Scamp or Casita vs Escape discussion - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Scamp or Casita vs Escape discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Yes, and that is too bad! Seeing how many interested people visited the 15, parked behind us at the Boler event....
Intrigued and interested in buying one for themselves are two different things. Surely if ETI was continuing to sell enough of them they wouldn’t have been discontinued. I believe a big factor in ETI’s motivation was getting models produced with more space than Scamp and Casita. If I recall they developed the 19 based on a survey of the desires of the fiberglass community. This strategy seems to have worked well for Escape.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Intrigued and interested in buying one for themselves are two different things. Surely if ETI was continuing to sell enough of them they wouldn’t have been discontinued. I believe a big factor in ETI’s motivation was getting models produced with more space than Scamp and Casita. If I recall they developed the 19 based on a survey of the desires of the fiberglass community. This strategy seems to have worked well for Escape.
Strategic planning. And yes, ETI made the right choices. And I am sure they will continue making the right decisions in the future. The most important feature of ETI is listening to their customers, which sure has paid off!
(According to some Boler owners, entering our 19, we camp in a castle)
Old 12-14-2018, 09:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Note to Ron in BC: I like the drawer hardware on the desk, a nice clean look. Well done.
Thanks. My wife was complaining that she couldn't find any drawer pulls that she liked. So, since I was building everything else .......

I buffed the aluminum and it's still shiny all these years later. Gives a great permanent shine, wish it would last that long on the trailer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
. I believe a big factor in ETI’s motivation was getting models produced with more space than Scamp and Casita. If I recall they developed the 19 based on a survey of the desires of the fiberglass community. This strategy seems to have worked well for Escape.
If you read the Casita Forum there have been several threads speculating about Casita coming out with a 19 or 20 or 21 ft trailer . It appears from reading those threads that the interest in a bigger Casita is pretty strong . If Casita offered a larger trailer when we decided to upgrade from our Casita 17 SD , Casita would have been our first choice .
Escape made a wise decision with their 19 & 21 ft trailers . They saw an opening in the FG trailer market and decided to fill the void .
I realize there is Oliver and Bigfoot but they are at a totally different price point .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
It appears from reading those threads that the interest in a bigger Casita is pretty strong...
...Escape made a wise decision with their 19 & 21 ft trailers . They saw an opening in the FG trailer market and decided to fill the void. I realize there is Oliver and Bigfoot but they are at a totally different price point .
Exactly
Old 12-15-2018, 01:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
If you read the Casita Forum there have been several threads speculating about Casita coming out with a 19 or 20 or 21 ft trailer . It appears from reading those threads that the interest in a bigger Casita is pretty strong . If Casita offered a larger trailer when we decided to upgrade from our Casita 17 SD , Casita would have been our first choice .
Escape made a wise decision with their 19 & 21 ft trailers . They saw an opening in the FG trailer market and decided to fill the void .
I realize there is Oliver and Bigfoot but they are at a totally different price point .
That would be interesting Steve . The more choices the better it is . We almost bought a Casita first . Wonder what the lay outs would be like ? If nothing else I sometimes can get idea's , just like looking at model homes . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:55 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
If you read the Casita Forum there have been several threads speculating about Casita coming out with a 19 or 20 or 21 ft trailer .
There's so much more to consider than just length of a trailer. Oliver has a trailer 23.6' and it's all bed! Just kidding, but it still has a tiny kitchen. The layout does not appeal to me one iota.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
I was on the cusp of buying a Casita several months ago. I'd looked at one twice and was discussing options with the sales guy there (same direct sales model as Escape). Then I got inside an Escape 19 and it sold me. Well, the trailer itself and the tow weight--a Casita 17 Deluxe and and Escape 19 stripped models and dry weigh within 100 lbs of other (>3000 lbs) and both tow (max) +/- 4000.

So, I'm here to tell you that, yeah, those strategic decisions do have consequences when it comes to customer purchasing decisions.

Casita makes some choices (like lining interiors with carpet for insulation and using particle board instead of plywood in the interior) that tend to increase weight. I suspect a 19 foot Casita Deluxe might come in around the weight of the Escape 21, unless they seriously re-engineered their line. Of course, they are under a new generation of leadership, and they may very well be willing to take on a project like that.
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:51 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
We too were seriously considering a casita till we saw 3 21s at a rally here in Texas. Bang we were sold on Escape. One down side on casitas is that they are not open customers request for special things a customer would like the way Escape is.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:25 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
We like many started out with a Casita and wanted something larger. About a year ago I started a thread on the Casita forum asking would Casita ever make a 19' or 21'? Based on some of the responses it received was the only time I didn't feel welcome on the site. Many said why would they change something that's working and of course my response was if you don't change eventually someone will take your idea and EXPAND on it. To me that is what Escape has done they have taken an idea and make it bigger and some would say better.
I'll be curious to see what Casita does regarding this, competition is good for all of us.

Happy and safe holidays to all,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #11

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
We like many started out with a Casita and wanted something larger. About a year ago I started a thread on the Casita forum asking would Casita ever make a 19' or 21'? Based on some of the responses it received was the only time I didn't feel welcome on the site. Many said why would they change something that's working and of course my response was if you don't change eventually someone will take your idea and EXPAND on it. To me that is what Escape has done they have taken an idea and make it bigger and some would say better.
I'll be curious to see what Casita does regarding this, competition is good for all of us.

Happy and safe holidays to all,

Steve
Steve, I agree with your observation of the Casita community. I was fairly active on the Casita site sharing my modifications to our SD17. After looking at a Escape 21 and traveling multiple weeks last summer, my wife decided we needed a larger rv. When I shared my thoughts with the community most were very protective of the size and brand. I personally really like the Casita and if single, would still be traveling in the little egg. Gotta keep Momma happy! I did check with both Oliver and Casita in regards to a larger Rv. Casita's sales person stated that a larger model is in the works, about 5 years away. The Oliver is beautiful but I agree with Donna, its really just a super sized Casita. What my wife really wanted was the ability to have more than one person move around in the camper at a time. What I was looking for was storage space, we found both in the 21.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:09 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
People tend to stay with a product they know , like and trust , the so called “brand loyalty.”
We’ve owned our Casita since June of 2013 and traveled probably 25 to 30K miles with it .
We have had only a few minor problems with the trailer over 5 years .
The Casita quality has been good , we felt we got more than we paid for and we made a lot of memories .
We wanted a larger trailer so we went looking and since Casita didn’t offer a larger trailer we were forced to look elsewhere . Like many things in life ,the product you end up with is not the one you really wanted but it’s the only one available .
I wish there was more competition / more options / more choices across the whole spectrum of fiberglass trailers but at this time and place that’s not the reality !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #13

Trailer: None now
Quote:
People tend to stay with a product they know , like and trust , the so called “brand loyalty.”
We’ve owned our Casita since June of 2013 and traveled probably 25 to 30K miles with it .
We have had only a few minor problems with the trailer over 5 years .
The Casita quality has been good , we felt we got more than we paid for and we made a lot of memories .
We wanted a larger trailer so we went looking and since Casita didn’t offer a larger trailer we were forced to look elsewhere . Like many things in life ,the product you end up with is not the one you really wanted but it’s the only one available .
I wish there was more competition / more options / more choices across the whole spectrum of fiberglass trailers but at this time and place that’s not the reality !

Sounds like an opportunity for you to go into manufacturing.
Maybe when or if you do consider making a 22/23 foot trailer with a layout similar to the 19.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Scamp or Casita vs Escape discussion

transferred from another thread
Old 12-15-2018, 12:02 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There's so much more to consider than just length of a trailer. Oliver has a trailer 23.6' and it's all bed! Just kidding, but it still has a tiny kitchen. The layout does not appeal to me one iota.
Some of the items that make Oliver stand out having sat in one for a good bit of time ,the 2seater dinette is very comfortable , the bathroom is wonderful with heat coming in from furnace , the beds are latex , switches and electronics easy to see and installed high .Reminds me of being on a boat. which was my dream Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #16

Trailer: escape 21, 2018
We are former owner of a Casita SD for about 5 years. We loved it. But we are pleased to now have an Escape 21. We appreciate the increased space and getting rid of the crawl-over bed. The real clincher, though, for us is that the Escape is built for a colder climate with the double glazed windows, extra insulation options, etc.
snowmtn is offline   Reply With Quote