Rear dinette in 19' footer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I knew that was coming Donna. The 5er is a perfect floor plan to me....but I just can't give up all my cargo space in the bed of the truck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
And I don't want a bed in a truck at all!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
And I don't want a bed in a truck at all!
Touché, Cathy.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Back to the OP's question: If you think you would like to have the flexibility of converting the rear bed to a rear dinette on some occasions, then consider the cost of the option, be sure ETI will do it, and go for it. It's your trailer, after all - you might start a Thing, once others see how great yours works for you...

Think about where you're going to store the bedding during the daytime (sheets and mattress pad or topper? Or will you use sleeping bags?) Can you stow things under the bench seats when the bed's not made? There are other things also under the benches, although I'm not sure what ETI puts where on a 19.

You're smart to try to envision what you might want BEFORE you complete your build sheet...and I totally agree with the other comments about the back of the trailer being a primo place for a big dinette. Best wishes on your decision!!
Old 05-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post

...and I totally agree with the other comments about the back of the trailer being a primo place for a big dinette. Best wishes on your decision!!
Which of course means that they might do better to get a 21'!
Old 05-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #25

Trailer: 19' - Picking up November 29, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Back to the OP's question: If you think you would like to have the flexibility of converting the rear bed to a rear dinette on some occasions, then consider the cost of the option, be sure ETI will do it, and go for it. It's your trailer, after all - you might start a Thing, once others see how great yours works for you...

Think about where you're going to store the bedding during the daytime (sheets and mattress pad or topper? Or will you use sleeping bags?) Can you stow things under the bench seats when the bed's not made? There are other things also under the benches, although I'm not sure what ETI puts where on a 19.

You're smart to try to envision what you might want BEFORE you complete your build sheet...and I totally agree with the other comments about the back of the trailer being a primo place for a big dinette. Best wishes on your decision!!
Thoughtful suggestions. Thanks. ETI will do it, and the area underneath is already raised 3". It will still be possible, if we don't like the convertible rear dinette, to turn it into a permanent queen size bed just by laying the table down and plopping a 68x80 mattress in there. If we order it as a bed, it will never be a convertible dinette.
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Thoughtful suggestions. Thanks. ETI will do it, and the area underneath is already raised 3". It will still be possible, if we don't like the convertible rear dinette, to turn it into a permanent queen size bed just by laying the table down and plopping a 68x80 mattress in there. If we order it as a bed, it will never be a convertible dinette.
And just out of curiosity, how much are they doing this for?

True, the standard will never be another dinette. If that is what you need, great that they will do it! The reason one buyer had it was not to have two dinettes, I don't think, but because of an unusual sleeping situation.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Smart thinking!! Would love to see pictures of your trailer once it's ready!!
Old 05-20-2017, 10:09 PM   #28

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Just bear in mind that a lowered dinette table with cushions and some type of foam topper will not be as comfortable as a real mattress supported on a rigid platform. If you can't sleep well the point of having a trailer becomes greatly diminished. Plus as others have mentioned you need somewhere to store the foam when you convert back to the dinette during the day. The conversion back and forth gets old fast. Also bear in mind that the mattress is the size of a standard queen (60x80) but I believe the rear corners are cut to match the trailer contour. You also need room for putting on sheets and still have a little air space at the walls (to avoid condensation issues). My point is getting a good fitting and comfortable mattress later may not be as simple as you suggest. I'd be surprised if anyone has plopped a regular replacement in from a mattress store. Likely options are ordering and picking up from ETI, custom mattress maker or a foam bed where you can cut the corners. We inquired with ETI about getting their newer 8" mattress (ours came with 5"). They were going to see if their mattress maker would ship direct but I haven't heard back.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:50 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Rear Dinette

We opted for the rear dinette. Yes, we convert it to a bed each night by lowering the table and moving the mattress topper from the front twin, where it's stored during the day, to the rear. The conversion process takes about 5 min. in the evening and again in the morning. As others have said, "whatever fits your style" and "to each his own".
This meets our style in that neither of us wants to crawl over the other for bathroom needs during the night. As I tend to go to bed early, it's not a big deal for the wife to have the light on at the other end while she sits up reading a book.
It works for us.
And, I think, too, it makes the trailer feel bigger and there is plenty of room for visitors to share meals or play games.
Finally, I added two drawers under the front twin for easier access to storage space. Works great!
Good luck.
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:52 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Just bear in mind that a lowered dinette table with cushions and some type of foam topper will not be as comfortable as a real mattress supported on a rigid platform.
I sleep fine on my front dinette which is made into a (semi-permanent) bed with two 3" memory foam toppers atop the cushions. But other's comfort level may be different.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:33 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I'd be surprised if anyone has plopped a regular replacement in from a mattress store.
Not from a mattress store, but I did buy it online. 8" gel-memory foam, standard queen.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS26EZ3..._1Nrizb6K4P3HQ

The rounded corners in the back aren't a problem, because the corners of the mattress aren't rigid like a conventional one. The gap between the mattress sides and the walls is just slightly less with the memory foam than with the stock mattress. We haven't had any condensation issues yet with this arrangement, but we do leave the small kitchen window open slightly and the fan running on low when we sleep.

The mattress can be cut if we need to, but so far we haven't bothered.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #32

Trailer: 19' - Picking up November 29, 2017
Quote:
And just out of curiosity, how much are they doing this for?

True, the standard will never be another dinette. If that is what you need, great that they will do it! The reason one buyer had it was not to have two dinettes, I don't think, but because of an unusual sleeping situation.
The charge is $400 for regular bench dinette and $600 for U-sharped. This includes table and all hardware.
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19,1987 Bigfoot 17
We opted for the u-shaped convertible rear dinette in our 19 and like the arrangement quite a lot. It really makes the trailer feel more spacious compared to those we've seen with the standard arrangement.

In the beginning it was a bit of a three-ring circus converting the bed, but we soon got a system down and now it takes just a few minutes. We usually use sleeping bags, putting the thickest one on the bottom and a thinner one on the top (or vice-versa if the weather is really cold). In the morning we just roll the two bags up together along their long edges like a giant burrito and wedge the roll between the table and the back seat. The roll provides a nice bolster to lean against when sitting lengthwise on the side benches. If company is coming we roll the bags separately and store them under one of the side benches. When not in the bed configuration, it's pretty easy to lift up the seat tops to access the storage under the benches. Sometimes, if we're feeling lazy we leave the dinette in the bed configuration.

Since both my husband and I prefer a firm mattress, sleeping on the convertible dinette cushions is not a problem for us. Personally, I feel that in a small trailer having a permanent bed is a waste of valuable space. I've also observed that, being a large, flat, easily available surface, a bed often becomes a landing place for all sorts of stuff - grocery bags, day packs, jackets, dirty socks, hats, scarves, gloves, cameras, purses, keys, magazines, towels, etc., etc.

We find hanging out in our "lounge" is a lot more comfortable than trying to do the same thing in the front dinette. We also like having two tables which effectively doubles our counter or working space. That comes in handy when preparing meals, working on the laptop, or spreading out maps for route planning. It means two people can do two entirely different tasks and not get in each other's way.

We bought a Springfield pedestal for our rear dinette (and I wish we'd gone ahead and gotten one for the front dinette too). This makes raising and lowering the table really easy. I've always hated those wobbly,cranky, hard to store RV table pedestals.The table also swivels so we usually leave it oriented lengthwise relative to the trailer (long side of the table parallel to the side benches) and this means that it's also really easy to access the overhead cupboards in the rear of the trailer - no crawling up on the bed and an awkward reach.

Everyone will have different wants and needs for their trailer but the more you can think it through before you buy, the better. We came to our 19 with a pretty long history of RVing so we had a good idea as to what we considered essential and what was optional. So far we've not been disappointed!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:59 PM   #34

Quote:
The charge is $400 for regular bench dinette and $600 for U-sharped. This includes table and all hardware.
That is good for others to know who are interested.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #35

That is an interesting take on it to say that a bed is wasted space. Many come from smaller trailers so that their interest is in having a permanent bed and permanent dinette, and no need to make a dinette into a bed. Yes, your two dinettes would certainly seem more spacious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
We opted for the u-shaped convertible rear dinette in our 19 and like the arrangement quite a lot. It really makes the trailer feel more spacious compared to those we've seen with the standard arrangement.

In the beginning it was a bit of a three-ring circus converting the bed, but we soon got a system down and now it takes just a few minutes. We usually use sleeping bags, putting the thickest one on the bottom and a thinner one on the top (or vice-versa if the weather is really cold). In the morning we just roll the two bags up together along their long edges like a giant burrito and wedge the roll between the table and the back seat. The roll provides a nice bolster to lean against when sitting lengthwise on the side benches. If company is coming we roll the bags separately and store them under one of the side benches. When not in the bed configuration, it's pretty easy to lift up the seat tops to access the storage under the benches. Sometimes, if we're feeling lazy we leave the dinette in the bed configuration.

Since both my husband and I prefer a firm mattress, sleeping on the convertible dinette cushions is not a problem for us. Personally, I feel that in a small trailer having a permanent bed is a waste of valuable space. I've also observed that, being a large, flat, easily available surface, a bed often becomes a landing place for all sorts of stuff - grocery bags, day packs, jackets, dirty socks, hats, scarves, gloves, cameras, purses, keys, magazines, towels, etc., etc.

We find hanging out in our "lounge" is a lot more comfortable than trying to do the same thing in the front dinette. We also like having two tables which effectively doubles our counter or working space. That comes in handy when preparing meals, working on the laptop, or spreading out maps for route planning. It means two people can do two entirely different tasks and not get in each other's way.

We bought a Springfield pedestal for our rear dinette (and I wish we'd gone ahead and gotten one for the front dinette too). This makes raising and lowering the table really easy. I've always hated those wobbly,cranky, hard to store RV table pedestals.The table also swivels so we usually leave it oriented lengthwise relative to the trailer (long side of the table parallel to the side benches) and this means that it's also really easy to access the overhead cupboards in the rear of the trailer - no crawling up on the bed and an awkward reach.

Everyone will have different wants and needs for their trailer but the more you can think it through before you buy, the better. We came to our 19 with a pretty long history of RVing so we had a good idea as to what we considered essential and what was optional. So far we've not been disappointed!
Old 05-22-2017, 06:19 PM   #36

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
two reasons I like the permanent bed in my 19

1. I'm really lazy and don't like doing the conversion every morning and night. Particularly after a couple of bottles of wine around the campfire.
2. I love the storage space under the bed.

To each his own.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:27 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'm with you Hugh. When we have someone traveling with us, it's a pain to just make up and tear down the front dinette into a bed. I certainly don't want to have to do it when it's just the two of us.

Besides, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, there's no comparison in comfort level between upholstery cushions and a good mattress, especially as these bones get older.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #38

Ironically, our 19', being one of the earlier with no mattress was more comfortable to me than our 21' with the mattress. But have to agree that I certainly would not want to sleep on those cushions!! vs. either one of the real beds.

As I recall, the 19' had foam of about 6" depth, and a topper of another 3" or so bought by someone else so not sure what that was, and another great topper we bought of latex. Now we have the mattress and the latex topper in the 21' and I don't think that they are quite as comfortable as our 19'.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:23 PM   #39

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Ironically, our 19', being one of the earlier with no mattress was more comfortable to me than our 21' with the mattress. But have to agree that I certainly would not want to sleep on those cushions!! vs. either one of the real beds.

As I recall, the 19' had foam of about 6" depth, and a topper of another 3" or so bought by someone else so not sure what that was, and another great topper we bought of latex. Now we have the mattress and the latex topper in the 21' and I don't think that they are quite as comfortable as our 19'.

You might want to consider the Ikea slated base mod. I did it and it greatly improved the comfort of the mattress. Here is a link:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...19-a-9267.html
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:30 AM   #40

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Also bear in mind that the mattress is the size of a standard queen (60x80) but I believe the rear corners are cut to match the trailer contour. You also need room for putting on sheets and still have a little air space at the walls (to avoid condensation issues). My point is getting a good fitting and comfortable mattress later may not be as simple as you suggest. I'd be surprised if anyone has plopped a regular replacement in from a mattress store.
I stand corrected. We tried a standard coil spring queen mattress in the trailer yesterday and it actually fits fine. The back corners of the trailer are not as rounded as I envisioned (like a Scamp). It is snug right at the corners but there is a little bit of airspace along the sides and back. Worth considering if someone needs a particular type of mattress and the one from ETI isn't fitting the bill.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote