Reinforced walls on a 19' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2015, 10:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 85 Bigfoot F20 5th Wheel
Reinforced walls on a 19'

Still working hard on our build sheet.
Is it necessary and if so, which ones?
dalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
This is one of those things that only you can decide for certain. Reinforced walls are handy, but not strictly necessary, to create attachment points for future modifications. They do add weight, but I don't really consider it significant on a tandem axle trailer.

Is there something you want that actually requires reinforcement? Maybe a TV mount or some such? Obviously in that case, you need the reinforcement.

Are you the type to add shelves and hangers and such after the fact? If so, it might be worth considering doing some "on spec".

On the other hand, I didn't get reinforced walls (bought ours off the lot, so didn't get to specify these sorts of options) and I haven't had any troubles finding good attachment points for the shelves and hooks I've added.

As to where: where ever you might need a strong attachment point. Obvious places to consider: head and foot of the bed, front face of bathroom wall, dinette face of bathroom wall. Another good candidate: side of kitchen cabinet by the door.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I agree with Doug. May not be necessary. You can reinforce a certain wall if you want to hang something heavy on it - like a TV mount. We reinforced wall 6 and wall 2 (the driver side wall to the right of the bathroom and the driver side wall to the left of the Fridge) because we intended to hang a TV mount and other heavier items from them. Otherwise, not necessary. Remember that the reinforcement consists of pretty thick plywood - and plywood is heavy.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I personally did not see a need to reinforce any walls in ours, especially at $100 per wall. We don't plan on having a TV or anything like that. My wife however did feel like it was necessary. So the end result is $300 for 3 walls. But in the overall scheme of things, a small price to pay to keep her happy
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:19 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Is it really $100/wall? When we did it I'm sure it was $25/wall
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Yep, $100 per wall. I just looked at my build sheet to make sure
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
This is one of those things that only you can decide for certain.
Is there something you want that actually requires reinforcement?
Ditto. Plus there are places where there is solid structure,and has been said, there are other ways to attach things.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Is it really $100/wall? When we did it I'm sure it was $25/wall
Same here . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
For a while more recently, it was $50 for a reinforced wall, then went to $100.

We were told that a TV mount would have to be placed on the edge next to aisle at the dinette where there are presumably studs, no reinforced wall. We were told not to put such mounts anywhere in the middle of those walls.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita
Reinforced Walls

In the 19, is there room on the wall between the stove and bed area to hang anything on the bed side such as small shelves? Will we need to reinforce that wall if there is?

Also, I need a flat place to lay watercolor papers to dry. I am thinking that there might be a way to attach something to the front of the shelf that is over the rock guard window in the front of the trailer so that I could hook on (when I need it) a lightweight wire shelf that would extend out over the table. The watercolor paper is attached to a foam backing, and I don't do large sheets when we travel so the wire shelf would only need to be about a foot wide. Any suggestions on how I could do this, and would the trailer shelf be strong enough to make it work?
Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
In the 19, is there room on the wall between the stove and bed area to hang anything on the bed side such as small shelves? Will we need to reinforce that wall if there is?

Also, I need a flat place to lay watercolor papers to dry. I am thinking that there might be a way to attach something to the front of the shelf that is over the rock guard window in the front of the trailer so that I could hook on (when I need it) a lightweight wire shelf that would extend out over the table. The watercolor paper is attached to a foam backing, and I don't do large sheets when we travel so the wire shelf would only need to be about a foot wide. Any suggestions on how I could do this, and would the trailer shelf be strong enough to make it work?
Hi Trav . I would make all my walls reenforced . 2 walls in bed and both walls in bath .at the least ,the dinette, bath wall and bed frig's wall. As for shelf over dinette , on the other side add piece of ply on other side of shelf about 1/4 in or 3/8 in thick . When you attach to the front of that shelf , your screws will go into the piece of wood you put behind and give what you are attaching support . The screws you use you don't want to be long that they go through to other side of your support wood . If you feel screws will ,you can use wider wood blocks like 3/4 in thick . Hope this makes sence . Also always make sure Escape doesn't have any wiring running where you are screwing through . If you are having your trailer built ask them to reenforce that front piece for you , explaining what you need . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post

I'd probably consider building some kind of drying rack that would go in my tow vehicle and be out of the way in the trailer. Lots of ready made racks that could be retrofitted. You don't list your tow vehicle??
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 19'
Not sure if you mentioned this previously. When our 2014 19' was built we paid for 4 reinforced walls. I found the 'reinforcement' was simply placing additional plywood pieces between the existing pine 1x2" framework and only 2/3 approximately of the upper wall. I intended to mount a few things lower and had to span the wall with aluminum pieces to reach the 1x2" outside frame, or get behind the wall and add wood.

I checked with ETI and, at that time, all the reinforced walls was only the top 2/3rd of the wall.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita
Thanks guys. We currently have a Casita, and we hung a wire shelf from the floor of the cupboard on the back wall to use as a drying shelf.

We tow with a Pilot. It is usually pretty loaded up with stuff that won't fit in the Casita. I know the Escape has more storage, but I expect the Pilot will still be stuffed with clothes boxes, and other camping accoutrement.
Trav is offline   Reply With Quote