Sink and Cabinet mod - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2017, 12:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 Foot
Sink and Cabinet mod

Just about finished on our build out sheet and looking for a little advise. Would like a larger and deeper sink than what comes with the new 21 and was told max depth can't be larger than 16 inches and has to be a drop in with no precut holes. Has any one found a stainless steel sink on Amazon that would work that they are happy with? I'm thinking it would be cheaper to ship through my Amazon Prime.

Also I'm probably going to add the taller cabinet by the bed. Is the counter worth keeping or would added storage be better? I like the idea of using the cabinet by the fridge for a pantry and the one by the bed for cloths. Any thoughts? Red Dog posted a great shelving system by his cabinet next to the fridge. Thinking something similar might work great for cloths as well.

Wardrobe and storage ideas would be helpful.

Thanks
Zengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I've no advice on the taller cabinet by the bed, except to say there is ample storage elsewhere in the 21, and extending the storage might make it feel too closed in.

As for the sinks, I like a bar sink with zero radius corners and about an 8" bowl depth - like this one on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z8CIS1S..._02nDzbZJJFPD6
Old 07-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I call that area the night stand and it was handy for tv watching in bed as well as emptying your pockets at night. The stock closet is huge and the area overhead is very big for a pantry. We did not have the microwave. Enclosing it appears to make the area cramped. Some have added an optional window over the "night stand" which makes it very open. I'd suggest a flip up shelf there also. We had the 3 drawer model, now it is only 2 drawers due to furnace relocation.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I call that area the night stand and it was handy for tv watching in bed as well as emptying your pockets at night. The stock closet is huge and the area overhead is very big for a pantry. We did not have the microwave. Enclosing it appears to make the area cramped. Some have added an optional window over the "night stand" which makes it very open. I'd suggest a flip up shelf there also. We had the 3 drawer model, now it is only 2 drawers due to furnace relocation.
Hi: cpaharley2008... Places we camp simply empty my pockets during the day!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
We got the extended cabinet and really like it. Neither of us watch TV in bed and didn't see any other use for that counter. You do get a flip up counter with the extended cabinet and I've used it a few times. Left it up while sleeping in bed and it wasn't a problem.

I had ETI install a shelf about half way in the extended cabinet. I use the top for my dirty clothes hamper and it fits perfectly.

I don't really carry stuff around in my pockets, so nothing to empty out of them when I get back in the trailer. We put in some key holders on that cabinet wall - one for keys and the other for the Cocoon sunglass cases. (2nd holder was added after this photo was taken, as well as black sticky felt under the key area as they made lots of noise moving back and forth - the felt stops that from happening.)

You'll also want to order some shelf toppers from Charlie of RV Widget Works. I've got 3 of them and they really add to your storage needs. They'll fit both the drawers under the kitchen cabinet and above the furnace.

Neither of us feel the extended cabinet makes the area feel "closed in". It's all subjective, I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05372.jpg   DSC05387.jpg   DSC05328.jpg   DSC05329.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #6

Thanks all for your helpful replies. Just got bumped up to Oct 31st, getting really excited!

Here's another question. If we are getting the solar with inverter 1500 why would I need extra 12v anywhere. Wouldn't my 120 outlets work?
Old 07-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #7

Hi Robert, Hope you all are well. Just got our date for pick up bumped up to Oct 31st! Getting really excited!

The sink you sent says it's an undermount so don't think it will work. The search continues...

Tell Yolanda I said Hi and that I'm still making her juice! Also have you guys and Fred and Dora down for referral.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengranny View Post
Thanks all for your helpful replies. Just got bumped up to Oct 31st, getting really excited!

Here's another question. If we are getting the solar with inverter 1500 why would I need extra 12v anywhere. Wouldn't my 120 outlets work?
A lot of chargers use 12v USB and it is always more economical and efficient to use 12v to charge 12v appliances, such as smart phones and computers. By skipping 12v outlets you end up using 12v batteries to convert to 120v to charge a 12v appliance you see the extra effort. If you plan correctly, you really may not need any 120v use except for microwave, everything else is available in 12v. I always install extra 12v outlets in all my trailers and never need an inverter. Save yourself some $$$, just because an inverter is available does not mean you need it.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
A lot of chargers use 12v USB and it is always more economical and efficient to use 12v to charge 12v appliances, such as smart phones and computers...
There's no 12V USB - the power supply voltage in a USB connection is 5V - but it is true that many devices charge through a USB connection, and USB chargers powered by 12V (and designed to plug into automotive accessory sockets) are common. There are probably no 12V smartphones or computers in production, but most (perhaps now all) smartphones do charge from USB, and there are 12V-powered chargers available for most computers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #10

I thought the USB/12v outlet installed by Escape ran off 12v battery. Maybe I should say you need DC versus AC, to charge items.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
The sink you sent says it's an undermount so don't think it will work. The search continues...
Zengranny,

At the end of December, when we were at ETI to finalize our build sheet, we found a stainless steel sink (Kindred QSA1816/8, $187 Canadian) that Pioneer Building Supplies in Chilliwack could order. The sink is 18 1/8" x 16 1/8" x 8" deep, so we thought if we rotated it so the 16 1/8" was front to back it might be possible. Sarah checked with Reace, and the extra 1/8" was no problem. What was done then may not be done now, so it would be best to check with ETI.

Gary
garysd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I thought the USB/12v outlet installed by Escape ran off 12v battery. Maybe I should say you need DC versus AC, to charge items.
Yes, but it contains a 12 VDC to 5 VDC converter. There's always a converter somewhere... and yes, 12 VDC to 5 VDC is a simpler and more efficient conversion than 12 VDC to 120 VAC (in an inverter) plus 120 VAC to 5 VDC.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:14 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Hi Robert, Hope you all are well. Just got our date for pick up bumped up to Oct 31st! Getting really excited!

Tell Yolanda I said Hi and that I'm still making her juice! Also have you guys and Fred and Dora down for referral.
We are doing fine Debby, thanks!

The sink is an "undermount" meaning it can be mounted that way, but it has a lip, and works perfectly as a drop in. There are several others of similar size that will do the same.

We like the ones like that one because the lip is about the same width as the lip of the Dickinson Marine cooktop I added to the trailer. So if I ever swap out the stock sink, it'll be for one like that.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:42 AM   #14

Nice Thank You, I'm calling Pioneer about flooring today so I'll ck on price.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:45 AM   #15

Great sink, will send link to ETI for approval. I've had a couple of great suggestions from this link.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:33 PM   #16

Trailer: None
Can undermount sinks be used in kitchen counter?

Quote:

I know that undermount sinks can be installed in a laminate counter top but it appears Escape will not do that - is that correct? Has anyone done it on their own?
rja52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by rja52 View Post
I know that undermount sinks can be installed in a laminate counter top but it appears Escape will not do that - is that correct? Has anyone done it on their own?
Yes, an undermount sink could be done on a laminate countertop - is this what you are wanting to do? As the laminate is applied after the sink is installed, unless Escape would do it - how could it get installed without relaminating the countertop?

Old 08-18-2020, 01:20 PM   #18

I don't have a trailer yet but am considering order a 21NE but I would prefer an undermount sink. The sink modifications I've seen on the forum have all been drop-in sinks. I don't know if ETI would do that during the build so I will ask. Thanks for the link!
Old 08-18-2020, 01:30 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by rja52 View Post
I don't have a trailer yet but am considering order a 21NE but I would prefer an undermount sink. The sink modifications I've seen on the forum have all been drop-in sinks. I don't know if ETI would do that during the build so I will ask. Thanks for the link!
Great! If Escape will do the undermount, you may start a new option.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysd View Post
Zengranny,

At the end of December, when we were at ETI to finalize our build sheet, we found a stainless steel sink (Kindred QSA1816/8, $187 Canadian) that Pioneer Building Supplies in Chilliwack could order. The sink is 18 1/8" x 16 1/8" x 8" deep, so we thought if we rotated it so the 16 1/8" was front to back it might be possible. Sarah checked with Reace, and the extra 1/8" was no problem. What was done then may not be done now, so it would be best to check with ETI.

Gary
I know this is an old post but just wondering how this sink worked out for you. At 20 guage, it's a little thinner than a lot of sinks - any dents or other problems? Would you recommend it?