Range top or not? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Range Hood or not?

We are building our 5.0TA and plan to get the oven. The question is should I get the Range Hood. The one we tested on a 21 we viewed was useless for light and the fan was noisy. Any experience with how well the fan works? Would you get it again?
Thanks.
phalaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Range top or not?

This is certainly a contentious topic, you will get a wide verity of answers for sure.
We are on our second Escape and use it all the time. Fan is not the quietest but works well and we use it when cooking. Your right about the light but changing it out to an led light makes a huge difference and many have done it.

Cheers
Doug
Old 05-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
We are building our 5.0TA and plan to get the oven. The question is should I get the Range Hood. The one we tested on a 21 we viewed was useless for light and the fan was noisy. Any experience with how well the fan works? Would you get it again?
Thanks.
We have the oven with a range hood. It works quite well at clearing water vapor and cooking smoke/greasy air out of the trailer. Having the range hood helps to keep the walls and ceiling of the trailer cleaner and freer of dirt / grease than would be the case if you relied on windows or the Max fan for your ventilation. The stock range hood blows fairly well, when my fan is on, you can go outside and see that the vent flap is nearly horizontal from the air exiting the trailer. The range hood light is not great, but I find that there is more than enough other lights in the trailer to make up for it, and you could if you choose replace the stock range hood light with an LED lamp as others have done.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I will be deleting it from the next build for sure. I stovetop cook (rarely something greasy), but not enough to warrant the expense. The windows being open and the roof vent on works for me. Also, it's at head height for me, and I have to really watch to avoid my banging head. Plus, it's another piece of plastic to maintain.

YMMV.

PS I believe it could be added after build if desired. Someone will know.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #5

Thanks this helps, we do not cook anything that splatters grease in the trailer (use a old coleman stove outside) but I do like to use the oven a lot.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #6

It is included in the price of the oven option, no discount for leaving it off so that I just need to decide based on cooking habits.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I eliminated it in my 19 and don't miss it. I lean towards a vegan diet in the trailer and don't cook greasy foods. I don't use one at home so don't feel a need for one in the Escape.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:22 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We found the stock fan in the range hood far too loud and ineffective in venting cooking odors. And you're right about the light. If I were having a new Escape built today, I'd still get the range hood, and just do another retrofit with a SAM-1 fan upgrade kit. Super super quiet, and vents about 10 times better than the stock fan. Plus, comes with a built in LED light strip with two levels of light. One for cooking (very bright) and one for a night light (very dim). It's one of my favorite mods on the trailer, and not that hard to do.http://www.fabulousoperatingproducts.com/upgrade-kit

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
It is included in the price of the oven option, no discount for leaving it off so that I just need to decide based on cooking habits.
The hood is actually standard equipment whether or not you get the oven:
The Escape 5.0TA - Features
Quote:
Power Rangehood with light
The option which lists the hood doesn't add the hood, just the stainless steel finish:
The Escape 5.0TA - Options
Quote:
2 or 3 Burner Stainless Steel Stove & Range Hood with Stove Cover
The listing for this optional item isn't very clear, but the standard features list does confirm that you don't need to buy anything optional to have the hood (in black).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #10

Thanks for the information. If we do get it I think we will be getting black to match the oven.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I eliminated the vent on my build sheet. My wife likes to stir fry and would never do that in a trailer. The trailer stove would be for heating water, soups and non greasy stuff. We also make a lot of sandwiches and salads which will suffice for rainy weather eating.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #12

Like that rubber bumper you put on the corner!
Old 05-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Like that rubber bumper you put on the corner!
Yeah, I put one on each corner after my wife got a nasty bump. One other thing I like about the fan upgrade is that you open or close the vent from inside. No need to go outside and flip the little tabs for the vent flap. We also installed the supplied exterior vent (which doesn't yellow over time) but you could also use the stock one.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I reversed the stove and sink, moving the stove closer to the door and overhead fan, eliminated the hood since there is plenty of ventilation between the door, the MaxxFan and kitchen window.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
We find the fan noisy, but effective. if we stand outside when the the fan is in use, the force of the fan is impressive. We use it whenever the stove is in use to remove vapor, steam or otherwise. We clip the vent open whenever we are camping for an extra, rain-safe ventilation point.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
If you're ever sitting sideways on the bench looking towards the counter and someone lifts the lid off a pot you'd never again debate whether to have a range vent or not. Better still, view it at night. The amount of steam is impressive and its nice to see most of it going out the vent. Who needs extra humidity in a trailer?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:37 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
That steam is also effective at setting off the smoke detector.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Personally, I would not be without one. Their primary function is to evacuate moisture, the bane of any trailer (or household). If you plan to cook inside very much at all, I would highly recommend it. If you have ever cleaned a range hood, you see all the gunk accumulated in it. Doing home renos for a living, I have torn out lots of old range hoods and their ducting, and I can tell you for certain, there is a huge buildup of grime over time. I certainly would not want that on the inside of my trailer, and definitely would not want to use the Maxx Fan to vent it, getting it all grime covered, along with the ceiling along the way.

If you rarely cook inside, it might not be so bad to delete it.

I went the route of not getting one installed as I was thinking of building one and using the SAM-1 upgrade kit. After lots of deliberation, I decided to forgo building one, and go with the sleeker look of a stainless steel one. I liked the Ventline model more than the Heng Escape uses, so bought one and installed the SAM-1 fan. I will be cutting the hole in the trailer and installing it very soon here.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I liked the Ventline model more than the Heng Escape uses, so bought one and installed the SAM-1 fan. I will be cutting the hole in the trailer and installing it very soon here.
I think that's a good call Jim. Making a stainless range hood is doable, but a hassle. I too like the look of the Ventline vs the Heng. One other advantage - since the SAM-1 is made for the Ventline, no modifications are needed for the wiring or the wiring cover. Plug and play.

I can tell you, once you've used the SAM-1 fan while cooking, you're going to be impressed. Whisper quiet and really moves the air.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I think that's a good call Jim. Making a stainless range hood is doable, but a hassle. I too like the look of the Ventline vs the Heng. One other advantage - since the SAM-1 is made for the Ventline, no modifications are needed for the wiring or the wiring cover. Plug and play.

I can tell you, once you've used the SAM-1 fan while cooking, you're going to be impressed. Whisper quiet and really moves the air.

I am having to separate some spot welds, the ones that holds the 3x10 boot on. No need to cut that big of hole in the shell.

I did get one can installed today, maybe another tomorrow. Or a backsplash, or.......
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote