sliding windows vs awning ? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #21

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Break-A-Way door post.
I have been thinking about this problem for a few weeks now and have come up with what I will be trying once I get my trailer. It is a bolt with washer that you attach to a magnet on the side of the trailer trailer during setup. It will stop the door from hitting the window should it fly open or someone leans on it. However if someone accidentally hits it sideways it will fall off and not damage the person. On the end is any ball or mascot that you would like so that the door or a person hitting it straight on will not be injured. The magnet can be attached with double side tape (disc) and/or with a bolt/screw. I think the area where the side wall is re enforced to hold the seat top would provide good sidewall support. The metal tape would go over the magnet to clean up the look of it and aid in weather protection.
This is all in the early stages of development so feel free to run with the idea and perfect it on a real trailer.
The magnet I will be using is called a magnetic welding ground post. The two inch/200 amp model should work just fine. They can be found at Prince Auto, Summit tools etc. First is a picture of the raw products...second is the order as you put them put together...third is them put together...use your imagination! Good luck.
We went with this as did several others.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
We attached the short end to the door and the longer part to the side of the trailer. So far no one, not even a squirrel have injured themselves with it.

And it still looks nice.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
That looks much easier.
Is it long enough to mount at the edge of the door or does it have to be mounted mid way?
Of course a picture installed would be nice.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #23

Quote:
That looks much easier.
Is it long enough to mount at the edge of the door or does it have to be mounted mid way?
Of course a picture installed would be nice.

Here you go....
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post204497
Old 12-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Thanks for the picture and the link...don’t know how I missed that thread.
Of course like many items here in Canada when you go to Amazon.ca things are much different. Exact same product with the same 109 reviews and the price goes from $9 to $45. However there are similar ones available by other manufacturers ranging in price from $12 to $165...plus shipping!
Attached Thumbnails
745138FD-33D5-4078-A5CE-F82809910D8D.jpg   80C2B1C3-FA04-4EE1-81D2-C95744762DB2.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Thanks for the picture and the link...don’t know how I missed that thread.
Of course like many items here in Canada when you go to Amazon.ca things are much different. Exact same product with the same 109 reviews and the price goes from $9 to $45. However there are similar ones available by other manufacturers ranging in price from $12 to $165...plus shipping!
And we both get to look at all the neat stuff the Aussies have available to them.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:29 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
And we both get to look at all the neat stuff the Aussies have available to them.
Was discussing BBQs with a friend in NZ. Same Weber portable that is $349 here is $600 there.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Was discussing BBQs with a friend in NZ. Same Weber portable that is $349 here is $600 there.
Yours and my friends in NZ pay more since currency exchanges are really not in their favor right now. Plus everything needs to be shipped in. Do not ever make the mistake of sending someone there a faceted Welo opal for his wife to wear.
The poor guy ended up paying more in duties and GST than it cost me to buy the rough to make it. Wish he had contacted me first.

Edit, or I had ignored the post office here who told me I had to declare what it was. I could have said it was costume jewelry.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
I guess that big price difference between Amazon.com and .ca is why on a late Monday morning there were about fifteen vehicles lined up at Cdn customs in our town. South of us two miles in Pembina ND, where there are many parcel pickup locations I saw lots of MB plates around town but only one at the duty free. Most people I'm sure were over to pick up parcels. At least customs were being generous, I didn't have to go in and pay anything, most people were just driving straight from the customs booth onto the highway without going in.

The three Yeti rambler colsters I was picking up were $25 each from Dick's Sporting, I see on Amazon.ca they are $39 CDN apiece.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote