RV Locks - Black Friday sale - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2016, 07:27 AM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
I received the lock last Saturday. When I opened the box a red plastic handle fell out. It had been sheared in two. There was no damage to the box so I assume the red handle broke prior to the shipper putting the lock in the box. I emailed RV Lock immediately and included a photo showing the broken handle as well as a loose washer that was floating around in the box. Didn't get a reply so on Tuesday morning I went to their website and used their Contact Us form to report the problem. Still no reply so yesterday afternoon I called the number on the website and the recording said I had reached them after hours. This was in the middle of the afternoon their time. Don't know what's going on but I have a broken lock and so far no response from the vendor.
Hopefully, RV Lock will come through for you. I am generally very careful when ordering merchandise on line or over the phone. I always check to see if the vendor's physical address is listed. If all I see is a contact form and a phone number but no physical address, I will not do business with them, unless a third party (e.g., Amazon) is involved. I did not see an address on RV Lock's website.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:40 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Hopefully, RV Lock will come through for you. I am generally very careful when ordering merchandise on line or over the phone. I always check to see if the vendor's physical address is listed. If all I see is a contact form and a phone number but no physical address, I will not do business with them, unless a third party (e.g., Amazon) is involved. I did not see an address on RV Lock's website.
Luckily, I chose Amazon Pay at checkout so I should be able to get a refund through Amazon. I already started that process. The lock itself looks to be well made. I'm guessing someone dropped the unit prior to packing. The piece that broke is heavy duty plastic. It would take a decent amount of force to shear it.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:41 AM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Time to call your credit card issuer to dispute the charge.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #44

Here's the photo of the damage:

Old 12-08-2016, 08:43 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 19'
I too received a broken lock, the same break of the red handle/lever. I email RV lock with photos on Sun. On Monday I called them to complain and ask if this handle is known to break. Was told that they have had problems in shipping if the unit isn't wrapped in two layers of bubble wrap, which mine wasn't. Was told that they'd ship me a new inside handle, and I have received email confirmation that it has been shipped ,tho I haven't gotten it yet, too soon. So try calling them again. The person I spoke to was very helpful.
PS: I am a little concerned that this red lever might be a weak point in the lock. Hope that is not so!
curru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by curru View Post
I too received a broken lock, the same break of the red handle/lever. I email RV lock with photos on Sun. On Monday I called them to complain and ask if this handle is known to break. Was told that they have had problems in shipping if the unit isn't wrapped in two layers of bubble wrap, which mine wasn't. Was told that they'd ship me a new inside handle, and I have received email confirmation that it has been shipped ,tho I haven't gotten it yet, too soon. So try calling them again. The person I spoke to was very helpful.
PS: I am a little concerned that this red lever might be a weak point in the lock. Hope that is not so!
Yikes, this doesn't sound good. I am concerned about hidden damage too. Did you find a loose washer? I am going for a refund from Amazon. I don't think I want to deal with a company that is so hard to get in contact with.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #47

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd carry my original lock with me in case this is true and it breaks while on the road.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:34 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 19'
I don't have any issue about getting in contact with them. I am concerned about that handle, and think Jim's idea of taking along the original one might be good. I got this lock because it seemed to be more secure than the factory one. Hope this at least is true!
curru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:48 AM   #49

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Bummer!!!

I unwrapped mine immediately after reading these posts. Mine is fine, but it was wrapped in two layers of bubblewrap.

And, Stephen, I put a comment in for your post on their facebook page. Usually a post on a business' fb page will get results, but you shouldn't have had to resort to that.

Their address is on their fb page, but yeah, it should be on their website. I agree with that comment and hadn't noticed it wasn't there before. My business website has my full name and address as I feel that makes me a more responsible business owner.

I feel quite bad about this considering I was the one that posted about their sale.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:04 PM   #50

Just got an email from RV Lock. They are shipping me a Red Lever Kit X 1 comprised of a red lever, a washer and a snap ring. Now I have to see if I can find the old snap ring. Hope it isn't lodged in the mechanism somewhere. I don't mind (too much) doing their repair work and QC but they seriously need to step up their game from a customer service standpoint.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #51

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I too received a broken lock, the same break of the red handle/lever. I email RV lock with photos on Sun. On Monday I called them to complain and ask if this handle is known to break. Was told that they have had problems in shipping if the unit isn't wrapped in two layers of bubble wrap, which mine wasn't.
PS: I am a little concerned that this red lever might be a weak point in the lock.
It's a substantial mass of lock, which means a lot of force on that lever if the whole thing is dropped on the lever. I don't think that has much to do with what happens to the lock while it is installed and in use, so maybe it's not a concern once it is installed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It's a substantial mass of lock, which means a lot of force on that lever if the whole thing is dropped on the lever. I don't think that has much to do with what happens to the lock while it is installed and in use, so maybe it's not a concern once it is installed.
I agree Brian. The lock is substantial and so is the red lever for it's purpose. But that purpose does not include being dropped so once it's installed I don't think there will be a problem.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I got this lock because it seemed to be more secure than the factory one. Hope this at least is true!
Why do you feel this is more secure? I do see the convenience.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #54
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Why do you feel this is more secure? I do see the convenience.
Good point. The bolt is basically the same, whether it's an RVLock, a basic black plastic lock, or my metal FIC lock. One isn't necessarily more secure than the other. When it comes to RV locks, none of them can come close to the security of a home lock for example, mainly because of the door jamb and bolt design.

I'd focus on the convenience and usability aspects instead. From that standpoint, the RVLock seems like a very good option.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
I agree Brian. The lock is substantial and so is the red lever for it's purpose. But that purpose does not include being dropped so once it's installed I don't think there will be a problem.
None of the locks on any Escape are secure, unless Reace has changed the hinge design on the "new" models. All it takes is the proper screw driver and maybe three minutes and the door can be removed, locked or not.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:07 PM   #56

Not the new style doors, the hinges are inaccessible from the outside, so you can not remove the hinge to gain entrance. The hinges are riveted and there are 12 rivets on 3 hinges down the door. Quite solid. These doors come premounted from the manufacturer.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:50 PM   #57
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not the new style doors, the hinges are inaccessible from the outside, so you can not remove the hinge to gain entrance. The hinges are riveted and there are 12 rivets on 3 hinges down the door. Quite solid. These doors come premounted from the manufacturer.
That's the difference. Not the lock. The new door is inherently more secure, regardless of the lock.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So that means when the lock fails, and these locks are prone to fail, one will have a problem gaining access to the inside of the trailer.....
Old 12-08-2016, 04:57 PM   #59

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
So that means when the lock fails, and these locks are prone to fail, one will have a problem gaining access to the inside of the trailer.....
Just use the back door, Silly!

I have never had an RV lock fail on me, though I do take them apart every couple years or so, do a good cleaning, and re-lubricate.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:29 PM   #60

Send a small person thru the hatch into the trailer and open the door.