round trip from Georgia to pick up new 21' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2018, 10:10 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21'
round trip from Georgia to pick up new 21'

Our 21 will be ready in mid-July. We plan to take about a week to drive out from GA, then camp back from Oregon along the Lewis and Clark trail.
I am concerned if we can get all our camping gear in our Highlander for the trip to Chilliwack. Any ideas?

Thanks,
John
Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You can always stop on the way back at Walmart or Camping World to pick up chairs, mats, even pop up shelters or any other bulky items. Sheets, cooking and plastic ware can be bought on the road also.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We followed the same route as Jim suggested .
We knew we could not carry enough stuff to completely stock our new trailer . We brought only the bare essentials with us and bought the other stuff on the way back . IE , We bought disposable paper plates ,bowls, silverware , food ,drinks , misc etc.on the way home
It is surprising how little you can get along with when you try.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Good advice on both of these first two posts especially when it comes to buying disposables and food too. If desperate you could take a hitchauler rack out on the Highlander with loaded tubs and bring it back empty with the tubs then stored in the Highlander or in the Escape. Wash clothes along the way instead of taking enough for the whole trip. Think one or two of each, not multiples when it comes to cooking, plastic silverware is no vice. My motto is “They sell it just up the road.” Your credit cards are very light.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I considered renting a small U-Haul trailer, but it was going to cost me $250. I ended up buying an inexpensive receiver mounted cargo carrier on sale at Harbor Freight for $49. That gave me just enough added capacity to bring everything we wanted for the trip home. After picking up the trailer, I attached the cargo carrier to the trailer’s receiver to get it home. I had planned to sell the cargo carrier when I got home, but on the way home another camper saw it and bought it from me for the same amount I paid for it. But without the U-Haul, I had to pack the back seat using a shoe horn!
Old 02-24-2018, 03:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I easily fit everything in the back of our GMC Acadia for our maiden voyage. We picked up a 19 - one week up and nine weeks back. The only thing we needed to buy on the way home was a couple plastic bins for under the sink and a portable air compressor. We had the advantage of moving up from being tent campers that used backpacking style tents so everything was compact and light. Still haven’t figured out what people put into the front storage box! It’s a lot easier moving up from a tent than down from a larger RV. Due to the time of year, we needed 3 seasons of clothing.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21'
Thank you all for your insights. I have thought about a U-Haul or a hitch rack. We are moving from a Lil Snoozy, so we already have most of our gear, and I don't need to buy a lot more for this trip. I think I will just pack as light as possible. I hope I can find room for our Clam, I hear the mosquitos can be voracious in the summer up north (they are bad enough down here in Ga.).
Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote