Share your family of four experiences with Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Share your family of four experiences with Escape 19

We're thinking of getting an Escape 19' trailer for our family of four. the layout looks pretty good and my wife and I are especially impressed with the queen sized bed. Our primary concern is the 40" dinette/bed. We'd love to hear the experiences of others with a family of four spending a couple of weeks in an Escape 19'.

Is the dinette comfortable or too small when four people are forced inside to eat or play games due to bad weather? Also, how is the dinette for two teens to sleep on? Our boys are 7 and 11 now and the dinette converted into a bed would work fine for them now but we wonder about when they're older. We'll probably have them sleep in a tent, they're quite used to that anyhow. However, there have been times where campgrounds that we've wanted to tent in wouldn't allow us in because we only had tents and with recent bear activity they were strictly enforcing a hard sided trailer only policy.

The soon to be available 21' looks intriguing as an alternative but we *think* we'd prefer not having our bed right next to the door, not giving up the queen bed and sticking with the lower weight and less frontal area (wind resistance) of the 19'. No TV yet but considering either a Highlander (local dealer, consierably cheaper, 7 seat versatility) or Touareg TDI (love our VW Sportwagen TDI, fuel economy, lots of torque and towing capacity) when the time comes.

I see a few active posters on the forums here live fairly close by so we'll be looking to check out their rigs before placing an order, but we would still like to hear the experiences of others if possible.

Bruce
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #2

Trailer: '07 17B
We have been camping in our 17' with our 2 grown up kids. They were more than happy to sleep in their own tent! In inclement weather, we all fit ok inside the trailer, but it was definitely better sitting outside under the tarps!! If you haven't got a TV yet, maybe consider one that could pull double duty as a place for 1, or both to sleep.
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Hi Bruce, welcome to the forum.

The dinette would sleep two kids, no problem. Just so long as they get along. I would strongly consider getting the bunk option for one of them. I would be the boys would be just as happy sleeping in a tent mush of the time though. That would leave the table free for eating and not have to be set up every day.

The dinette is also great for 4 adults to sit at. We have done it in a few situations where the weather was crappy. Tons of room for that.

I agree totally on the bed right at the door with the 21, that would render it a no-go for me too, but some seem to really like the rear dinette, which can be nice is a couple situations.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I found the cushions that make up the bed in the 17B were a bit too hard to be comfortable for sleeping. Of course, that makes sense, since they are designed for sitting which provides a smaller contact area. I added a 2" topper for more comfort.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
We are only a family of three. So I can't offer opinion on some of your questions. As for the dinette as a bed we found the cushions not overly comforatable as a matress. We had a foam matress made at foam king in edmonton this winter for the front dinette . I know Ice breaker is from Beaumont which is closer than were we are in St.albert but you are more than welcome to check ours out if you like.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Speaking from no experience whatsoever... It looks like the bunk option solves the crowded sleeping problem. U-shaped dinette solves the crowded table problem. With 4 sleeping and eating in the trailer you are left with the problem of converting between bed and dinette twice every day.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
With respect to sleeping 4 in the 19', we bought the bunk as an option when we purchased our 19'. We have a daughter and a son at home still, so we thought that the bunk would be useful at least for the next couple of years. We just picked up our 19' two weeks ago, so the front bed area and the bunk have not even been used yet, and we cannot comment on how comfortable they are. I expect that when the weather is good, my son would rather sleep outside in his Hennessy hammock than in the trailer, but we will see. If he does use his hammock, we would likely leave the table up and just set up and take down the bunk each day for my daughter (unless she wants to use my hammock).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
... I know Ice breaker is from Beaumont which is closer than were we are in St.albert but you are more than welcome to check ours out if you like.
Yes, by all means send me a PM if you wish to set up a time to come by and view our 19'. We are only about a 1/2 hr drive from Wetaskwin and are home most of the time.

regards
dave

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #8

Thanks for the great info everyone. Yes, Dave and Dave, you were two of the active members here I was thinking of contacting when ready to view one. Thanks for your kind offers to view. I'm sure we'll be setting up a time to view someday. As our summer is already booked, I'm more looking at ordering one to have ready for next (2014) summer so there's no rush yet, I'm just researching options at this time. I must admit though, the Escape 19 sure looks to be nearly perfect and the way Escape owners rave about their trailers is both compelling and encouraging.

I'm curious about the bunk option. I understand it has to be installed during the manufacturing stage because the walls need reinforcing. The photos I've seen here show mounting brackets on the wall. Are the mounting brackets permanently affixed or are they removable? Does the hardware go right through the fibreglass walls (possible leak source)? If they're permanently affixed, are they in a place where one would be likely to bang their head on them if they were to lean back while sitting at the dinette? Also, when the bunk is set up, is it just some fabric suspended between two poles? If so, how much does it sag in the middle when someone lies there? Does the sleeper have to sleep on their back and not move much or is it wide enough and firm enough to sleep on one's side? It's hard to get a sense of what the bunk is like. I'm glad to hear that you have the bunk Dave W. because I'd really like to take a good look at it if we decide to go ahead and order an Escape 19.

As for the U-shaped dinette, while it certainly would fit everyone, I'd rather not. I like the idea of a dedicated bed for us parents as I'm looking forward to a comfortable sleep on a dedicated mattress. Otherwise I'd be just as happy sticking with our tents!

Bruce
Old 05-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #9

Bruce, my responses are shown in red after each of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjod View Post
...I'm curious about the bunk option. I understand it has to be installed during the manufacturing stage because the walls need reinforcing. Yes.

The photos I've seen here show mounting brackets on the wall. Are the mounting brackets permanently affixed or are they removable? They are fixed.

Does the hardware go right through the fibreglass walls (possible leak source)? The hardware does not go through the walls. No leak potential.

If they're permanently affixed, are they in a place where one would be likely to bang their head on them if they were to lean back while sitting at the dinette? No issues for me or my wife sitting at the dinette, or even our kids for that matter. Smaller children could potentially bump heads on the brackets, but I am sure they would learn very quickly not to do so.

Also, when the bunk is set up, is it just some fabric suspended between two poles? Yes, fabric between two steel poles (each pole breaks down into two pieces).

If so, how much does it sag in the middle when someone lies there? Fabric is non-stretching. Very little sag due to weight of sleeper.

Does the sleeper have to sleep on their back and not move much or is it wide enough and firm enough to sleep on one's side? We have not used ours yet, but my impression is that sleeper could sleep on back, front, or sides.

It's hard to get a sense of what the bunk is like. I'm glad to hear that you have the bunk Dave W. because I'd really like to take a good look at it if we decide to go ahead and order an Escape 19.... As I mentioned, you are welcome to view it. Just send me a PM if you wish.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 05-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #10

Okay, thanks for the info Ice-Breaker. The bunk sounds like a better solution than I'd envisioned.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had Reace add 2" to my dinette cushions, makes the bed a lot more comfortable.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I had Reace add 2" to my dinette cushions, makes the bed a lot more comfortable.
In which dimension? 2" thicker?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
yes, they are 6" vs stock 4" thick all the way around.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #14

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
Lots of good responses and info. For what it is worth my family of four does fine in a 17B with gaucho bunks. It rarely rains so we tend to eat outside.

The 19 wasn't available in 2006, but if it was, I would have considered it.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #15

Yes, I'd given the gaucho bunks model some thought. Decided that:
a) I'd prefer 4" headroom standing inside the trailer rather than 1", and
b) a dedicated bed with a comfy mattress (rather than seat cushions) sounds like an amazing luxury!
Old 05-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #16

A couple weekends ago we spent the May Long weekend camping in our 19' with 4 of us in the trailer, and 2 other family members in tents. My youngest 6'-3" son slept on the front dinette converted to a bed and his younger sister slept on the bunk. Both were sold on the comfort of their respective beds. My daughter was ok with either using or not using a sleeping pad on the bunk for comfort.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #17

Thanks for sharing your kids' experiences Dave. My only other concern with it then would be head clearance (i.e. no discomfort when leaning back) when sitting at the dinette. I do plan on taking you up on your generous invite to see your Escape 19 and I'll check that out for myself in person sometime later this summer. Our hope is still for an Escape 19 next summer. No need this year as summer is already all booked up! Just bought a tow vehicle last weekend though so our plans are in motion.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
We sleep a family of 4, plus German Shepherd Dog in our 17B no problem. On one rainy day we had 5 adults (one in a lawn chair at the head of the table), for coffee, plus our two kids and dog in our trailer. It was fun! Our boys are 8 and 11. We spend almost all of our time outside, so really the trailer is a place to sleep. Go with a 17 - anything bigger is excessive!
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote