Review of RV Cover that Escape sells - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Review of RV Cover that Escape sells

Hi all,

We were looking in Spring for some feedback on the RV cover that Escape sells for the 21, but could not find any on the forum, so here's ours so far:

The cover that we purchased from Escape was the Overdrive by Classic Accessories- it said it was for trailers up to 17 feet, but is in fact a perfect fit for the 21. We winterized our trailer this weekend and put the cover on. The instructions say to climb on the roof of the trailer (we did not given that its fiberglass); we had no trouble putting it on using a couple ladders. We have an A/C unit and other vents on the roof, and while we were mindful of making sure it did not snag, it was not a problem as the fabric seems fairly thick.

The two of us were able to put it on within 15 minutes. It has straps with clips to secure it that go under the trailer and one at the front and the back. The cover also went nicely around the tires as well as the propane tanks in the front. It goes on loosely, but with adjustments, you are able to make it a pretty secure fit. The cover looks decent sitting on the trailer in the driveway. The roof part of the cover is white, while the sides are grey. There is a zipper compartment to allow access to the door of the trailer while the cover is on. We found it to be a good design.

We have had a few days of heavy rain and wind since, and it seems to do a good job of wicking away the rain and has not shifted despite the wind. I checked under the cover today expecting the trailer to be wet after the rain today, but it was dry. We are happy with the cover so far; time will tell in terms of longevity and quality.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
...it said it was for trailers up to 17 feet, but is in fact a perfect fit for the 21.
That’s because the body length of the 21 is 17’-4”.
Thanks for the review. Nice that there is an alternative for those that don’t need or want to spend the cash on a Calmark.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 sold, 21NE on order
Keep an eye on the cover where it goes over the licence plate. We have the cover on our 19 and edge of the licence plate cut through the fabric. We sewed a patch on the cover, and put a piece of pool noodle on the edge of the plate. This seems to be working.

Jack Bouterse
bouterse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouterse View Post
Keep an eye on the cover where it goes over the licence plate. We have the cover on our 19 and edge of the licence plate cut through the fabric. We sewed a patch on the cover, and put a piece of pool noodle on the edge of the plate. This seems to be working.

Jack Bouterse
I took my licence plate off while the cover was on.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i bought one for my 5.0 a bit large but light enough that we could get it on. we used a reacher to assist it over roof top stuff. So far it seems great
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Escape cover and mice

We live in a very rural setting on acreage in Northern NM and field mice are a constant problem. We tried putting our BBQ grill under a cover but the mice figured it was a comfy new home and moved right in. We now leave the grill uncovered and no more problems. In thinking about a cover for our E21, I am wondering about mice and if they will move right in and nest in places under the cover? Perhaps for us in our rural NM setting, uncovered might be a better option? Anyone have any experence with using the cover and mice nesting under it?
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I haven’t used a cover and I live out in the country also. My mice and rat issues were resolved several years ago when I befriended several feral cats since then I haven’t seen a mouse, rats or snakes in 8 yrs . There are now 6 members of my rat patrol as I call them. Neighbors love them too. Took a bit but they are all fixed and when a stray shows up n stays it also gets fixed

As you can see one of them took my tractor from me lol
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
License plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouterse View Post

Jack Bouterse
And this guy knows his license plates
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
768D69DF-F318-4BD8-9E59-0650E7E1922A.jpg  
Old 11-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Cats for mouse patrol

Hey Oldtimer, you must have nicer coyotes at your place than we do at ours. The life expectancy of a cat in our neighborhood numbers in days, if not hours. Wish that was an option.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Mice problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
We live in a very rural setting on acreage in Northern NM and field mice are a constant problem. We tried putting our BBQ grill under a cover but the mice figured it was a comfy new home and moved right in. We now leave the grill uncovered and no more problems. In thinking about a cover for our E21, I am wondering about mice and if they will move right in and nest in places under the cover? Perhaps for us in our rural NM setting, uncovered might be a better option? Anyone have any experence with using the cover and mice nesting under it?
Had a cover over my prior fiberglass sided trailer and mice went right up under the sides of the cover and nested in my air conditioner fan and ducting ( very nasty situation ). Only way to resolve it was to either permanently remove the cover or install 1/8 in. mesh screening behind all the a/c openings. I chose the screening option and solved the problem. I have since purchased a new ETI 5.0 with a cover and have similarly installed screening in the a/c and side refrigerator vents to prevent this from happening again. So far no problems. I don’t think there are any other possible entry points but you have to be aware that with a cover, mice will have easy access to anywhere on your trailer’s exterior. Pest control people say that mice can squeeze through an opening as small as 1/4 in. Leaving a few poison bait boxes underneath the cover will probably help too.

BILL B
BILLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've heard that a study found that cats attract rats, if you feed the cats ( including your own ).
Old 11-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I put food out for my rat patrol but they don’t eat much of it and for the coyotes the ranchers around me keep them away haven’t heard any coyotes in 4 yrs that n my boxer chased them off 80 lbs of protection but if ya pet him he’ll lick you to death lol he’s a big sweetheart
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
The farms and ranches around us used to have cats for rodent patrol, but with the recurring drought conditions in this part of California, the wildlife has moved closer and closer in to civilization (dare I call it that nowadays), so coyotes are common, and cats are not.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We got the same cover (Model 3) for our 19. Only concern for sharp edges was the solar panel so got 2 pool noodles, cut in half lengthwise, cut open a side and slid onto the panel with a bit of overhang. The cover was really easy to put on, but the starting instructions were not good. There was no rolling from the middle to either end, ours was unrolled from one end. Just put on front of trailer and could easily reach from the side on a ladder and rolled it to the back. Sides snugged in well and a couple of straps/clips keep it tight. Had a major wind/rain storm before Christmas and the vents on the top allowed the wind to pass through without severely putting pressure on the cover. So far so good. It does tend to impact the flow of rain water off the roof a bit more so we store the trailer a bit more angled down than we did last year without the cover. Gave the trailer a good wash/wax before covering it so will be good to see how it looks when we uncover it end of Feb.
Attached Thumbnails
2018-11-18 14.39.08.jpg   2018-11-18 14.39.36.jpg   2018-11-25 10.37.08.jpg   2018-11-18 14.39.22a.jpg  
Bbawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We had a Calmark cover for our Casita 17. Once we fixed the slightly open screen window and poisoned the rats (packrats) and mice inside the trailer they moved to the roof. There they used the area above the awning as a group toilet. When we removed the awning and it rained, we had black and brown streaks on the entrance side. Rodents can climb up the inside of a fabric cover and get everywhere. It is better to have no cover than a fabric cover. We built a "portable" garage structure for the Escape. Quanset hut shape with heavy vinyl for the fabric, zippered doors, open access underneath. So far there is no sign of rodent intrusions.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #16

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbawt View Post
We got the same cover (Model 3) for our 19. Only concern for sharp edges was the solar panel so got 2 pool noodles, cut in half lengthwise, cut open a side and slid onto the panel with a bit of overhang. The cover was really easy to put on, but the starting instructions were not good. There was no rolling from the middle to either end, ours was unrolled from one end. Just put on front of trailer and could easily reach from the side on a ladder and rolled it to the back. Sides snugged in well and a couple of straps/clips keep it tight. Had a major wind/rain storm before Christmas and the vents on the top allowed the wind to pass through without severely putting pressure on the cover. So far so good. It does tend to impact the flow of rain water off the roof a bit more so we store the trailer a bit more angled down than we did last year without the cover. Gave the trailer a good wash/wax before covering it so will be good to see how it looks when we uncover it end of Feb.

Does the Escape cover have zippered door access?
Old 01-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 ft
Door Zipper

Yes the cover has zippers to give you access to the door. I have accessed the trailer to check on the dri-zee container. The zipper door access worked well.

Like others have mentioned, we used pool noodles to protect the cover from the sharp edges of the solar panel. The cover has been through a number of significant windstorms with no noticeable movement or issues.

So far so good on our 19 foot. We will have to see how it holds up over a few years use.

Richard.
RTRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:52 PM   #18

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRadio View Post
Yes the cover has zippers to give you access to the door. I have accessed the trailer to check on the dri-zee container. The zipper door access worked well.

Like others have mentioned, we used pool noodles to protect the cover from the sharp edges of the solar panel. The cover has been through a number of significant windstorms with no noticeable movement or issues.

So far so good on our 19 foot. We will have to see how it holds up over a few years use.

Richard.

Thank you!
Old 01-06-2019, 08:15 PM   #19

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Anyone have the mfg. part number for the E-21 Overdrive cover by Classic Accessories that ETI sells? What was the ETI price?
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:08 PM   #20
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
Anyone have the mfg. part number for the E-21 Overdrive cover by Classic Accessories that ETI sells? What was the ETI price?
Eddie
I believe it was about $360CDN... I do not have the model number with me currently, but I tried to comparison shop for it elsewhere, and could not find the specific one anywhere, even on Classic Accessories' website.
If you go to Escape's website, E21, and select options and click on the camera, there is a photo of the cover in the box.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote