Rock guard window and other things to delete - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 17A
Rock guard window and other things to delete

Curious what things other folks deleted from their builds... Right now I am thinking about getting rid of the rock guard window, graphics, and putting in my own shades that are darker for the kids. I didn't ever seem to use the rock guard window on our last trailer, so didn't see a need- anyone else get rid of it? Anything else that a lot of people delete?

Was a little bit surprised that there is no credit to get rid of this window, the graphics, or going manual on the awning... seems like these would all be fairly substantial cost savings

Can't thank everyone enough for all of the great feedback-

Dave
davedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #2

Follow up question... does anyone think it is worth asking for the kitchen window as a substitute for the rock guard window? Seems fair
Old 07-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Cant help you with what to ask Escape. If they are not willing to give you a credit for deleting a window, that is their prerogative.

Deleting windows, especially the bigger windows will make the interior of your trailer substantially darker. Most people go the opposite direction and add additional windows and lights whenever possible.

I like the rock guard window as it makes the front of the trailer bright and cheery when open. I also have the extra window in the kitchen (and in the bathroom). Can't have too much light, or too much fresh air (if they are opening windows).

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I can't imagine my 17B without a front window. We spend a fair amount of time sitting at the front dinette. I figure the trailer is dark enough as is.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #5

We are going to have the queen bed up there, so was thinking that we wouldn't need much extra light up there, but sound like something maybe we should consider keeping
Old 07-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Maybe the hole for the front window is in the mold, so they can't not cut it out.
The kitchen and washroom walls are solid and so a new hole for the optional windows can be cut out.
We tend to not use ours as well. Don't know why. Sometimes my wife remembers that it is there and gets me to open it.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedru View Post
We are going to have the queen bed up there, so was thinking that we wouldn't need much extra light up there, but sound like something maybe we should consider keeping
Are you getting a 17A?
Old 07-27-2017, 01:06 PM   #8

Yep - 17A
Old 07-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Here is a list of all the option (including things you can delete) that I'm aware of:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...0592-2.html#17

I originally had the Rock guard window deleted on my build. ETI charges $200 for that since the window is built into the mold so they need to do the work of filling it in. I originally wanted this because it's the only non-thermal window and I didn't want condensation on the window and frame in cold weather. We also have the bunks and I figured it would be cold up there in winter. My wife convinced me to keep it because the front of the trailer needed to be "cheery". I agree that it's nice to have the light in the front, and nice to save $200. If condensation is an issue in the future, I'll put in insulation in the moving part as described on a different thread, and I'll somehow cover the exterior frame with some kind of material that doesn't conduct heat as well as metal, perhaps a silicone caulk.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:28 PM   #10

Paul - you rock man. I'm in Seattle too, so I owe you a beer.

I'm going to be up at the ski areas a lot in the winter, so non-thermal window is out.

Thanks-
Old 07-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Here's the post about putting insulation in the rock guard window. I think if you did this it would be better insulated than the double pane windows:

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/mods-i-havent-seen-elsewhere-7807-3.html#30

PM me if you want to grab a beer sometime. Can also view our trailer if you want.

Paul
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #12

Great link - thanks Paul. I'll be in touch for sure- would be awesome to check out your rig before my build is due Aug 4
Old 07-27-2017, 04:47 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having owned 2 Escape 19's with thermal package and non thermal front window with guard, I have been using reflectix inside the front cavity since 2012. It is effective in keeping the front window warmer.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:09 PM   #14

Thanks Jim- is that a window you use very much? I'm just going to have a queen bed there which seemed like one more reason I might now use it much... Do you use yours even when you aren't on that side of the trailer?
Old 07-27-2017, 05:12 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It all depends on your campsite, in Maine, on the water, the front had the sunrise and rear had the sunsets, in Osoyoos, the front had the hills and the rear had the vineyards. It opens your horizons, so to speak.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:14 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedru View Post
Dave,
We have a 17A with the permanent bed up front. We have found that we very rarely open the rock guard. And when we do, we close the guard at night for a little extra insulation against cold.
Because in the 17A, all of our awake activities are at the dinette end (which we rarely make up into a bed), we enjoy all the light and ventilation at that end, and at the front bed, there are a couple of smaller windows, one on each side, that provide all the light and ventilation we ever need.
We did get the optional awning window at the sink, and we use it constantly. We love it!!! We leave it slightly open even when it's cold out, because in combination with a slightly open maxxfan vent, we haven't had condensation problems at night.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:18 PM   #17

Thanks Don! Great to hear from a 17A owner.... that REALLY helps. Rock guard window is out, kitchen window is in!

Dave