Sell me and others on a fiver - 5.0TA - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #21

Trailer: 1957 Alaskan
You’ll see a lot of queen bed comments on here, I’ll even be the exception to that. The space up in that bed loft in a TA accommodates our good foam KING mattress with a couple of notches cut out for the cubby holes and my amazing wife’s stitching prowess of modifying the mattress cover with the notches cut out! All that and still a little room on the sides for storage next to the mattress. Steps....yup, but you gotta remember that falling into bed is followed by getting up out of it, it’s just reversed in a TA...get up into the bed and slide down the steps out of it. The bathroom....small, the rest including storage....huge for a 22’ trailer. You maybe spend 10 minutes/day in the bathroom (less if you use the campground RR’s-but that seems to be a male v female thing) and 8 hours in that great bedroom space...
The biggest questions for TA’s vs bumper pulls might be tow vehicle....and THAT’S a subject. But if you already have almost any truck, either model is a least an option with Escape...so we’ll ALL tell you you’re starting in the right manufacturer forum!
Fordt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
We went through many of the pros and cons you have listed and decided on a 5th wheel. We bought a small stick and tin 5'ver in 1999 and had many wonderful years traveling extensively in it. The ease and stability of towing and smaller overall length for fitting into small campsites were the biggest factors for us and we have been very happy with our choice. It was 23', a bit longer than the 5.0TA, with a very similar floor plan. That rig eventually became unfit for the road due to repeated roof leaks over the years, a common "sticky" fate.

We had been looking futilely in recent years for another small 5'ver. The sticky companies stopped building them years ago, having focused on more profitable big rigs. When we discovered Escape and the 5.0TA a few months ago it was like we heard the angels singing....exactly the kind of small, high quality 5th wheel we had been dreaming of. Now we are in the process of planning for a 2019 5.0TA and a new tow vehicle...our 1998 Ram is a little long in the tooth for the kind of future adventures we have in mind. We put a bed rail height tool box in the front of the 6-1/2' bed for storage and that worked great, will probably do the same on our new truck.

There's no one right answer, that's why there are many types of rigs. Looks like you are giving it lots of thought and seem to have identified most of the factors, if you rank the pros and cons in order of importance to you one choice will probably emerge over the other. It sure looks like you can't go wrong with any Escape, we are eagerly anticipating the day when we drive from Texas to Chilliwack to pick up a shiny new 5.0TA. First we'll have to choose a fabric - down to the top 100 picks or so right now, looks like this may take a while ;o)
I too had a "sticky" 5th wheel for years (22 foot Lance) and loved it. Pulled well and I could get it into almost any campsite. It too got long in the tooth but I had a very hard time finding a replacement for the small rig until I found the Escape. Ironically the layout of the Lance and the Escape 5th wheels were almost identical but the Lance had a dry bath.

The Escape handles better than the Lance in the wind and the Escape has more storage. The Escape also has taller cabinet spaces than the 21.

I would not give up my queen size bed or my 5th wheel for a trailer.... but I am bias.

Happy camping all! Bill
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
OP here, thanks all for the responses.

Was hoping more of the ETI 5er crowd would chip in, perhaps they will later.

For me, the tipping points would be the slightly better towing experience and dedicated bedroom. Pondering the loss of the cargo bed while justifying what 'stuff' really needs to be there anyways - jerry cans, ladder, chocks, hose in my case.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
For me personally, I really like the TA and would probably go that route if I were younger. I like keeping my trailer waxed twice a year myself and I can barely get through the waxing and maintenance on my 19 and would be unable to deal with any more trailer. I really enjoyed seeing what Jim B did with his TA at Quartzsite this year and think it is a very nice option to consider, but many times with houses, boats, trailers folks don’t consider the additional upkeep as we age.
Now, I have no idea what your age or health is, but just putting this out there to give some thought to. There is a TA listed for sale today that she indicates is selling because of this very issue.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
OP here, thanks all for the responses.

Was hoping more of the ETI 5er crowd would chip in, perhaps they will later.

For me, the tipping points would be the slightly better towing experience and dedicated bedroom. Pondering the loss of the cargo bed while justifying what 'stuff' really needs to be there anyways - jerry cans, ladder, chocks, hose in my case.
Love my 5.0 TA it tows so smoothly I hardly know I am towing! Very maneuverable and easy to park in small spaces...it does take some getting used to with the pivot point so much farther forward. I like that it is shorter in overall length too. I had a Scamp 5th wheel before this and that towed well too but the double axle is waaay better. It seems to soak up bumps and road imperfections much better so you don't feel them so much in the wheel...thus less tiring to drive. It is rock solid in winds, rain etc no swaying or bucking or anything. I use the Anderson ultimate hitch and just added their plastic funnel to help line it up....much easier and well made too. I have not used a true 5th wheel hitch but do like the way the Anderson tows.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape19 2016
I considered the 5 until I realized that it meant less light in the trailer. I bought a 19' instead and love having windows in both the front and back. And I have a window over the sink and in the bathroom - makes a huge difference. Plus I didn't need to buy a truck, so I pull mine with a Volvo XC90. I also learned that if I raise the trailer's tongue, the equalizer bars slide on and off easily.
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Love my 5.0 TA it tows so smoothly I hardly know I am towing! Very maneuverable and easy to park in small spaces...it does take some getting used to with the pivot point so much farther forward. ...... It is rock solid in winds, rain etc no swaying or bucking or anything.

Let's pick on that for a moment.

My driveway is 40' to the fence line as you look out from a 10' wide garage door. The 21 can be jackknifed in when I remember my alignment points but that 40' is of course what the rig's length is. Would a 5er rig that is say 35' overall be easier? The truck front tires would be farther from the door at first approach, if I understand the forward pivot point correctly, but I gain about 5' of margin?

I like the wind comments. This last trip was nothing but cross wind.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I am 36' total length with the 5.0TA and F 150 Super Crew Cab and Anderson Ultimate Hitch. It is not more difficult to maneuver, just different than with a bumper pull, seems like once it begins to turn it wants to stay in the turn. I don't have extensive experience backing up a bumper pull trailer into tight spots so I can't expertly comment on parking issues.
I have towed it across Wyoming I 80 several times in all kinds of wind conditions including a night time show storm over the continental divide and didn't notice how strong the crosswind was until I stopped at a rest stop. Ditto for Kansas on I 70. I stopped for the night at a rest stop and was surprised at how strong the north wind was blowing against the trailer while I was trying to sleep. I have also towed it over Colorado mountain passes in many conditions, even spending the night at a Walmart parking lot in Avon, CO because I 70 at Vail Pass was closed due to a heavy snow storm. I am usually surprised at how strong the wind conditions are when I stop because the combination is so stable while driving I don't "feel" the crosswinds very much. I'm very happy with the 5.0TA and highly recommend it.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #29

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
What year F150? What engine?

We're looking at late model (2014-2016) F150's with the 3.5L ecoboost for a 5.0TA.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
I am 36' total length with the 5.0TA and F 150 Super Crew Cab and Anderson Ultimate Hitch.
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #30

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Bruce I am glad that Barb brought your thread back to life. I missed when you started it as I was enjoying days two and three with our new-to-us 5.0TA camping in Montana on my way home.

I echo many of the sentiments, queen bed, and full length now unlike our slightly shorter one in our old 5.0. Tons of storage, I can't figure how we're going to fill in the all the space but Beth tells me all the cupboards above the dinette will have quilting stuff

I too have a tri-fold cover and can carry small stepladder, the big outside mat, and other things under protection. We have the B&W Patriot hitch that although heavy I feel most confident with a full locking jaw.

We used to tow a 13 foot sticky without brakes when our kids were small so cannot comment about towing a non fifth wheel although may be able to next week, as this weekend am helping my son here bring home a sticky from Indiana.

Glad you brought up the shorter length overall with tow. I couldn't believe how much we paid for BC Ferries to the Island last year, and we plan to do it again next year. With a 21 we'd be paying considerable more.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Right now the 19 fits us best. First, we cannot get a longer pull behind into our storage area, no way. So a 21 is out. Even now we have to use our Honda Element to place the trailer into storage and back out again. The F150 is too long.

Secondly, we are amateur pickers. So we need the storage in the truck bed for our finds.

Number 1 thing I like about a fifth wheel is you really have two distinct and separate living areas: the forward bed and the rear dinette. It’s like having two separate rooms. I really, really like it. And I loved how my fifth wheel towed.

As far as storage, hard to beat the 19 with the added storage box up front and the storage in my truck bed.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:00 PM   #32

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
For us it was an easy and instant decision: EASY to tow. Exceptional floor plan. Cheaper BC Ferry rates, and if our trip into the US this year was any indication, we were the quiet envy of many a bigger rig in the Parks. Construction quality is excellent. Besides how else was I going to justify buying a Toyota Tundra!
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:02 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
What year F150? What engine?

We're looking at late model (2014-2016) F150's with the 3.5L ecoboost for a 5.0TA.

Frank
2010 F 150 Lariat Super Crew 5.5' bed, 4 X 2 with the 5.4L V8. I currently have almost 122,000 miles on it. The payload is 1392 Lbs. I put Sumo Springs on it before picking up the trailer. The first 100K miles it seldom pulled any trailers.
I just recently decided to keep it another year, so I am about to change the spark plugs, brakes and tires and fix a few small items. Next year i'll look into getting a 2019 Lariat Super Cab, 4 X 2 with the 3.5 Ecoboost, max trailer tow package and tow mirrors. I'm debating whether I want the 6.5' or 8' bed in it. I'm somewhat interested in the new 3.0L diesel but I really doubt i'll spring for it.
I've pulled the 5.0TA up thru the Eisenhower Tunnel several times, over Vail Pass and Rabbit Ears Pass in windy conditions and the truck just chugs along, sometimes downshifting and cranking up to 4000 rpm, especially if I get slow and need to speed up. I think i'll really like the 3.5 Eco Boost with the 10 Speed transmission when I finally get it. I really love the 5.0 TA.
Almost every trip has me climbing over mountain passes but if I lived in the East I would also look into the 2.7L Ecoboost with the 10 speed transmission.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:25 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post

I put Sumo Springs on it before picking up the trailer. The first 100K miles it seldom pulled any trailers.

I'm debating whether I want the 6.5' or 8' bed in it.

If I lived in the East I would also look into the 2.7L Ecoboost with the 10 speed transmission.
Sumo springs eh? Sounds heavy duty. Will check them out, thanks.

If it was me, I would go with the 8' bed. Much handier.

While we live in the East, we will be retired soon and also have lived in WY and the state of WA, and have friends both places. We expect to travel widely. And the mountains in the east ain't nothing to sneeze at! 3.5L for us.

Enjoy,

Frank
Old 05-24-2018, 09:15 AM   #35

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Might also want to take a look at Timbren Stoppers. I have had good luck with them.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:38 AM   #36

While the 8 foot bed may be handier it makes for a really long truck. So in a way it’s less handy. We have an F 150 Super cab right now 6.5 ft bed, truck before it was a Super Crew 5.5 ft bed. Next one will probably be a Super Crew.

It’s always a compromise!

While we live in the east our big trips are all out west so I’d get the 3.5EB.

If I recall right max payload requires the long bed 8ft Super Cab or 6.5 Super Crew.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:47 AM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
My Ford F-150 is my daily driver. I can't imagine trying to park this truck in a typical parking lot or street space if it had an 8' bed.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My Ford F-150 is my daily driver. I can't imagine trying to park this truck in a typical parking lot or street space if it had an 8' bed.
My 2001 F150 was an extended cab (SCAB?) and had an 8' bed. I drove it to work every day and parked in the building's parking lot. You can't get the 4 door F150 in an 8' bed anymore. I think you can get it with the F250 though.

Each to their own.

Frank
Old 05-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #39

You can get a supercab with an eight foot bed and a Supercrew with a 6 1/2 foot bed. Both are long. My supercab with a 6 1/2 foot bed is just about 20 feet long.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
You can get a supercab with an eight foot bed and a Supercrew with a 6 1/2 foot bed. Both are long. My supercab with a 6 1/2 foot bed is just about 20 feet long.
Our parking lot is old fashioned - 10 X 20. Kinda unusual.

Frank