Price of Escape trailer - is it negotiable? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #1

Trailer: None yet
Price of Escape trailer - is it negotiable?

The title says it all - are those prices I see on their web a negotiable price or is it non-negotiable? Anyone with experience purchasing their trailers?
yhbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Never occurred to me to ask, given how far they go to fulfill my requests.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I doubt it -- 4 years on this forum, and the topic's never come up.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Negotiation happens because of competition. Escape doesn't have any competition. Yes, there are other all molded trailer manufacturers but none exactly like Escape. If you don't like the selling price at one car dealership you can threaten to drive across town and buy elsewhere. That doesn't happen with all molded manufacturers because none use dealers; all trailers are sold manufactured direct to customers.

You may be able to negotiate based on options or what you don't want in a spec trailer (for instance, maybe you don't want the awning or A/C). But, there will be a base price and I don't believe that's negotiable.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #5

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
That's a interesting point , there are many things the that its assumed the price will be negotiated , trailers are usually one of them. However when we bought ours it just didn't seem like it was negotiable and I was so happy with the service that I didn't ask
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Right now Escape has several trailers listed on their website, already built, ready for delivery. Possibly you may have some wiggle room with those, but on one being made, I doubt it. Reace will occasionally not charge you for an option, but that seems to be in the process, the stated price is stated.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
You can always ask.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #8

Yes, and please let us know the results!!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I didn't negotiate on the price, when I asked Reace how much the labor was going to cost to add a cell antenna & amplifier and a back up camera to the trailer (I supplied the items), he said since I also ordered almost every option they offered, the would be no cost for my additions.

Another advantage of not pushing for the best deal possible is it allows Escape to offer what must be the best service I've ever seen. Reace brought parts to repair my refrigerator to a rally, spent a couple of hours at Chilliwack fixing a problem caused by another dealers "repair" at no cost, in short, the trailer is well worth the list price (which happens to be less now than in 2011 when I bought mine!)
Old 03-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am a huge proponent of negotiating cost where I know there is room for it. It did not even enter my thoughts with Reace, as I knew from dealing with him that he was a very fair guy. He offered a price (and a smokingly good introductory one at that), and I accepted.

Doing custom home building and renovations, I will never negotiate on a cost. If you want a price change, you change the scope of work. I am very fair with my pricing, often favouring the customer, and will not take money out of my pocket to give to the customer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Reace and Tammy also change prices if their suppliers change price because of amount of units bought, case in point is the solar panel--it used to be $1,000 and because they ordered so many or changed suppliers the price has now dropped to $850...They got a saving so they passed it on to their customers...

And the little "extra" in repairs when you have an issue...many times Reace does little "tweaks" at rallies..

You certainly can't beat the customer service you get from Escape...
Old 03-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Here's another hint. When was the last time you saw any all molded towables advertised on TV, with the words "we won't be undersold."

Just saw one for stickies. Oh wait, I can probably buy one of those 20 different places in Portland, Oregon alone
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B
Did not even cross my mind to haggle with Tammy and Reace, given what they all do to get a really special trailer built! In contrast I surely enough haggled heavily when buying my 4Runner in 2002 (had good leverage since they already had the 2003 models out), and also recently again when buying my Massey Ferguson tractor.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
Gharms you could order during NOV and DEC to get a winter discount for your next trailer. No other Fiberglass Trailer MFG haggle. The price is the price. Fiberglass is in demand and the supply is low.
Chuck
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #15

Currently 8 new Escapes are listed for sale here, all with prices. Check them out.
Escape RVs for Sale and Wanted - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Old 04-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
After giving this some thought after committing to my purchase of a 19' and visiting with Rease, my response would be: "I hope he and Tammy don't begin negotiating prices." What causes more suspicion and distrust in the car-buying process? Negotiations over price, that's what. Once the consumer has any level of doubt in the purchase of anything, trust and confidence in the seller decline. That is counterintuitive to a sound business model. As long as I know we all pay the same price I know that"you" didn't do better than me. If I thought you did, I would hesitate on my purchase until I was confident that I could "beat" your price. It's an endless spiral downward for everyone. When the value of their product doesn't beat the overall market, their business will decline. As long as they balance that ratio, they'll remain in business and profitable.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #17

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Those are very good points Zardoz. I have worked at car dealers my whole working life and watching the "game" of car deals is painfull to say the least.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #18

Trailer: None yet
Just to be clear - my original intention was to find out the true cost of the trailer. Doesn't matter if the trailer is negotiable or not - at the end, I'm only interested in knowing the final cost to the consumer so that I can compare apples to apples.

Even at listed prices, I do think the Escape trailers are of very good value, hence are one of the front running candidates...
yhbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #19

Trailer: 17
I don't know how you define worth but for me a lot is unseen. You don't get a salesperson when you call Reace and Tammy. They are not secretive. Have been an open book for years on how their product is constructed and if their wholesale prices go up or down. Either way, up or down, they share it with us. The forums have asked just about every detail on how they are made and they take the time to answer as shown in the archives.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
It's a tough call. You can get a stick built trailer with the same basic functionality for a whole lot less money. How do you account for longevity, build quality, customer service, etc, in determining value (as opposed to cost)?

Before we pulled the trigger and put our cheque in the mail we took one last run around the local "normal" RV dealerships to see what they had to offer. Yeah, there's some good looking stuff there, but in end Escape won out.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote