Questions when ordering new? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2017, 09:30 AM   #21

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Perhaps I should be embarrassed to admit this, but from the first build sheet we submitted to ETI on June 2nd of last year to our final signed-off one submitted December 21st, we have a total of 21 build sheets. As it worked then, anyway, once we submitted our first build sheet, it was entered and maintained in their computer system. Every time we thought of something new we wanted to add or decided to delete, we e-mailed our contact person at ETI, they change our build sheet in their system and e-mailed us an updated new copy (a dated pdf file). We kept each build sheet and would compare each time a new one came to make sure what we wanted got changed and at what price. The old build sheets came in handy one time when we added something and we noticed on the new build sheet that the total price went down. We cross-checked against the previous build sheet and discovered that something we had previously ordered had somehow been deleted. We e-mailed them about it, they apologized for their error, added it back and sent us an updated build sheet showing it had been added back. We noticed the price went down another time, questioned it, and were told the cubbyholes near the door that we ordered had become standard, so we were refunded the option cost of the cubbies. It is probably a pain for them, but we viewed it as "a work in progress" and it was good customer service on their end. That was our experience, anyway. (Did anyone do the same and have more than 21 different build sheets when it was all said and done?)
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:55 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Perhaps I should be embarrassed to admit this, but from the first build sheet we submitted to ETI on June 2nd of last year to our final signed-off one submitted December 21st, we have a total of 21 build sheets. As it worked then, anyway, once we submitted our first build sheet, it was entered and maintained in their computer system. Every time we thought of something new we wanted to add or decided to delete, we e-mailed our contact person at ETI, they change our build sheet in their system and e-mailed us an updated new copy (a dated pdf file). We kept each build sheet and would compare each time a new one came to make sure what we wanted got changed and at what price. The old build sheets came in handy one time when we added something and we noticed on the new build sheet that the total price went down. We cross-checked against the previous build sheet and discovered that something we had previously ordered had somehow been deleted. We e-mailed them about it, they apologized for their error, added it back and sent us an updated build sheet showing it had been added back. We noticed the price went down another time, questioned it, and were told the cubbyholes near the door that we ordered had become standard, so we were refunded the option cost of the cubbies. It is probably a pain for them, but we viewed it as "a work in progress" and it was good customer service on their end. That was our experience, anyway. (Did anyone do the same and have more than 21 different build sheets when it was all said and done?)
21 versions of a build sheet sent to ETI sounds a little bit excessive, and probably makes for more work on ETI's end of things than they would want to do on a regular basis. At the other extreme, I made up my mind before submitting my build sheet as to the options that I wanted, and made no changes after the original was submitted (our trailer was quite extensively optioned out as well). Our total number of build sheets was one. I would guess that 2 or 3 versions of a build sheet is probably closer to the norm.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
21 versions of a build sheet sent to ETI sounds a little bit excessive, and probably makes for more work on ETI's end of things than they would want to do on a regular basis. At the other extreme, I made up my mind before submitting my build sheet as to the options that I wanted, and made no changes after the original was submitted (our trailer was quite extensively optioned out as well). Our total number of build sheets was one. I would guess that 2 or 3 versions of a build sheet is probably closer to the norm.
We thought we had done our due diligence, too, and that our first build sheet would be our final build sheet. But that was at a time when ETI was transitioning from 2016 generation 1 models to 2017 generation 2's (one could even order a 2016 Gen 2 for awhile during the transition, and there may have even been a special order 2017 Gen 1), so things were in flux. Little things like location of electrical switches to bigger things like old-style slider windows vs new-style awning. As construction of Gen 2's began, ETI would discover they needed to change something, and that might then affect several other things. Exchange rate was drifting in our favor which opened our budget to adding a few more options than we originally thought we could afford. Wait! You can turn the 2-burner stove top 90 degrees for more counter top space? Sign us up! And here comes another build sheet. Wait! We can get an amber lens on the outside entryway light? Change that! And here comes another build sheet. Maybe we were a pain in the rear. But they always seemed happy to make the changes and ended each e-mail encouraging us to let them know if they can be of any further help. So we let them know. And they were always very helpful. And 21 build sheets later, we got our "perfect to us" trailer.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I would guess that 2 or 3 versions of a build sheet is probably closer to the norm.
We had about 6. And it was all the Forum's fault. [emoji23]

Kinda what we're going through right now with the selects on our new house.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Perhaps I should be embarrassed to admit this, but from the first build sheet we submitted to ETI on June 2nd of last year to our final signed-off one submitted December 21st, we have a total of 21 build sheets.
That makes buying one used and adding the few things it doesn't have sound easier! Just kidding. It's great that ETI provides such wonderful customer service and that you are getting a new trailer configured exactly the way you want.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Perhaps I should be embarrassed to admit this, but from the first build sheet we submitted to ETI on June 2nd of last year to our final signed-off one submitted December 21st, we have a total of 21 build sheet

I think I hit 21, but that was with 3 different Escapes....!!!
Old 10-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
One thing I found out too late, was to inform your sales representative of any options you are interested in right away, so they are initialed on the build sheet. This locks in the price of the option. We waited until we finalized our build sheet to tell our representative of the options we wanted and ended up paying an extra $400 over their cost on our original build sheet.
It's also worth mentioning that some options can be discontinued mid-stream if you don't lock them in. I asked ETI about an off-build sheet option and was quoted a price. A couple weeks later, when I contacted ETI again to order the option, I was informed that since I last contacted them they had decided to stop offering that option, that it was something I could add on my own after taking ownership. So if you decide you want something, lock it in as soon as possible before the price goes up or it goes away altogether. Just saying....
Old 10-04-2017, 01:31 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
It's also worth mentioning that some options can be discontinued mid-stream if you don't lock them in. I asked ETI about an off-build sheet option and was quoted a price. A couple weeks later, when I contacted ETI again to order the option, I was informed that since I last contacted them they had decided to stop offering that option, that it was something I could add on my own after taking ownership. So if you decide you want something, lock it in as soon as possible before the price goes up or it goes away altogether. Just saying....
Not all "Locked In" options stay locked in. I planned on the solar controller being mounted over the refrigerator & had a wire run for a battery monitor to the same location. I found out months later that Escape moved the solar controller to the passenger side bench seat (with no notification).

I asked them to put it back over the refrigerator; they said no. They did let me cancel the battery monitor wire run after signing the final build sheet with no penalty (I only had 12 of them), and refunded the installation $, so I have no major complaints other than sore knees crawling around on the floor to see the solar controller display & turning off & on the inverter...

It pays to check the images on the "It's Friday" thread, and read comments about builds of new trailers to discover what undocumented changes come along.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #29
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Not all "Locked In" options stay locked in. I planned on the solar controller being mounted over the refrigerator & had a wire run for a battery monitor to the same location. I found out months later that Escape moved the solar controller to the passenger side bench seat (with no notification).

I asked them to put it back over the refrigerator; they said no.
This makes no sense ? you mean you have to scrunch down on your knees to scroll though your controller or turn on your inverter ? Why ? what was their reasoning, Cost, Labor, distance from battery ? because if it is I would certainly pay more for the pleasure of it being mounted above the frig next to the tank monitors,it just makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
12-REMOTE SOLAR CONTROLER & INVERTER.jpg  
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I just don't need to look at the Go Power Solar Controller very much and bending over is good for me so I like it under the passenger side bench and near the batteries. I also like to use the USB port on it while sitting there using my iPhone and drinking coffee. I don't have a table there, just a small stooge table on the passenger side wall with the U Shape dinette so it is usually easy to see. Also I have to bend over to see the surge protector module on the driver side dinette wall whenever I am plugged in to shore power.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:54 PM   #31

I think it has more to do with installation, these items should be near the converter and power center, thus moving near them makes sense for the equipment as well as the installer, not necessarily for the operator.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #32
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
I just don't need to look at the Go Power Solar Controller very much and bending over is good for me so I like it under the passenger side bench and near the batteries. I also like to use the USB port on it while sitting there using my iPhone and drinking coffee. I don't have a table there, just a small stooge table on the passenger side wall with the U Shape dinette so it is usually easy to see. Also I have to bend over to see the surge protector module on the driver side dinette wall whenever I am plugged in to shore power.
Hi SFDavis50,
Well it sounds like it works for you and thats great. I like having all monitors and meters in one central location and easily accessible, kinda like Apollo 13.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #33
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think it has more to do with installation, these items should be near the converter and power center, thus moving near them makes sense for the equipment as well as the installer, not necessarily for the operator.
Hi Jim,
Understandable and yes I know ETI is stream lining there production. This is the thing, Installation is a one time deal and materials and labor is a one time price. I for one would gladly pay the price, the only thing I want to bend over for is a nice cool refreshment from my cooler.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:16 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Hi Jim,
Understandable and yes I know ETI is stream lining there production. This is the thing, Installation is a one time deal and materials and labor is a one time price. I for one would gladly pay the price, the only thing I want to bend over for is a nice cool refreshment from my cooler.
Then place your cooler on the floor by the display......makes one to look forward to watching their display..... problem solved!!