Skylark Build Sheet (Long -- much too Long) - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #41
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
UPS and Fedex both have ridiculous brokerage fees; I ship USPS instead; not all items get slapped with a customs fee. If there are fees, ETI will pay them on their end and add them to your invoice. I have them email copies of the customs paperwork as once the trailer is exported from Canada you can apply for a refund (like the VAT taxes in Europe) as a foreigner. Pretty simple, but you won't get the $10 per shipments Canadian Customs handling fees back.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrab2002 View Post
jon, what pressure do you use to blow out the lines?
30psi.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
  • We will have a total of five 12 volt outlets in the trailer, two above the bed, two in the dining area (one on each side) and one on the side of the closet above the night stand.
I question the need for so many 12-volt outlets. I have only one and find that sufficient to power my television at night and charge my phone or tablet during the day.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #44

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I question the need for so many 12-volt outlets. I have only one and find that sufficient to power my television at night and charge my phone or tablet during the day.
Matches the number of 120vac outlets.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #45

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I find the 12V outlets to be much more useful than the 120V outlets. We have four 12V outlets in our 19' and don't regret any of them (2 in front and 2 in rear). We have not yet used any of the 120V outlets inside the trailer (and I am not even sure where they may be).

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Karen,

We end up trying to charge iPhones, iPads, sometimes a Garmin bike computer, and a bose blue tooth speaker (for sitting outside), and powering the 12volt tv. but mostly it is about convenience, having an outlet close to where I am sitting for those times that I have forgotten to charge my device. You are right, it is a lot. I simply sat down and tried to think of all the places I might use a 12 volt outlet, and came up with those spots

Leon
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #47

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We have the single 12v outlet--what I got and used a lot this last trip was from Canadian Tire--"Motomaster Eliminator--power bar--mobile power outlet. 300w of initial power and 150W continuous power.--has a couple USB 2.0 outlets and 2 Ac power outlets..

I was able to charge my cell phone and the laptop and the camera battery.I mainly only charged the cell in the trailer but did both in the car while travelling.

Can't remember the price got it on sale.. So far so good...
Old 06-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #48

I like USPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
If you drive into Canada to ship, I would use Canada Post rather than UPS. Just take your package to the post office and they should be able to ship if for you.

As an alternative, you may want to check whether USPS will ship for you. May be cheaper than making a road trip to Canada.
Dave and Charlie, you are absolutely right about USPS, and in the light of day I am surprised that I hadn't thought of that before.

I rode my bike across the country, and along the way I had to ship various bits and pieces home. Like Escapees, bicycle tourists sometimes bring too much stuff. Anyhow, I came to realize that every little town has a post office, most of them with nicely sized boxes. Postal clerks were more than willing to apply a bit of tape to the boxes so that I didn't have to buy a big roll. Everywhere I went, the postal employees were pleasant and helpful. And their prices are almost always better than UPS or FedEX, including at those post offices who have a FedEx drop box right out side.

At home, our mail lady holds the mail for us while we are gone. She is only supposed to hold it 30 days, but when we have been gone a few days longer than that, she has been willing to hold it for a bit longer. She is also a cyclist, and sometimes she stops and chats with me about bikes.

There is this stereotype of the grumpy postal employee, but I have found nothing in my experience to support it.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Karen,

We end up trying to charge iPhones, iPads, sometimes a Garmin bike computer, and a bose blue tooth speaker (for sitting outside), and powering the 12volt tv. but mostly it is about convenience, having an outlet close to where I am sitting for those times that I have forgotten to charge my device. You are right, it is a lot. I simply sat down and tried to think of all the places I might use a 12 volt outlet, and came up with those spots

Leon
I have posted these here a few times no one seems to notice they are available and simple to install yourself or have ETI do it for you. WHITE - Hubbell USB Charger Tamper-Resistant 15 amp 125 Volt Duplex Receptacle WHITE - Electrical Outlets - Amazon.com Might reduce the amount of 12v accessory outlets you need installed. IMHO

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I purchased several types of these USB/120v outlets to install in my Escape. The problem is the stock factory outlet box is too small because these after market models are a lot bigger than the conventional stock outlet. I have 6 sitting in my basement….they are handy if you are are hooked up, but a PITA to install in the stock box.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #51
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Loews has the type with 2 USB and a single 120V. Fits in a standard box fine - added to my Casita.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0181.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #52

anyone want to buy some double USB outlets…….real cheap!!!
Old 06-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #53

I may get some of the combo 120volt/USB outlets, but if so it will be an aftermarket thing. I am trying to be somewhat respectful of Reace and ETI's patience in customization, and with all the 12volt outlets, I probably won't need them.

Oh, and I forgot to mention to J Mac that the solar powered melon baller will be on the shopping list for that first visit to camping world -- the one where you go spend more money than you planned on because somethings are either "so useful", or "so cute" that you just can't resist. ETI won't offer it as an option.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #54

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
LeonW,
While you have your Visa out, you may also want to consider Camping World's solar powered tanning beds and booths.

"Camping World, a place where you can't pay more".
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:57 PM   #55

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
I have posted these here a few times no one seems to notice they are available and simple to install yourself or have ETI do it for you. WHITE - Hubbell USB Charger Tamper-Resistant 15 amp 125 Volt Duplex Receptacle WHITE - Electrical Outlets - Amazon.com Might reduce the amount of 12v accessory outlets you need installed. IMHO

Cypher
I don't see any point in these, at least for me. They are pointless unless you are on shore power, running a generator, or using a built-in inverter... and in each of those cases inexpensive USB adapters in 12V sockets or even the AC sockets work as well. The big difference is that the 12V adapters also work when there is no AC power.

Also, when USB power standards change, those special outlets will be obsolete, but new adapters can be just plugged in. Not long ago 500 mA ports would have been fine, but now at least 1500 mA is expected for some devices; some of those combination receptacles are probably already obsolete.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:10 AM   #56

See post #52…..
Old 06-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #57

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... and in each of those cases inexpensive USB adapters in 12V sockets or even the AC sockets work as well. The big difference is that the 12V adapters also work when there is no AC power...
Our approach is to use the 12V USB adapters. I bought a half dozen of them online for a couple $ each. They work well in the car and trailer for charging almost all of my USB devices (ipads, ipod, cell phone, etc). I have transformers with 12V plugs on them that I use for the television, Bluetooth speaker, and laptop. We don't actually bring any devices with us that plug directly into the 120V system.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #58

I considered getting some to the 12volt dedicated USB adaptors. But soon came to my senses and realized that it was just as easy to have the little insert and that way I could use the 12volt socket for other things as well.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:27 AM   #59

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA
Leon,

Again I wish to thank you for putting your build sheet on paper, it has and will continue to be use full.

My build list is very similar to yours, one item of difference is the shelf / cabinet to the right of the entry door. I have ask ETI to place a second wardrobe in that location. A mirror image of the standard wardrobe. $300 adder. All of the 5.0 build pictures I have looked at had the standard cabinet / shelf with drawer.

I intend to travel for months at a time and the extra storage space will be use full, add to that I do not like shelves that encourage visible clutter. Anal intensive is how I refer to my condition.
strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #60

I am glad this was helpful. I had mixed thoughts about posting it. I know that some items are perennial subjects of discussion -- Microwave vs. no Microwave, for example. We talk about these items often, but the end result is always "different strokes for different folks". But on the other hand, I am a bit afraid of missing something that should obviously be included, or just making a bone-headed decision. So I figure more eyes reviewing it is useful.

I assume when you mention the wardrobe to the right of the entry door, you are talking about your 15, right? I don't think there is room for a wardrobe there in a 21.