Q’s about 21’ build/options for table, window, bed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Q’s about 21’ build/options for table, window, bed

Hi! We are still researching options on the 21‘. I have a question about the U-shaped dinette and what table is best.

This probably has been asked about somewhere, but after spending several hours, I can’t find answers. Maybe someone can help?

1. What kind of table is best to accommodate the U-shaped dinette? But the second part of this table has to do with accessibility.

What kind of table gives the most and easiest access in and out of the dinette seats?

We had a Springfield table in the 19 and liked it, except for the fat pedestal that seemed to get in the way of our feet.

So, what are the best options for us?

2. Second question is probably silly, but we don’t have definite understanding of the window situation on the driver’s side, especially by the bed.

Is there a window located here, or is that an option? If it’s located here as “standard”, what does it mean to get an extra window on this side? Where is it located?

3. Third, has anyone tried to make a seat, sofa, or “daybed” out of the bed during the day? If so, would you mind sharing the configuration and what kind of materials you used?

I’d appreciate any advice and input. Thanking you in advance!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The table is smaller if you get the "U" option by about 1/3 and it slides side to side for ease of access. There is a large window on the street or driver side of the bed and an optional small window over the 2 drawer "nightstand" as I call it at the foot of the bed. It is the same size as the bath window and is not thermal if you get the awning thermal package. The front optional window is off center and not thermal, but you loose the interior shelf over the bed with that option.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Addie,

We have the u -shaped dinette in our 21 and asked ETI to have their standard tabletop for it cut into two sections : one 18” wide section became our table that ETI then installed on the Springfield pedestal that we brought with it us to Orientation. The other section of the table we store under the mattress and take it out only when we want to use the dinette as a bed.

The smaller size table combined with the swivel capabilities of the Springfield pedestal gives us real easy access in and out of the dinette seats.

On our build sheet, we also asked for two more cushions to be made. One 18” one for covering the tabletop and turning it into a lounge. And the other, (12” wide) cushion for covering the stored part of the tabletop used when converting the dinette into a bed.

When the table is set up up like a lounge, the extra 12” cushion not needed in the dinette area, is placed on our bed as a back support against the sidewall so that our bed functions better for daytime lounging. When the table is up and in place, it’s extra wider cushion is used on the bed the same way.
Attached Thumbnails
68D841EA-59C1-49AE-9304-049D8B3823AF.jpg   EBFFF55B-B815-4873-AC49-17E77757CB14.jpg   DD4F819B-BC99-4EC0-8D3E-CB4B671CA6F1.jpeg   BA6A3404-F7E2-40A6-A238-03CB614E0A79.jpg  
Old 09-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
I forgot to show our table top set up in lounge mode
Attached Thumbnails
C292B586-7542-4BF8-BF12-C795A1D2EA33.jpg  
Old 09-20-2019, 05:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
My unit is still on order but...

I'm getting the regular dinette to have the larger table.

I plan on having a Lagun table mount installed so I have nothing on the floor near my feet and I can swing the table to wherever I want it.

Also on my build sheet is the extra closet, so no option for the extra window that I don't need.

I'm having the bed made into an extra long twin so that I can better reach the upper storage cabinets as well as use the bed as a couch. If I need a larger bed I can convert the dinette.

AND... last but not least, I am having the wall between the bedroom and the bath reinforced so that I can eventually put a drop down table top there.

I LOVE Escape for letting me customize my new portable home/office.

PS Don't even get me started on my fancy sink and potty.

: )
Old 09-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gori View Post
My unit is still on order but...

I'm getting the regular dinette to have the larger table.

I plan on having a Lagun table mount installed so I have nothing on the floor near my feet and I can swing the table to wherever I want it.

Also on my build sheet is the extra closet, so no option for the extra window that I don't need.

I'm having the bed made into an extra long twin so that I can better reach the upper storage cabinets as well as use the bed as a couch. If I need a larger bed I can convert the dinette.

AND... last but not least, I am having the wall between the bedroom and the bath reinforced so that I can eventually put a drop down table top there.

PS Don't even get me started on my fancy sink and potty.

: )
I'd be leary of using a lagun mount on the standard sized table. Most lagun mounts are in "U" dinettes with the smaller table. The stock table in the 21, like the 19 weighs a lot, a lot more than the smaller "u" table. May not work. you may have to choose - larger table or lagun mount. So your bed will not span the window to bath wall? How much of an aisle will you have along the exterior wall?
Old 09-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #7

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gori View Post
I would love to see your final photos with all your custom ideas.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #8

Lightbulb Great ideas!

Hi folks-
Great replies, And so helpful as usual. CPA, thanks for explaining about the windows and the table. You saved me countless hours searching. I was having difficulty researching certain topics, until I finally realized that the search results had them listed by date. So I had to delve further back into the pages or threads for answers.

Gori! can’t wait to see your completed trailer as well. This one is truly customized! Wouldn’t it be nice if they had a futon set up so you could use it either as a twin or pull it out into a full or double? That would solve all of those issues!

Lisa and Peter, your set up is absolutely brilliant! I love what you did with the table, and that’s what we’ve decided to do, too. Your photos helped us see and understand the set up, so I appreciate the effort it took to take and post those...thank you so much!

That set up makes sense for us. If stuck inside during a downpour, I don’t want to be sitting at the table all day in one position. Sitting back, lounging with my feet up sounds much more enjoyable, and healthier for my ankles (which tend to swell now).

Unfortunately, the allure of your colors and custom fabric have caused me to do some more research, however. .
You see, we hadn’t even considered customizing our fabric at all... At least, not until my husband saw the photos of your rig. He loved it! So now, I’m going to try to figure out all that’s needed to do to customize this further.

We just finished renovating our little lake house in Texas to be an Airbnb rental. It was done up in coastal colors, pretty much what you have going on in your Escape. It’s so much prettier than the standard fabric and colors, isn’t it? Both soothing as well as inspiring! So again, we both loved what you did and want to use some of your ideas if you don’t mind.

OK. So if you could please point me in the right direction as far as how to go about customizing our fabric. Would you mind giving me a little push in the right direction and/or some information or links?

Starting off, and if handy, what kind of fabric did you use and from what source? Does ETI tell you the amount of fabric to purchase? Do I need anything else? Like matching color thread, etc.? Or is this in a thread somewhere?

Btw, How did you come up with this fantastic idea? Specifically, cutting the table in half, etc.? I love that you can use the extra cushions to make the regular bed so much more usable. Oh, the possibilities!

Thanks again so very much!
Old 09-20-2019, 09:37 PM   #9

Addie,

My pleasure to help ! Thanks for all your kind words! And feel free to use any ideas that you like!

The idea to split the table in half wasn’t mine. I got it from an Escape owner’s blog (Follow Toto the Camper Trailer & his terrier & human pals.. )

Escape tells you how much fabric to order. You don’t have to worry about providing thread for them. I was lucky and found on eBay for a great price some Brisa ultraleather fabric for the cushions. ( $340 for 19 yards. )
I ordered more than I knew that I would need since I always seem to find uses for extras. ( I forget its exact color name and can’t seem to find its invoice)

For valances and throw pillow, I ordered Sunbrella fabric from outdoorfabric central.com. They sent me a bunch of free samples. I chose Sunbrella Dupione Celeste and Sunbrella Canvas Sky Blue. Lots of people order from Sailrite who ships free to ETI. I had to send them my eBay fabric anyway so I decided to ship them all together.

We’re leaving for Indiana tomorrow and then are heading off to Thomson Causeway for the Mississippi River Rally. It would be our pleasure to help in any way so feel free to PM us when we get back home -or, since you live nearby, to stop over and see ours in person.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:49 PM   #10

Yes, a rally is where you can see just about every option offered on Escapes. In Osoyoos this year there were 185 of us. The Mississippi Rally is centrally located and closer than Osoyoos but will have just about all the Escape models there.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'd be leary of using a lagun mount on the standard sized table. Most lagun mounts are in "U" dinettes with the smaller table. The stock table in the 21, like the 19 weighs a lot, a lot more than the smaller "u" table. May not work. you may have to choose - larger table or lagun mount. So your bed will not span the window to bath wall? How much of an aisle will you have along the exterior wall?
Subtract a twin bed width from the standard bed on the 21'. I'm not really sure of the exact amount, but I'm sure it will be "just right" in Goldie Locks terms.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Hi folks-
Great replies, And so helpful as usual. CPA, thanks for explaining about the windows and the table. You saved me countless hours searching. I was having difficulty researching certain topics, until I finally realized that the search results had them listed by date. So I had to delve further back into the pages or threads for answers.

Gori! can’t wait to see your completed trailer as well. This one is truly customized! Wouldn’t it be nice if they had a futon set up so you could use it either as a twin or pull it out into a full or double? That would solve all of those issues!

Lisa and Peter, your set up is absolutely brilliant! I love what you did with the table, and that’s what we’ve decided to do, too. Your photos helped us see and understand the set up, so I appreciate the effort it took to take and post those...thank you so much!

That set up makes sense for us. If stuck inside during a downpour, I don’t want to be sitting at the table all day in one position. Sitting back, lounging with my feet up sounds much more enjoyable, and healthier for my ankles (which tend to swell now).

Unfortunately, the allure of your colors and custom fabric have caused me to do some more research, however. .
You see, we hadn’t even considered customizing our fabric at all... At least, not until my husband saw the photos of your rig. He loved it! So now, I’m going to try to figure out all that’s needed to do to customize this further.

We just finished renovating our little lake house in Texas to be an Airbnb rental. It was done up in coastal colors, pretty much what you have going on in your Escape. It’s so much prettier than the standard fabric and colors, isn’t it? Both soothing as well as inspiring! So again, we both loved what you did and want to use some of your ideas if you don’t mind.

OK. So if you could please point me in the right direction as far as how to go about customizing our fabric. Would you mind giving me a little push in the right direction and/or some information or links?

Starting off, and if handy, what kind of fabric did you use and from what source? Does ETI tell you the amount of fabric to purchase? Do I need anything else? Like matching color thread, etc.? Or is this in a thread somewhere?

Btw, How did you come up with this fantastic idea? Specifically, cutting the table in half, etc.? I love that you can use the extra cushions to make the regular bed so much more usable. Oh, the possibilities!

Thanks again so very much!
Actually there is a product out there that does just that, with pull out slats for support. It's a mod that I'm considering waaaay down the line.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:18 AM   #13

platform:

https://couchbed.com/collections/cou...table-platform

couchbed:

https://couchbed.com/collections/cou...13634675540003
Old 09-21-2019, 06:38 AM   #14

Some Bigfoot models have that type bed.
I'm just curious as to how it will look since some part of the structure has to span the open space for structural issues, front and rear both need some cross bracing according to Reace.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:47 AM   #15

Quote:
I'm just curious as to how it will look since some part of the structure has to span the open space for structural issues, front and rear both need some cross bracing according to Reace.
So Escape is building our 21' unit with a extra long twin bed instead of the usual size bed. Between the head of the bed and the wall will be a small seat or bedside table. Otherwise there will be an aisleway between the bed and the wall. I've seen something similar that someone had done. It looked good to me. I'm a long way from construction, but I will share any photos.

The couchbed thing is just an option going forward as I suspect that the frame for it could be place over what Escape builds. Love the idea of having a real couch there, or the biggest bed possible. Plus that rack could help with ventilation/air flow. For now all I need is an extra long twin bed in that location.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:53 AM   #16

If you want the biggest bed possible, why not the stock full sized bed, why get a twin and wish for bigger?
Old 09-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #17

Quote:
If you want the biggest bed possible, why not the stock full sized bed, why get a twin and wish for bigger?
I'm having the bed made into an extra long twin so that I can better reach the upper storage cabinets as well as use the bed as a couch. If I need a larger bed I can convert the dinette. I personally would prefer a convertible couch, but initially I would be happiest with a extra long twin for the flexibility of eventually having a convertible couch

platform:

https://couchbed.com/collections/cou...table-platform

couchbed:

https://couchbed.com/collections/cou...13634675540003
Old 09-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #18

Info and Mississippi rally

Have a wonderful time at the rally! And thank you so much for the information and links. I did look up Toto and found the ideas. .. very helpful and inspiring!!

Yep, you’re right down the road from me so I’d love to get together.

Thanks again and enjoy!
Old 09-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #19

Engineering

Quote:

I think something could be made where the platform peaks / folds up in the middle, with structural flat beams behind the peak going to the wall. And the front part ( again, structural beams) being the seat portion. Then all it would take would be to flatten everything out at the end of the day to make the bed.?
Or, have a portion of it, say at the head of the bed, that’s fixed and structural. Then have the futon part that folds at the foot half of the bed as the folding part for a seat and backrest.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #20

This looks very appealing to me too:

https://www.amazon.com/Milliard-Tri-...ustomerReviews