturer ended up replacing it, although shipping it back to Canada was expensive. The only 120v devices we carry are a small electric heater, a coffee pot, and a portable vacuum cleaner. The heater sucks up way too much juice, so I wouldn't even try that. The vacuum not so much, and it's head and shoulders better than any 12v vacuum I've owned, so maybe between that and the coffee pot it will get some use.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
As mentioned elsewhere, we have only a couple times used the outdoor shower, and would not put on on the backside again. If I do want to shower, I will use the one inside. Being on the back, we often have that back side tight to trees (or something), and seems too out of the way for regular use. Still plan something for the front side though.
I opted not for the outdoor shower, but for the outdoor dish washing station (same thing!). It is being installed on the door side of the trailer to the rear, rather than the back. It will be used for washing dishes on those rare occasions that I forego the use of paper plates. It will also be used to rinse sandy feet if we walk from the pool or lakefront bare footed. It may not be used extensively, but it will be handy when needed.

As far as the stereo goes, I did order it because it is my understanding that it is Bluetooth compatible, and I will be able to stream music from the iPhone. I do have a JamBox portable speaker, but it needs to be charged, which seems to be every time I want to use it. I like music at dinner time and if it is raining and windy, uncomfortably cold or buggy, I cannot eat outside. I generally do not play music outside out of courtesy to my "camping neighbors."
Old 03-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I had the TV antenna installed with the idea that it would make the trailer more "resalable," I don't use it and replaced it with a Terk XM Radio antenna.

As to the inverter, I do love my pot of drip coffee in the morning!
Old 03-18-2015, 06:36 PM   #19

Trailer: not yet
So, best guess, how many amp-hours does a pot of drip coffee take to brew?
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:55 PM   #20

I'll likely be considered a heathen, but my electric coffee pot is a percolater! I've had it at least 30 years, probably longer. It's one of those small travel sizes, I used it on my sailboat, and it's held up admirably...probably because it was made in the USA, back when we were still making products such as that. I'll have to look to see how many amps it draws.