Perspective Please - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
Member
 
gmchamplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Haslet, Texas
Trailer: 5.0TA October 2017
Posts: 51
Perspective Please

I need a little perspective on my most recent interaction with ETI. I hope someone can help me.

We signed off our build sheet for a 5.0TA at the end of April. It included a full height cabinet to the right of the door with four shelves in it.

Last week I received an email informing me of a new policy that all shelves must be separated by at least 10 inches, because if they are closer together than that, they are too hard to install. Four shelves would not fit with this new policy.

I asked if they could just install the bottom shelf and let me install the other three.

The reply was: Installing the 1 shelf 10” from the bottom of the cabinet, will not be a problem however, the shelves are custom built as they go, therefore we would not be able to supply the additional 3 shelves. Due to the fact that all our trailers are custom, there might be slight changes in measurements, and if we supply one that is too large or too small it would cause issues for you.

I then asked if they could install three shelves, make a fourth shelf identical to the top one they installed, and let me take responsibility for installing it.

The reply was: We will supply some additional standard items such as additional cabinet doors, hardware etc, however we do not supply any items that are considered custom. Unfortunately, shelves fall into this category.

Three things seem very strange to me:
1. The Build Sheet is a contract that I cannot change without a penalty, but ETI can.
2, They cannot predict the size of shelf that will fit in the cabinet.
3. They will not build a shelf even if I take responsibility for making it fit.

I am sure that from a certain perspective this makes sense. Can anyone help me find it?
__________________

gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmchamplin View Post

I am sure that from a certain perspective this makes sense. Can anyone help me find it?
I guess it would be cold comfort to know that there have been other similar situations. When we walked around the demo 19 I specifically noted and stated that I was happy to see that the water filler was the type that had the locking door. When we picked up our trailer I was disappointed to see that it didn't have the door. I was told the reason was that they're not available anymore. Looks like the RV places didn't get the message because I found some easy enough.

I find your situation disappointing given the reason stated. It's not even as if the part is no longer available. My view is that you have a contract specifying 4 shelves. Too bad for them if it's more difficult and that it'll take a few minutes more to install them. If they don't want to do that anymore in the future then don't allow it in the contract.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that they've taken this stance. Certainly not a good start to a relationship or good customer relations.

Ron
__________________

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,455
I do agree it's bad form to finalize the deal, then change the rules.

Personally, I'd either make and install them all myself, or get the 3, you'll probably find that 3 works out fine anyway. How's the saying go, don't sweat the small stuff?
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Falun- (Populatuon 82), Wisconsin
Trailer: 2013 - 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe.---
Posts: 917
I understand that the shelves are cut to fit a particular trailer.
I also understand the issue with the shelves being to small
What I don't understand is the issue with the shelves being too large.
If ETI furnished the shelves and they were too large , the customer could cut them to fit plus the shelf finish would match the cabinets.
Seem a rather arbitrary rule to me but then what do I know.
__________________
The Wisconsin Troll
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:38 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
advenas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Posts: 217
I made a visit to ETI before I entered an order for my 17B which I took delivery of in March of this year. I had lots of questions such as putting in a custom sink, changing the stove to a flush, etc. And there were a lot of "no" answers (as well as "yes"). And the reason for some of the "no" answers was because they are trying to standardize some of their processes. It was probably much easier to accommodate the many requests for changes when they were a smaller company. However, the demand for their product has grown and so has ETI...in a good way I might add. I got my trailer and I love it. Your request doesn't feel odd to me...but the answer might fall into the category of "standardization" if I read it right.
__________________
Rick
advenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:58 PM   #6
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 12,832
In the grand scheme of things, if that is the only issue you have with a close to $40K purchase, I'd be happy. Some things you can do yourself after delivery.
__________________
Jim
I am too young to feel this damn old!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
In the grand scheme of things, if that is the only issue you have with a close to $40K purchase, I'd be happy. Some things you can do yourself after delivery.
That could include cutting a shelf supplied uninstalled to fit. That's the aspect I really don't understand in this situation.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #8
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 12,832
I'm sure they would provide a piece of uncut shelf wood for a price that one could cut later? Anyone check on that option? I had Escape provide me with some scrap paneling, which they did at no charge.
__________________
Jim
I am too young to feel this damn old!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Cypherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dover, Delaware
Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Posts: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm sure they would provide a piece of uncut shelf wood for a price that one could cut later? Anyone check on that option? I had Escape provide me with some scrap paneling, which they did at no charge.

"The reply was: We will supply some additional standard items such as additional cabinet doors, hardware etc, however we do not supply any items that are considered custom. Unfortunately, shelves fall into this category."

Cypher
__________________
Veritas Lux Mea
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Cypherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dover, Delaware
Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Posts: 570
A Contract Is A Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmchamplin View Post
I need a little perspective on my most recent interaction with ETI. I hope someone can help me.

We signed off our build sheet for a 5.0TA at the end of April. It included a full height cabinet to the right of the door with four shelves in it.

Last week I received an email informing me of a new policy that all shelves must be separated by at least 10 inches, because if they are closer together than that, they are too hard to install. Four shelves would not fit with this new policy.

I asked if they could just install the bottom shelf and let me install the other three.

The reply was: Installing the 1 shelf 10 from the bottom of the cabinet, will not be a problem however, the shelves are custom built as they go, therefore we would not be able to supply the additional 3 shelves. Due to the fact that all our trailers are custom, there might be slight changes in measurements, and if we supply one that is too large or too small it would cause issues for you.

I then asked if they could install three shelves, make a fourth shelf identical to the top one they installed, and let me take responsibility for installing it.

The reply was: We will supply some additional standard items such as additional cabinet doors, hardware etc, however we do not supply any items that are considered custom. Unfortunately, shelves fall into this category.

Three things seem very strange to me:
1. The Build Sheet is a contract that I cannot change without a penalty, but ETI can.
2, They cannot predict the size of shelf that will fit in the cabinet.
3. They will not build a shelf even if I take responsibility for making it fit.

I am sure that from a certain perspective this makes sense. Can anyone help me find it?
I did not buy my Escape new, with that said the issue as it appears to me is failure to meet a contract specification. I understand ETI's need to standardize some things to make manufacturing more streamlined. However, if you wish to stop doing or allowing things stop it , but you must if you have already accepted money and signed the contract follow through with the agreed upon items.

I can understand the not being able to predict the shelf size as the shells and other things vary to a certain extent. They do know the shelves can't be beyond a certain dimension based on the initial shelving frame dimensions. They could make them to the largest size thereby allowing the customer to cut down and install them on their own should be willing to so. As for the dimension height of 10 inches that would be dictated by the tools used to install them air nailer, screw guns etc .

Personally I would request a refund of the charges and request they just build the shelf frame and trim it . They use mainly oak and it would not be hard to match the stain they use or ignore the stain and paint the shelves you install a solid color of your choosing to match something in the trailer.

ETI knows they can change what they will and won't do at their leisure since, they are one of the only companies that will do custom touches regardless of the type of trailer. In the overall picture they make a very nice trailer for a very nice price .. Could some of the hardware and other items quality level be brought up yes but that would also increase the cost of the trailer so it is a damned if you do and damned if you don't dance.

Cypher
__________________

__________________
Veritas Lux Mea
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.