Reinforced Walls - Good Idea? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2019, 11:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Reinforced Walls - Good Idea?

The attached document shows the places in a 5.0TA where the factory will install reinforced walls. The price for each is $100CDN and weighs 25 pounds.

Any opinions out there about which of the locations are worth the cost and weight?

Locations:

- kitchen/dinette wall
- fridge/dinette wall
- fridge/microwave cabinet wall
- microwave cabinet/bathroom wall
- bathroom/door side wall
- bathroom/wardrobe wall
- entry drawer/door wall
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5.0TA, Standard Locations, Wall Reinforcement.pdf (620.0 KB, 167 views)
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:59 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
First off, I was not concerned with the weight, my truck could care less about another 100 lbs. I went with 5 reinforced walls just in case I wanted to mount something heavy. After 5 years I've only used the bathroom/door side wall and the fridge/dinette wall, your choices will of course vary from mine.

On my trailer I did the side of the upper cabinet, #6, when I decided to mount the solar controller there. It is single wall in mine so it was simple to glue some 3/4" to the back of it.

For me, paying to have the walls reinforced was the right choice as I had the trailer delivered and could not have ETI month items on the walls for me at pick up.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:02 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Unless you plan on hanging some heavy items, finding the interior studs around the edges is relatively easy.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:01 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We don’t have any , wish we did
Where we want to mount stuff the studs ain’t
If the few extra pounds from reinforcing the walls puts you over your TV’s limits then you got much bigger problems
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I opted to not get any, and have had no issues with that decision. For the most part there is enough framing to gain you support you need. I did add a wee bit on the side of the fridge cabinet for a TV mount that we have use once in 3 years.

No harm in getting them if you want them, but for me the issue was weight as my trailer loaded is right near the weight limit, plus I really don't think they are needed unless you plan to hang heavy stuff on walls..
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:13 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We got the bathroom wall next to the bath door (location 5 on the chart) reinforced so we would have the option of hanging things anywhere on that large wall area later. We found that 3M Command hooks worked wall for our hanging needs with no screw mounting required, but decided that a hand rail on that wall would be helpful to grab when coming down the stairs in the middle of the night. Having the wall reinforced made it very easy to do that.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Here's where we mounted a handrail on the bathroom wall, makes coming down the stairs in the dark easier with something to grab. Having that wall reinforced makes it easy to add....without the reinforcement it would be hard to get something solidly mounted there. We also added a small handhold on the corner of that wall higher up, facing the bedroom - that one screws into the framing in the corner of the wall.

We are able to handle the stairs up and down pretty easily at this point, although that may not always be the case. But in the dark, when there are cats on the steps, that's a different matter and having something to grab when you realize you're about to step on a cat is a big help!
Attached Thumbnails
Handrails.jpg  
Old 11-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 17B; 2011 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I opted to not get any, and have had no issues with that decision. For the most part there is enough framing to gain you support you need. I did add a wee bit on the side of the fridge cabinet for a TV mount that we have use once in 3 years.
Along this line, seems one could install one's own reinforcement, at least in walls that back onto fridge area - can't one "just" pull the fridge, and add some plywood backing as needed? I'm a newbie, but seems do-able, if really needed after-the-fact.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimie View Post
Along this line, seems one could install one's own reinforcement, at least in walls that back onto fridge area - can't one "just" pull the fridge, and add some plywood backing as needed? I'm a newbie, but seems do-able, if really needed after-the-fact.
That's correct. I pulled my fridge to run some wires to readouts above the fridge, and installed a three-quarter inch plywood block on the wall at the same time. Easy peasy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That's correct. I pulled my fridge to run some wires to readouts above the fridge, and installed a three-quarter inch plywood block on the wall at the same time. Easy peasy.
Good to know, thanks - what I don't know is what your baseline of "easy peasy" is!
Old 11-11-2019, 07:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I think that you'd be safe in translating Jim's " easy peasy" into moderately difficult for the average person.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:25 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Make it easy on yourself and get reenforced walls . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I think that you'd be safe in translating Jim's " easy peasy" into moderately difficult for the average person.
Yeah, I had a feeling that might be the case --

Ah, well, I didn't get the walls reinforced in my little 17B, so - will figure out what (if anything) I need, as time goes by...

I forgot to have ETI install two Umbra hook sets when I picked up the rig in October - I was so excited, they totally slipped my mind. So - have a little bit of figuring to do.

Fun stuff, no sweat!
Old 11-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Mimi, I have a 2018 17a and can measure the locations I have umbra hooks when I get home on Monday. I have hooks on right side at entry, on the dinette side of the refrig cabinet, and on what would be for you the front bathroom wall—though for your model b you might check w someone else as I have the tall wardrobes cabinet there. I also had the refrig wall at entry left reinforced and put an extra handhold there for added safety on entry/exit.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
3M Command hooks let you change your mind.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimie View Post
Yeah, I had a feeling that might be the case --

Ah, well, I didn't get the walls reinforced in my little 17B, so - will figure out what (if anything) I need, as time goes by...

I forgot to have ETI install two Umbra hook sets when I picked up the rig in October - I was so excited, they totally slipped my mind. So - have a little bit of figuring to do.

Fun stuff, no sweat!
I didn't get reinforced walls in either of my Escapes. No problem hanging things like the TV etc. As Jim said, there is framing there, you just have to take a minute to figure out how to work with what you have.

I see reinforced walls as one of the many items where one person says I need one or two for this or that and then people start thinking, Oh, I better get all my walls reinforced just to be sure. To each their own, but I don't unnecessarily add weight unless I have to.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Mimi, I have a 2018 17a and can measure the locations I have umbra hooks when I get home on Monday. I have hooks on right side at entry, on the dinette side of the refrig cabinet, and on what would be for you the front bathroom wall—though for your model b you might check w someone else as I have the tall wardrobes cabinet there. I also had the refrig wall at entry left reinforced and put an extra handhold there for added safety on entry/exit.
So thoughtful of you, thanks! I'll take any info I can get, realizing that it may not be completely relevant to my own rig.

I'm also pretty good at tapping out possible hidden structural 'timbers' (the latter said a bit tongue in cheek, given the light weight of all structural elements in these sweet little trailers )
Old 11-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
I wouldn't downplay the weight as it was certainly a factor in our choice. If it really is 25 lbs per, you could add 175 lbs to the trailer which is directly removed from your cargo carrying capacity. Thats a lot of beer! If you are strictly a short weekender maybe the weight is never an issue, but packing for longer trips in cool weather, food and clothes can add up.

We did 5 & 6 and haven't used either one yet. We screwed into the framing on wall 6.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
A few reenforced walls will not make a difference . Better to not carry a bunch of unnecessary items you really can do without . A place like your closet you can always just add a backer board if that is the wall you might need reenforced . Can also do the same , the refrigerator walls too , if you are capable to remove refrigerator. I have done it for other reasons . But I understand some would not be able too . So I would definitely reenforce a few walls especially for tv ‘s or heavy items . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:57 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (May 2015)
Send a message via Skype™ to HappyCampers
I wish we had the walls reinforces. To aid coming down from the bed area I installed and hand grab. Just barely enough wall stud to get some screws in, but would have felt better with a whole wall of thicker plywood.

My other concerns were that I thought at some time I would literally kick something, by accident, and put my foot through a wall. Mostly around the step area. So, just in case, I went in with pieces of wood, cut to fit, and glued them into place. Now I fear less about accidentally punching through, and I know that there is more support weightwise. After all, the framing is pretty light weight stuff, about 3/4 inch wide by 1.5 inches.

And in the areas around the bath, you know you sometimes loose your balance taking off socks, etc, and lean into a wall.

In the area around the dinette I also went behind and reinforce with wood glued between the framing. I weight 215 lbs and sit there a lot. Again the framing is pretty light weight, and what I added did not really change the weight of the trailer, but I feel better than the area will support my weight.